Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '59 Ford in the mountains

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Drew Burgess, Apr 3, 2018.

1. philo426

philo426

The red and black always looked good on 59 Fords!

2. Drew Burgess

Drew Burgess

This car is one of my inspirations! I love the color, the chop, everything. PERFECT! Definitely aiming in this direction with mine.

Austinrod and loudbang like this.
  3. Drew Burgess

Drew Burgess

I wonder what their measurements are vs the stock roof. I am not ruling anything out. That is a beautiful dramatic roofline. That roof would go pretty good with a '57 DeSoto grille and bumper too! haha.
    Yeah, I wonder what all would work. I am hitting the car shows this year with my tape measure.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Drew Burgess

Drew Burgess

I consider myself lucky to be a part of this awesome hot-rod community. I have seen many of you guys' builds on here. You are all inspirations to me. I appreciate anything and everything. Thank you, truly.
    upload_2018-5-1_8-33-31.png

I bought a little house (my first house) last weekend. My dad and grandpa came to help me paint it and fix some plumbing. I went for a pizza run, and walking back to the car with pizza in my hand I thought "Damn that old beater is photogenic." upload_2018-5-1_8-33-31.png

55Deso, UNSHINED 2, bobss396 and 4 others like this.
  5. philo426

philo426

Very clean looking,I think the Ford emblem on the front of the hood is missing.

57JoeFoMoPar and loudbang like this.
  6. Nice lookin ride.

Drew Burgess and loudbang like this.
  7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Outstanding.

8. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

That grille is perfect. May do something like that myself. Great looking car!

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. The Custom 300 had the F O R D letters on the hood, no emblem.

10. Drew Burgess

Drew Burgess

Hey everyone, ran into a problem today. The little nut looking part that has the brake-light wires going into it on the master cylinder is dumping brake fluid out. We're talking big time.
    It's an odd shape and size, I'll have to break some plumbing wrenches out to pull it off. Have any of you ran into this? I'm going to convert it to power breaks for a real repair, but right now I'm just trying to get home. I'm on the side of the highway with no breaks at the moment

loudbang likes this.
  11. Terrible80

Terrible80

Sounds like a pressure switch , probably can remove with a Cresent wrench or pliers in a pinch. Autozone or Napa might have it on the shelf. Good luck.

loudbang likes this.
  12. You can limp it off the road using the E-Brake by hand. Just remember to shift it into N before using the brake so it's not still trying to pull you down the road.

13. Yes, any parts house will (should) have one. It's standard 1/8" npt. There are a few different terminal styles.

14. Forgot, 59 is the first year of Foot pedal park brake. To use that one you also want to keep one hand on the release handle so you don't lock the brakes on. Old Cars are fun eh?
    The Wizzard

Drew Burgess, brad2v and loudbang like this.
  15. Drew Burgess and loudbang like this.
  16. Couple of shots of mine from 2016. 629-001.JPG 629-002.JPG 629-008.JPG

brad2v, 55Deso and loudbang like this.
  17. philo426

philo426

I like the tach and aftermarket gauges.The red shift knob is a nice touch also!

bobss396 and loudbang like this.
  18. I'd drive the wheels off it, great car.

19. Thanks, I drive it as often as possible.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Ive owned several 59 fords. My father bought a POS custom with a six and aluminum 2 speed trans brand new in 59. By 1964 that car was shot. I owned a 59 Ranchero. I junked a lot of 59,s to get the nine inch rear and 352 FE. A lot of the 59 FE engines where 300 Hp. The last 59 I owned was a station wagon. It went on to star in the demo derby!

21. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool car, good luck, enjoy !

loudbang likes this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hope you found that stop light switch O.K., just bleed the brakes (good practice to start with the right rear, then left rear, right front then drivers front; farthest away first)
    Use DOT 3 brake fluid, safest to go with whatever was in there previously...

23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Not to be a Dick but you said this is one of you dream cars, what made you want a 59 ford? They are not the most desirable old ford out there. Like I said not to be a dick but I would like to hear your story.

24. Cruizer12

Cruizer12
    from Tucson, AZ

Attached Files:

25. finn

finn

The early brochures don’t include the Galaxie with the formal roof, as it was a late addition to the lineup.

The October dated brochures add the formal roof (and other styles) Galaxie, but still include the lower level Fairlane 500 models with the wrap around rear window.

I suspect both rooflines were offered for the entire year, but the new formal roof was a big hit, so the wrap around window models waned.

loudbang likes this.
  26. They are nice cars. I can still find parts and I have a line on another whole car close by. I just have to go look at it. Someone has a '59 Edsel for sale for $7900 which is essentially the same car.

27. Squablow

Squablow

Not sure if it was mentioned yet but '59 Ford 2 door hardtops and 2 door sedans use the same door shells. The pillars will unbolt from your 2 door sedan doors and you can bolt in hardtop guts. Roofs are the same height using the same skins, the B pillar would need spot welds drilled out to remove it but otherwise making a '59 post into a hardtop is damn near a bolt-in operation if you have the right regulators, window frames, vent windows, and upper weatherstrip channels.

loudbang and 55Deso like this.
  28. 59FORD

59FORD

Great looking 59 Drew. Did you ever get it home that night with the leaky brake light switch.

I might have to carry a spare in my 59 now. My brake light switch is 15 years old.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  29. 59FORD

59FORD

Not to high jack the thread. I always loved the 59 do to it not having fins or wings. Most 59 models either had a fin or more of a flat wing style. One other reason is the fact they are different. Everyone goes to the 59 Chevy.
    Being in SoCal, You can attend a show and not see another one. Take Mooneyes Xmas party foe example, 600+ cars and only one 59 Ford.
    But they are a very hard car to make look good as a custom.
    Here's a most recent pic of mine. It looks better in pics than it does in person. Hard to tell but half the car is rattled canned.
    IMG_7627.jpg

30. Drew Burgess

Drew Burgess

Hey! just got some free time to update. Yeah, the dang pressure switch blew out. It was my birthday and the day before my wedding so I was short on patience with it. It was a cheap part and an easy fix luckily. I have since rebuilt the generator and replaced a couple hoses and gaskets. It is running pretty dang well.
    One dumb question I have for you fellow Y-Block v8 guys, how much power do these things have usually? Mine is pretty gutless. I am curious if the camshaft is worn out. Any thoughts?

59FORD likes this.