Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Axle straightening and stuck kingpin

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by george.barnes.754, Apr 29, 2018.

1. So the axle I picked up yesterday has a little bend to it. Needs to not be bent. Where can I send it to have it straightened? I do not have a press.

Also, it has a spindle on one side. That needs to come off. I have been beatin on this kingpin with a 3lb hammer going on 2 days now. Soaked it overnight in penetrating oil, and it still won't move. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

2. Heat is your friend,fire up the torch and get it hot,the king pin will vome out. HRP

porknbeaner likes this.
  3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Take it to an auto machine shop and have the kingpin removed on their press. They can also install new bushings, hone them on a Sunnen hone and reassemble the king pins and spindles.

If they know what they are doing they can straighten the axle although, it will need a front end alignment for the final touch. If your local alignment shop won't do a straight axle truck shops will, lots of big trucks have straight axles. Your car will be child's play for them.

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My '37 Chevrolet manual specifically says NOT to heat the axle to bend it. Try a truck repair shop for straightening the axle.

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Use a 8 pound sledge, use a short pice of bar stock or a socket you don’t need, hit it hard, that’s hard, make sure your spindle is setting on a solid, heavy surface, with clearance.That will get it started, then it will come out. Bones

6. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Press it out. Is this a special axle? Bent etc... Just asking.

7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Just a 32 ford heavy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

9. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Ya heavy 32s aren't that rare. But worth saving. then sids if you want to save it.

Not a huge difference in a straight 33-36 axle. Bet ya wouldn't break it.

usually the perches are the issue to remove, assuming you have removed the kingpin retaining bolt/pin.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  10. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

For you guys that keep referencing Sid, he does not do 28-36 Ford axles.

11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

His website shows model t axles thru econoline axles.

12. Just to ask the question, I assume you have the tapered locking pin out of the axle - which also acts as a hard spindle rotation stop?

I've never had a hard time removing a king pin - it is the spring perches that can be a bitch. I'd also have no problem heating it with something like a propane torch - just not too hot. A hydraulic press with proper support on the bottom of the axle would be how I'd do it - if it was really stuck.

13. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Heat it up and let it cool and hit it again with some heat and when she cools press her out.
    I like Ansen Axles for drops and repairs , he's a one man shop so quality is first speed is second. So it takes a bit of time but worth it ....

14. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

From Sid's website;
    IMPORTANT NOTES
    • The 1928-36 Ford car axles are the only axles I don't drop

15. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yet he shows them available in various drops. Odd...
    Perhaps he farms them out to another shop that has dedicated forging equipment to keep the flow of the axle as uniform as possible. Those ARE the axles that are the most popular and the most visible when in use!

16. From sid's site

We drop the axle the vintage way like they did years ago. We use factory forged steel axles for 1928-64 Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge and other brands.

17. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

1946caddy's quote is correct though. Found it myself.
    I dunno...something doesn't add up.

18. If he doesn't OKIE JOE will and they are in the same shop.

I got to say this to @george.barnes.754 if you have a '32 Heavy and its bent someone must have hit something that did not move, uh real hard. There are some tricks to getting a king pin out of an old axle, but end of the day if you don't have a press it ends up being pure John Henry work.