Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wide five widening..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Apr 24, 2018.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I like the look of a bit wider wheel out back.
    I went to my local u pull it today and kicked around and found a set of steel wheels.
    This is what I found, It was marked Ford but I later found out its a MOPAR wheel. In the last photo you can see its stamped 16x 6 1/2 made 10/13/99. I cant tell you what they came off of since they were in a pile of wheels and not on a car/truck. anywho the inner of the wide five fits like a glove inside the MOPAR rim.
    So if you want a wider wide 5 for cheap this is the ticket!!!! IMG_2769.JPG IMG_2771.jpg IMG_2772.JPG IMG_2773.JPG IMG_2774.JPG IMG_2775.JPG IMG_2776.JPG

brEad, Mart, dana barlow and 11 others like this.
  2. Whoa nice! Hopefully someone can ID them. I could use a set for one of my projects. How hard were they to get apart?

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

The Mopar wheel was a cocksucker, I ended up cutting thru the holes around the inner, beating on what was left. After I had cut thru the weld. The wide five was a piece of cake, drilled out the rivets heated the ring with a rosebud and tapped out the center.

46international and cactus1 like this.

4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Found a site that listed these wheels as Dodge minivan, concord, Intrepid.

cactus1 likes this.
  5. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

This is some 6.5 wide .I got them from a 2000 chevy fullsize truck. They were the spares. Don't forget to move the wheelwide50023el.jpg wheelwide50031bn.jpg wheelwide50104ea (1).jpg valve stem.

6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

My buddy did that but it has to much offset. The dodge rims center everything a bit better and you dont have to drill a new valve stem hole.

Tim likes this.
  7. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Awesome!

Thanks for sharing
    Bobby

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I am going to measure a 40-48 wheel today and see if this Dodge rim works. If so this might be a great way to get a wide wheel from an old ford center and Dodge rim and cheap to boot!

9. I used 8x16 falcon hoops on the rear. I drilled the rivets then cut the rim across between the spaces.

Attached Files:

10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I got one wheel done still have to get the other side cleaned up so I can get a good weld on it. Did a run out and it was under 10,000th checked a stock wheel and it was over 50,000th IMG_2780.JPG

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Tim, 46international, j-jock and 3 others like this.
  11. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

top job mate...well done

12. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

This is a good thread with some really useful info...but I gotta question the penetration of those welds.
    I would be getting those redone by a professional.
    Sorry to bring that up, but those are critical joints with a lot of flex and loading to absorb.
    Your life depends on them being done well!

alanp561, LM14, Poh and 2 others like this.
  13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Why though...when you can go to the yard and grab what you need?
    This is the kind of stuff that some of us find the most fun...myself included! ;)

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks for the consern. I can see the penetration on the inside of the wheel. I think I got it.

15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

If anyone is going to do this swap grab one of these 3m sanders(at any local hardware store) it fits perfect in all the recesses in the wide five. Might as well clean it up as much as possible while its apart. IMG_2786.JPG
    IMG_2787.JPG

brEad, Tim, bobbytnm and 1 other person like this.
  16. Gerrys

Gerrys

looks like a Dodge Caravan rim 1996-2000

17. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome thread- thanks for sharing. The other advantage of what you have done is that you now have a "safety rim". If you notice, there is a second bead on the inside of the wheel lip that helps to retain the bead of the tire in the event of a blowout. Old ford wheels don't have this modern safety feature....

18. cool...thanks for sharing....

19. atch

atch

Anyone know if this would also work for the somewhat more common '40 - '48 (or later for pickups) steel wheels?

i.e., is the inner diameter of the wide 5 wheel rims the same as the later wheels?

20. Nope, won,t work.

21. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Are the 40-48 wheels 15". If so a popular donor wheel is the 10" wide mid 80's GM truck wheels
    [​IMG]

22. atch

atch

Too bad.

Sorry for the temporary derail. Now back to the thread.

EDIT; looks like I was typing while bobby was posting.

23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

40 -48 wheels are not 15' they are 16'. The 5'x5 1/2' should be the same. I have several sitting in the shop I will take a measurement on them tonight.

24. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Silly question, how do you get the center perfectly straight in the hoop?
    I don't think I would trust a tape measure and my eye.

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

With a run out gauge. Dont know the exact name of it though.
    A guy could also set up a gauge on the backing plate( a piece of metal bolted to the wheel cylinder bolt hole) and run the rim around tapping highs and lows until it touched your gauge all the way around.

brEad and wheeldog57 like this.
  26. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Well no go for the 40-48 wheel. Heres the proof.
    The wood stick was all I was armed with when I went to the salvage yard to find the now famous Dodge Intrepid 16x6 1/2" wheel. IMG_2792.jpg
    IMG_2793.jpg

Atwater Mike and bobbytnm like this.
  27. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Thanks for the correction on the 40-48 wheels. After I had posted I got to thinking that they were probably 16's. For those looking to go that route you could very easily use Rusty Rocket's technique and hit the wrecking yard. There are bound to be many hoops that would fit the bill.

Here's a great article on the process;
    http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/02/Steelies/

28. clem

clem

My thoughts exactly.
    Although it is also the life of those coming towards you in the opposite direction that I am also concerned for.

29. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks for the concern guys, Like said before I can see the penetration coming thru on the inside of the wheel. I know for a fact that I'm not the best welder but I feel comforable that it burned in. It wouldnt hurt to throw a plug weld on though.

slim38, bobbytnm and clem like this.