Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 Buick special project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Mack0331, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Fortyfordcmm

Fortyfordcmm

Harbor freight stuff throw away

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

finally got my transmission back. A little annoyed about two things. I specifically asked if the price they quoted me included rebuilding the torque ball and the guy said the price includes everything it needed. Well they didn't rebuild the torque ball I got that back in a box. Oh well I ordered a rebuild kit for it. Second they don't have the 3 open spots in converter for the flexplate to attach to in the right position. They have two open holes next to each other. Not big things just a little annoying.

[​IMG]

biggeorge and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I'm curious about the converter/flex plate problem. Got some pictures?

4. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

These pics are from Google cause I'm not at home. Mine is basically like this except the flywheel I guess you' call it that the starter engages bolts to the converter with all those bolts around the outside. 3 of those bolt holes are for the flex plate to attach to. The open holes should be in a tringle like the ones I've circled. When I took it apart these open spots had studs coming through from the back side . the studs went through the flexplate and a but attached it all. When they put it back together they did not put the stud's back in I have no idea what they did with them. They also did not leave the correct bolt holes open for the flex plate to attach they left 2 holes right beside each other open then one oppsite that. Its not really a problem just a annoyance . I guess with how these are ballenced there 3 specific places the flex plate attaches to. It shows in the manual how to figure out which are the correct spots and I can just get some grade 8 bolts to attach the flexplate so not a huge deal 20180320_114618.jpg s-l225.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Fabber McGee like this.
  5. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

Got the torque ball all rebuilt and the trans and motor in. The trans mount I got from CARS was a real piece of precision engineering lol. Wasn't even close to fitting. Had to elongate the two end holes on the crossmember to get it to fit. Its all in though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BJR

BJR

Boy thats purdy!

gggholson and Mack0331 like this.
  7. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your doing great!

Mack0331 likes this.
  8. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

You're doing a great job. My dad gave me a 57 Century 4dr hardtop when I was 16 in '66. He bought a 57 Super 2dr hardtop to replace it. I really liked that car.

Mack0331 likes this.
  9. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

Holy shit boys the body is back on. Sprayed the underside with raptor bed liner and got it set back on. The rear end needs to come left a bit I think the panhard bar is bent. Is it supposed to have a bend in it like in my pic or be straight ? It had that bend in it when I got the car thought it might just be like that but the rear is deffinetly too far to the right side of the car so something's up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. philo426

philo426

Pardon my ignorance.Should not that rod be straight?Btw that Buick is sooo bad ass!Love how swoopy it is in the back!

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Me thinks its bent too. The Roadmaster I posted pics of a while back has disappeared from town, or I would look at it. Someone on here will know. Looking really good. How did you like the Raptor?

12. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

The only reason I wasn't sure if that bar was supposed to be straight or not was cause the one in this car had that bend in it when I got it and the one on another car I pulled the rear end out for parts also had a bend like that. The guys over in the Buick section on AACA forum say it should be straight so I'll either try and find another one or make one. No big deal.

The raptor liner seems to be pretty good. I'm probably going a bit over board with it by spraying the entire interior of the body , underside , inside of doors and fenders all that but I figure better to go over board on stuff now that's its all apart than to get it back together and have something rust out in a few years

13. philo426

philo426

No harm in adding additional rust protection.

14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

The Raptor should also be some excellent sound deadener, the shop I worked at used it a lot.

biggeorge likes this.
  15. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

Got the body all down to bare metal and got a coat of primer on it. Didn't want to leave it bare metal too long. Didn't mask off the inside cause I'm going to put another coat of raptor liner inside anyway . body work will start shortly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

Got the doors and fenders in primer. I'm really getting tired of sanding ! Got the doors and the fenders on. Everything is going together pretty well for just a initial test fit. It looks like a car again for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Sauli

Sauli

I really like Your progress so far, especially knowing how these are not exactly the easiest cars to work on.Two thumbs up!!

Mack0331 likes this.
  18. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

This is fun to watch. I had a totally stock 57 Buick with the 364 a few years back . Never had to touch it except drive it for about 5 years. Transmission never leaked. Would have never sold it but my daughter needed some money worse than I needed the car. It was a real joy to own.

chryslerfan55 and Mack0331 like this.
  19. philo426

philo426

Looking good!Was it hard to hang the doors so that they opened and closed properly?

20. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

These went on easy. In that picture they are pretty much just slapped on there with no real time spent aligning them or anything. For basically just putting some bolts in they aren't to bad. They will need a little adjusting here and there but so far better than I thought it would be.

21. philo426

philo426

Yeah some of the guys on the HAMB have a heck of a time getting the doors to close properly.You must have marked the correct position with a scratch awl before removing them.

22. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Okay, I'll admit it, I'm a four door snob, two doors are just the right amount. That being said,
    I'm digging the way your Buick is coming along and eager to see the finished product. Good luck.

scotty t and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

I'm normally the same way but I actually like 4 doors on this particular car and its a win win for me since I have kids. I have had people asking me why I'm putting so much effort and money into a 4 door . I've also had people think its cool too.

scotty t, chryslerfan55 and quick85 like this.
  24. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

25. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

When I bought my 57 Century last fall I was looking specifically for a 4 door. The 4 door has the same lines and styling as the 2 door, the roof is the same, the only difference I can see is the added convenience of not having to squeeze back seat passengers through the front doors getting them in and out.
    Never could see the attraction most guys have for 2 door cars. I love 'em, but these big old boats will never be sports cars. 4 door cars are less in demand and that reduces the price a bit, so that's fine with me.
    You're doing a great job, I am thoroughly enjoying following along, thanks.

chryslerfan55 and Mack0331 like this.
  26. philo426

philo426

Yes plus as far as 4 doors go,that Buick looks better than most!

Mack0331 likes this.
  27. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I'm curious what sort of cushions does the body sit on and did you replace them? My car is currently sitting in Spokane on a trailer behind my motorhome waiting for me to drive it up the Alcan Highway in a couple weeks or I'd look for myself. Left it there a month ago til the road is dry. Wasn't anxious to pull that 6500 pound (car and trailer) load through the Canadian Rockies when they were covered with ice, haha.
    Seeing your car all blown apart has answered a lot of questions I've had about mine. I shouldn't have to ever pull mine down like that, it's a 25,000 mile car in basically rust free condition.

28. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

there's a 2 inch square 1/2 inch thick rubber mount that goes between the body and frame and a 2 inch diameter 1/2 in thick circle rubber pad that goes on the bottom side between the bolt and frame then there's a metal core that goes in them to prevent squeezing it down to far. Yes I replaced all of them. I'm replacing or rebuilding every thing on the car. Any questions you have I can probably help you with I literally had every nut and bolt off the car. 45b5a73f041c5534fee9c96e0f4f.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Peanut 1959 like this.
  29. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Don't know about the body mounts, but all the door gaskets and every other piece of rubber I've looked at on mine is dead. Seen a lot of suppliers ads, so it looks like everything is available. Where are you getting your rubber?

30. Mack0331

Mack0331
    from Auburn WA

I got the mounts and a lot of other parts from oldbuickparts.com also kanter.com and fusick.com have a lot of stuff.

Evil Emery and chryslerfan55 like this.