Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical "A" pillar work on 49-52 Chevy Chops

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RMONTY, Apr 28, 2018.

1. RMONTY

RMONTY

I see a lot of threads for chops on these cars, but it seems like everyone focuses on the rear window, sail panels, and "B" pillar work. There seems to be very few clear pics or detailed descriptions of work on how the "A" pillar work is done. I am looking for "A" pillar pics and descriptions of the work around the front windshield for chopping the front of a 1951 Chevy 2 door for my Chopped Sedan Delivery project. My goal is to do the least amount of tipping or leaning of the pillars.

Post them up if you have them please! Thanks!

2. 4" chop, no tipping or leaning, One thing we did do was added a piece of 3/8 round stock into the lower part of the A pillar when the roof was off, it helped keep everything lined up when it was going back together

Attached Files:

gimpyshotrods and CME1 like this.
  3. RMONTY

RMONTY

Looks great! Have any build pics of the A pillars? Did you have to adjust anything on the roof section, and if so, where did you make the adjustment.

4. We didn't have to adjust anything, we cut out what we needed and slid it back together, just remember, if you need to make and adjustment move one pillar or the other in, you can't stretch the glass.

gimpyshotrods likes this.

5. I have noticed these cars seem to trap moisture under the windshield gasket on the driver's side A-pillar, leading to rust inside of it, to the point I had one parts car the whole driver's door had fallen off because it had dripped down in behind the hinges and rotted that area out. If it's at all possible to clean up inside of the post before putting it back together and sealing it with something you may want to do that. It could just be a northern/northeastern thing too.