Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electric engine cooling fan on a 1940 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MIKE STEWART, Apr 27, 2018.

1. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Driving my Ford last weekend, and after 16 years - my Cooling Components fan with shroud quit running. I sent email and left message to purchase a replacement fan motor. After one week, no response. Question: Vintage air - offers a very similar unit - like Cooling Components - but rated at 2700 CFM and CC is 2500 CFM and it is $50 bucks less.

This car has a 351 - W and a Walker radiatior. In the past - Vintage Air has been great about repair parts - and Cooling Components have not returned my call or email. Any opinions or suggestions.

Thanks.

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

I believe Cooling Components is under new ownership. I'd have no problems going with any Vintage Air products especially if the CFM's are 200 higher and the price $50 lower.

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Give these guys a call.
    https://deltapag.com/

Small, light brushless motors (no brushes to wear out), wing shaped blades. built to last.

Mike

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  4. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speedway stocks almost all Cooling Components fans. Give them a holler.

-Abone.

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put an override on my fan the other night while wrapping up the wiring job on my roadster. When I tested the switch that SPAL fan blew shit off the floor and out the door. I swear I could feel the breeze inside the car. There may have been the slightest amount of frame twist from the torque.

7. I was looking at Spal fans on Summit. The ones with the mounts, relay, etc were getting up there on price. Went and looked on eBay, got the fan with the works for $10 over the base Spal price on Summit.

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My fuse box came with a fan relay so I am not using the spal unit, still new in box with wiring if anyone wants it, you pay shipping. PM me.

9. Save your hard earned $$ and pick one from your local salvage. Good selection, right price, etc. That's what we've done.................

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

Posting this picture of a 2006 Toyota Camry dual electric fan set up I have on my 63 BelAir 2 door post car. Works great no cooling problems. Runs cool A/C on or off. Looks as if its made for the stock 63 radiator. Costs much less then any Cooling Components type fan. Car in my HAMB avatar has a steel engine driven fan and cools as well as the Toyota set up.

Gary IMG_0422.JPG

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  11. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I see Speedway sells the complete unit and has them in stock. Maybe they can get you a replacement fan only for it.
    I have successfully copied and used this mounting CC design using 14" fans readily available that claim 3000 CFS . You can look into buying a caged 14 inch fan. Then remove it from the caged housing and install it in your CC shroud. Just a couple of ideas for you to consider. Good luck.

upload_2018-4-27_18-9-21.png

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

Pick and Pull...40 bucks for a single, 60 for a dual fan setup...factory stuff lasts a good long time.

Measure it up and take a walk through the yard.

Gman0046 and MIKE STEWART like this.
  13. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

READ THE MFGR's specs closely. CC fans draw 60 amps on startup and can fry relays or wiring. Large dia fan blades have lots of startup inertia!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Actually, the Delta fans I mention above (#3), were originally designed to "replace" the two spd., heavy duty, dead fans in New York taxis cabs. Which from what I understand, did a very good job of doing.

Brushless motors are a MUCH better design in the use of electricity than brushed motors. Time to move into the 21st century..!
    All the controls, wiring, etc. are included. They draw very light amperage compared to brushed based motors.

Mike

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I would not hesitate to buy from Vintage Air myself. I have a spare CCI fan motor that I carry. Long story as to why. I would not be opposed to sending it to you if that helps.

16. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Sam at CCI called me after a few days and a second inquiry. They will sell replacement motor for $125. This older style is about 4 inches clearance. I had to center this electric fan motor in my crank pulley - with the Ford Motor sports short v-belt pulleys and water pump - tight fit requiring removal to even change v drive belts. The new fans are rated at 2700 CFM and 2.62 inches thick vs the 4 inches, but the fan blade is different. I will order this new CCI fan and already have the heavy duty 70 amp relay from Vintage Air - and will use the petcock V-A switch - that is adjustable to cycle on and off. I might buy the older replacement motor if I want to install the older CCI unit on my 1939 Ford Coupe that has the 327 Chevy and manual fan. So far - the old school manual fan works well - but this car is not road worthy yet.

Gman0046 likes this.