Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. welded up the white one and aligned the back edge. a few minutes over an hour. DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0005.JPG

Turbo57, Fern 54 and TFoch like this.
  2. madmike3434

madmike3434

gas tank cover fender support.jpg on rear end of frame.jpg those angled slots on the side of the gas tank cover panel are important in the alignment to the fender.

On a 1934-1935 Chevrolet standard there was a special brace that bolted too the frame with 1/4" bolts and also joined the fender and the gas tank cover at the top bolt as a support. I know the 34 master had one for each side, not sure about the 33 ????

Once the panel is mounted make sure there is no gap between the frame horn and the cover where the bumper brace mounts. Otherwise the panel will get crushed in that area. I made metal shims of the right thickness and then MIG'd them to frame horn for perfect fit. The body , front to back, has to be in the correct position with body bolts .

mike lynch

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  3. my 33 standard has the little brace that is bolted to the frame.
    can a master rear apron be cut down to fit a standard? i know it is wider, but is the angle the same?

4. madmike3434

madmike3434

I just posted 2 pictures of the rear gas tank / fender support bracket for 34-35 chev standards, no idea if it applies to 1933 standards. I had these water jet cut out and then bought a small brake to bend them. I made 25 pair of them , think maybe 6--8 pair are left. Have not advertised them whats left in over a year. They were copied from a pair of originals.

The 34-35 std frame has the factory holes about 6--7" from the end, 33 standard ??????

Because a 1933 Chevrolet standard is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO rare, I have never seen one in person. Because I have a standard 1935 I know this car and everything about it , inside and out. I would have had to have owned a master series 33--34 to have specific knowledge on them.
    I do know that the various fiberglass people have been offering the gas tank cover to 1933---1935 standards over the years. I do know that the rear bumper mount frame horn , center to center spacing on 1933 std is slightly different than 34-35 standard. I have lost that info as I was looking for it last week.

As far as cutting down a master cover to fit a standard, anything is possible, but unless you possess the tools and specific skills to pull it off without making a mess , is your call.

If you have a 33--35 std cover and a 33 master cover, and a 1933 std car, you would have to take a lot of measurements of each with attempted fitting to the 33 and make your final decision, to cut or not to cut. ???

Off to USA Rochester NY again in the morning , for my second attempt to cross, this time with my waiver pass.
    Got lots of neat things I bought on ebay to bring home for shazzbott my 35 roadster.

mike lynch

5. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Mikes 34 3 window rolling on all four wheels.jpg Mike @drifter9 sent me this photo of his '34 Master coupe, rolling now with front and rear suspension. That red dropped axle was in my possession and on my '31 since 1997, now proudly bolted in his coupe. Will see street duty soon enough!!

As far as my coupe goes, I'm really psyched to be finally firing up my new welder next week! I've got my work cut out for me, attempting to learn how to weld on my chassis. The front frame horns has become a big headache as I begin to trim down and weld in the new frame horns from a '32 Ford. Thinking about what I am planning to accomplish, I might be one of a very few Chevy owners in the country who had this done.

Turbo57, Torkwrench, Fern 54 and 2 others like this.
  6. Good looking 3 window !!! Always a good feeli g to get them rolling .I have a couple of trunk lids , I would probably part with 1 of them .

7. 31chevymike

31chevymike

That's cool Joe, Mike has been in the hunt for a trunk lid. He has some radical plans with his coupe, some of which to add a blower motor within the original rails. In my area, there are very few radical Chevy hot rods to see and enjoy.

wood remover likes this.
  8. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Since I never had fenders on the car since I picked it up never actually saw where tires sat in the wheel well except pic I had from past owner. Well today set a rear fender in place and even with my coil overs in lowest mount way to high for me. So looks like time to cut out the frame bar mount we put in and raise it up with a new one that sits higher and will be up in the trunk area like sketch. The pics with the back fender how I want to end up for height.

Attached Files:

Fern 54, 31chevymike and TFoch like this.
  9. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

This is how it was sitting with fenders from previous owner didn't look to bad and we built to have about 2.5 inches of drop but when I put fender on just not low enough for me so I'm guessing photo angle didn't really give true perspective of how high it was sitting.

Attached Files:

Fern 54 likes this.
  10. I am used to it !!!
    1 step forward
    2 steps back , if I am lucky

11. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Yep lol back apart again

Attached Files:

12. madmike3434

madmike3434

Is that the TORONTO 2 step , or the MISSISSAUGA 2 step ???

I seem to be in a constant WHITBY 2 or 3 step lately. Done to blaring boogie woogie music in my garage.

mike lynch

13. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Kind of quiet in here

14. Prot68

Prot68
    from Oklahoma

20180119_143453.jpg non traditional but worth a look..

15. madmike3434

madmike3434

1934 Chevrolet master series 3 window coupe. Its traditional in that it was the style starting in the mid 60's. Full fendered, stock head lights and bumpers. Don't remember anybody doing two tone paint schemes back them. Not around here anyway. Few cars got painted, most were in primer. More traditional look would be cragar SS or american racing wheels.

mike lynch

16. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Judging from wheels typical 1980-90 build probably billet interior parts

17. Prot68

Prot68
    from Oklahoma

yep, built in late 90's..not my style,,will have some modern amenities for the sake of safety/comfort, but less billet..suppose more of a mix of vibes...pic was first post ever and is new project

wood remover likes this.
  18. Other than the colours and wheels , looks like a great car , fibreglass running boards I assume . Seen a few cars two toned and looked good , but myself I am not a fan of the orange and silver

19. madmike3434

madmike3434

not sure what TRADITIONAL build would be, when it comes to pre 1940 chev bodies..

Question to others, what do you determine a traditional build to be and what era .
    Style build of cars would definitely would also be where your from, WEST COAST, EAST COAST , definitely had their own specific characteristics. Down south , up north Detroit, Minn.

Sink your teeth into this and lets know what you think.

mike lynch

20. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Car is nice just wheels date it to the time period. Guys put a lot of money into those cars with all the billet multi color paint and custom tweed interiors

21. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

22. late fifties/early sixties, east coast build....... 12470788863_d98ac7f6b4_c.jpg 12470810813_74f72c8a75_c.jpg

Torkwrench, Król, Fern 54 and 2 others like this.
  23. ^^^^^
    One of my favorite Chevys

Fern 54, Bowtie Coupe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  24. Prot68

Prot68
    from Oklahoma

got out of the muscle car stage, tastes have changed with age i guess, but bow- tie loyal...car is very nice project, just have to make it my own..its predecessor: 20170819_101926.jpg [

25. madmike3434

madmike3434

that's a very pretty chevelle, be hard to part with that.

mike lynch

26. Prot68

Prot68
    from Oklahoma

Thanks..

27. Going tomorriw to look at a barn find 1932 convertable landeau phaeton .
    Will take some pictures .
    Have seen the car once prior but was not
    Available at that time and didnt really look closely at it .

jgrohio, Six Ball and TFoch like this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You've to to be excited. We used to be able to look several old cars a week that had been stashed or abandoned. It's a rare event now. Good luck.

jgrohio likes this.
  29. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Got the rear end set up refabricated today. Made the new raised support for the coil overs. IMG_2043.jpg IMG_2047.jpg IMG_2048.jpg IMG_2049.jpg

Turbo57, Fern 54, TFoch and 1 other person like this.
  30. madmike3434

madmike3434

shame that your going to have to run over somebody in order for the really neat rear end metal trickery to show up.

mike lynch