Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Want to put my fat fender on the road .... Need some info / advice ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dale Gribble, Apr 5, 2018.

1. https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=64

Call these guys and get more info.
    This is the custom parts you'll need, on top of this you'll need the calipers rotors hoses and pads maybe bearings and seals. Hopefully you can scavenge the application off your yard.
    The wear items, bearings, rotors and pads will be common sourced stuff. If you fuk up a spindle, destroy the hub, bend a bracket on the journey you'll be stuck. (Highly Unlikely)
    image.png

There are other complete kits out there but 1000- 1500 more that $350.
    I can assure you that you could not get much cheaper than 350 for all the key parts.

Okie Pete likes this.
  2. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

3. gene-koning

gene-koning

I believe Dale needs to brush up on his reading skills.

He has been told how to do nearly everything he is looking for.

I have given him a web site where he can gain all the info he desires if he wants to swap out the frame.

The troll is seeking drama. Gene

4. Dale Gribble

Dale Gribble
    from Arlen tx

There's no "troll seeking drama" to it thank you very much . Yes there's good info here , exactly what I wanted . I see now to adapt brakes , motor etc . I see where I will and will not be able to get help here . I see who and who has been here with these cars and can guide me .im just an old lowrider with a car habit .... And your misguided attempt at an insult was duly noted ... And dismissed .....

5. Dale Gribble

Dale Gribble
    from Arlen tx

Thanks for the helpful info fellas !

6. Dale Gribble

Dale Gribble
    from Arlen tx

Well , I took option D ! I bought a 1948 dodge tonight that only needs tires and a brake line replaced. The original flathead 6 runs like a dream and the price was right ! Going to sell the 49 to fund some of the mods . Want a tradional custom build , ala 1950's ...

Attached Files:

Peanut 1959, F-ONE and Okie Pete like this.
  7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Those are tough cars. They were used as Taxis in New York City before Checkers.
    Correction....I believe most of those were in fact DeSotos. Still the same family though.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  8. Dale Gribble

Dale Gribble
    from Arlen tx

I recall seeing photos of old dodge police cars here locally based on these ... I forgot about them until now ....

9. Dale Gribble

Dale Gribble
    from Arlen tx

Video of it running from last night

10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

hey hey I cut a column and steering wheel from a .rotting firewall in briars. I also salvaged the speedo,all like the ones in the video.so now I know they are from a dodge hearse.ill adapt the column shifter to my 38 in time when im up and running.nice car bud

11. I had a 51 Plymouth that I installed a 350/350 dick brakes and a newer rear end. I drove it a couple of times and hated it. I might as well have been driving a s-10 as said earlier. I actually started looking for a stock frame to put it back on and running gear. I am sorry but part of it being an old car is leaving it an old car.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm late to the party but I'd stick with the stock frame and if the stock engine isn't up to snuff do and engine, trans and rear axle swap. I'm not sure how long one of those 4.0 Jeep straight sixes is but that and a few other pieces that fit with it should keep things simple and those engines will get out and run with the big dogs on the highway if you want to.
    If you work where you have access to a lot of interesting candidates I'd think that a bit of measuring and a bit of looking might come up with a combo that is simple and reliable (if you work in that sort of place you damned well know what isn't reliable) and easy to get parts for or swap parts on.

13. Dale Gribble

Dale Gribble
    from Arlen tx

Meh , the 49 is on the back burner now .... See the above running 48 , it's the current build ....