Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1971 chevy 350, 4 or 5 quarts oil?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeggySue, Apr 25, 2018.

1. PeggySue

PeggySue

Stumbled on this today where some said all earlier 350's with stock pan take 5 qt with filter change. My stock oil pan 1971, 350 is right at full mark with 4 .25 qts and filter change. Dip stick looks like correct stock one with GM marks on it. Couple other thought there were some early 350's that took 4 qt's

2. Which filter did you use? Some, for instance the Fram PH5, has a little more capacity than a Fram PH30. Other brands may be different as well. Don't know if there would be a .75 qt. difference, but might be something to think about.

3. henry29

henry29

I use 5 in mine

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Size of the filter does have a bit to do with it. I usually put 4 quarts in a Small block like that that I don't know from past oil changes and start it up and run it for a minute or so, shut it off and let it sit for a bit and check it top it off. I've been doing that for about 55 years when doing oil changes.
    On regular old 350 engines there are at least three rather common sizes the two that he gave in post 2 except I would suggest using a Wix rather than Fram and the much taller ones that are used on larger trucks. Those hold about 2 quarts but stick too far down for most applications.

olscrounger and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. PeggySue

PeggySue

It was a Wix 51060, Went and checked what was left in my 5 qt new oil jug , it was 4qts not the 4.25 I put in.

6. town sedan

town sedan

How fresh is the engine? Could there be a quart of sludge built up in the pan? Has the engine been rebuilt and the dip stick tube installed at a different height than it was originally?

Haven't played with many sbc's but I was under the impression they were all either 5 or 6qts with a filter depending on the vehicle they were in.

One possible explanation: You've got gremlins!
    -Dave

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. ............Did you measure a "true" quart or use the gradient on the plastic jug? I wouldn't feel that they are on the money accurate, but only 4 total qts. with new filter is a little strange.

lothianwilly71 and olscrounger like this.
  8. PeggySue

PeggySue

Engine was rebuilt 600 miles ago.. Dip stick looks to be installed correct, seated to the collar on the block.

9. PeggySue

PeggySue

Used a liquid ounce measuring container.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Just did mine
    79 350 stock plan
    Larger oil filter
    5 quarts full
    Edit... Used full jug

11. Did you start it up and run it a bit then let it sit and check it again? Reason is if ya just dumped the oil in the engine and then checked it ya might not have gotten the filter full.

Elcohaulic and Special Ed like this.
  12. BJR

BJR

Try another dipstick from a friends 350, and see fir it's the same. It could have the wrong dipstick in it.

13. PeggySue

PeggySue

Yes' have changed oil before this. Just check it little bit ago, after 10 mile test run couple days ago.

14. PeggySue

PeggySue

Don't have any 71's around that I know of. From what I have researched the newer ones are for sure 5 or 6 qts.

15. PeggySue

PeggySue

I guess what I'm trying to figure out was there a 4 and 5 qt motor in the earlier years?

16. The old PF 35 held more oil. The new numbers we get hold less. Only know of one auto supply that can give me what used to be the PF35 size. It's their house brand. They are an independent auto store. I still do Five qts.

17. indyjps

indyjps

Wix 51794, Napa 1794, Fram PH373. Heavy truck, long filters.

18. I never saw or heard of one until this that didn't take the full five quarts on an oil/filter change.

19. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! I used the AC PF-35 oil filter on all the small block powered cars I had in the past.... Including the 305.. Extra filtering capacity and no problems with ground clearance....

20. PeggySue

PeggySue

So what I hearing I should do the larger filter and dump in 5 qts , even if the dip stick shows over full?

21. Deuces

Deuces

Don't think it's gonna hurt anything.... Yes! I would... ;)

22. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I've changed oil in a lot of small block Chevys and never found one that didn't hold at least 5 quarts when the filter is changed. We got an Olds Cutlass in trade with a 350 that the lifters rattled in. The owners said he had used Amsoil since it was new. When I drained the oil, I only got about a quart out. I put in 3 quarts and it was way over full. I took the valve covers off and the covers were full of sludge. I ended up pulling the oil pan and that was full of sludge too. Ended up pulling the intake too to scrape everything out and clean it using diesel fuel. Put it together, put 5 quarts of transmission fluid in it and ran it for a couple of hours. The lifter clatter stopped and I changed oil again. We sold it "as is" and told the buyer it might need an engine. He bought it for his kids to drive and they put 20,000 miles on it before one of them totaled the car. I was surprised the engine survived.

23. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Is the belly of the pan bent in from something like the shop floor or most likely a jack?

24. The only way to know for sure would be to pull the oil pan and put in four quarts of oil and see what you got. My 327 pan holds four quarts at the baffle, what I consider full. I could put more in, but I figure the top of the baffle, around the oil pump, is as far as it should go. This way you know the oil is not interfering with the crank.

As far as the dip stick goes, I would remark it. You already know that 4.25 quarts is at the "full" mark. So re-mark at exactly 4 quarts or 5. Check it again after you fire off the engine and fill the filter.

Remember you are checking the volume of oil in the pan with a dip stick. Calibrate the stick to a known volume and your good.

town sedan likes this.
  25. PeggySue

PeggySue

Sorry gone all day appointments. I'm going to drain the oil pan to make sure what I have for quarts and drop the filter, my memory may not be serving me right , back of my mine thinks now I may have added parcel qt. after the 4 quarts. Found AC filters one 2 qt and one 1 qt, going to order one of them and go from there.

26. Budget36

Budget36

Seems you're over thinking it. Just put a normal filter on it, put in 5 quarts...then drive it. Folks have done it this way since SBC's came with an oil filter....then again, if you have a big dent in your oil pan....

Fordors likes this.
  27. PeggySue

PeggySue

No dents, I have the Wix 51060, mid size filter. Probably going to do like you say. Just for my own piece of mine I'm going to drain everything and double check what I have in for sure.

Budget36 likes this.