Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Roadster Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

That is an excellent roadster you are building. It is good that you are getting your son involved with it. I got my love of cars from my father at a young age. Good Luck with it.

2. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You. Oskar -son is interesting about cars, mostly hot rods (because we have only hot rods).
    I hope that he is interested in another hobbies too (football, baseball, icehockey,....).
    Now number one are school, friends, legos,...

When I was young my parents were working 7days week (farmers) and nobody else in my family or our neighbours were interested cars or motorcycles. They didn´t have time or interest, but my sister husband help me little ( he is 10years older) and teach me welding etc....
    I was 19years old when I bought my first American car, 1967 camaro and built it very nice during first winter season 31y ago. After that Street race 1955 chevy,....

Im 52y now and Oskar 7y. If everything is going ok, I want to built fast street car. I started with mucsle cars and street race competitions. I have dream to built 1967 nova street race car. +800cid engine, Strong powerglide, 9" race rear axle, gear vendor...... Pump gas + gear vendor = can drive on the street,..... This is only dream to built that kind of mucsle car, if I have money and if Oskar is interested in built it with me. Car would we ready when he has driving license, so we do not have hurry. we are waiting for lottery money.....hahaa.

Aulis

3. AULIZ

AULIZ

Sundayjob; 1940 Rear axle rebuilding. Ring and pinion was original 4.44:1. New one is 3.25:1.
    I changed another differential bearing. Pinion bearing was good, so not need to change it.

Just washed tubes and center section. 75years shit inside. Tomorrow I put it together with shimgaskets.

Aulis

leeroy-2.jpg

4. AULIZ

AULIZ

rear axle is ready. I had promblems with pinion bearings. Motion gear ring and pinion set looks very good quality, but pinion neck was 6/100mm too tick. Need to be 38,10mm (1 1/2") but it was 38,16mm. ...

Now works after lathejobs and bearing slides tightly before locking with nuts.

aulis

coop ED, Stogy and AndersF like this.
  5. AULIZ

AULIZ

Small parts painted.
    2K acryl. Colour is "cast iron" + 40% matting base.

Aulis
    IMG_5032b.jpg IMG_5033b.jpg IMG_5034b.jpg IMG_5035b.jpg IMG_5037b.jpg

Vanness, Stogy, waxhead and 4 others like this.
  6. AULIZ

AULIZ

More painting,....

Today I paint frame and maybe gas tank.

IMG_5038b.jpg IMG_5041b.jpg IMG_5047b.jpg IMG_5050b.jpg IMG_5051b.jpg

7. alchemy

alchemy

How in the world does that paint work when it's freezing outside?

Moriarity likes this.
  8. AULIZ

AULIZ

9. AULIZ

AULIZ

I have never paint when its under +5dec celsius, are You?
    When painted , for example rear axle, we lifted axle inside garage.

In tent I keep 8-12hours after paintjob +5dec celsius or more.
    After that can be as cold as in Alaska or Siperia. Now a days 2K paints has only 10-20% thinner.
    If You have very warm You use slow hardener, if You have weather like now here, You need to use faster hardener.

Everybody knows that those water Basic colors must have very good painting room, all water must fade away before clear coat. I do not use those "water" paints. Hot rods not have clear coat.

10. AULIZ

AULIZ

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Fantastic job you’re doing. Regarding painting I have always been told not to paint below 65* farhenheit. You’re doing it above 5* Celsius/42* farhenheit? I’m going to have to look into that as it would sure speed things up around here!

12. AULIZ

AULIZ

Epoxy primer can be paint very low temperature, even lower than +5dec Celcius.
    I use only Industrial Epoxy primers. Those are "hard stuff", smells like hell, and very good "contraction" (I do not know right english word , what I mean).

When paint 2K , need to be more like 10dec Celcius. Before painting temperature was higher, but now a days those new paints (like new Glasurit, what I use) are spray lower temperature. New "line" Glasurit is made 3:1:0.5 ...

Today tent was nearly too hot and I opened front of tent. Every time I use before painting liquid gas heater + 2 x 1500W light + Sun. Rear Axle I painted just outside of my garage. Very warm Place (sun) but maybe not enough warm.... but when using 40% matting base in 2K painting, does not matter. Anyway paint is not "shine".

Aulis

leeroy-37.jpg leeroy-38.jpg leeroy-39.jpg

13. AULIZ

AULIZ

Color is: RAL 7006 Beige-Gray

Real hot rod colour......
    All of my hot rods are paint using RAL colorchart. Simple like builder himself.

Aulis

14. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

Fantastic work. When I see things like this I miss my 32 that I had for 50 years

continentaljohn likes this.
  15. Doc Wright

Doc Wright

Absolutely incredible build, great inspiration! Thank you for sharing!!! :)

16. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

“TENACITY” that is the word that defines you and this build. I dub this the “Tena-City” Deuce.

People are going to wonder where “Tena-City”, just say “Your standing near it”. Heck, people wonder where Temple City is.........I tell them South East of Pasadena;).

continentaljohn likes this.
  17. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I with Kevin ,what a great use of a tent and may have to dig out the old soccer team tent on my next build..

18. AULIZ

AULIZ

I do not understand Cyclone Kevin text (my english is not good) but I hope its something important.

Tena-city -deuce?

What a shit are You talking about

AULIS

nb. This is my thread, where I have share pictures of my 1932 roadster Project.
    Im working with hot rods every day 4-8hours and enjoy what Im doing.
    If here some person are start to talk shit in my thread, I can leave this thread and not post any picture. I built cars my way and I understand if somebody else is do thing different way.
    I can leave parts, car to car painting Company if I want, Im never use last money for living, travelling, hot rods,...but if I want to built car old style, using old stuff, own job, as muc as possible old parts and own ideas.....that is my way to built.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  19. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You everybody, this thread is closed.

Car is ready during 2 months and after summer break I continue built 5w coupe.

AULIS

20. alchemy

alchemy

Tenacity is an English word that means you stick with it. If a person is tenacious they follow through with their project. I don't think he was disrespecting you. But you sure did fly off the handle, didn't you? You might want to ask the definition of what you don't understand before you get pissy about it.

21. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I think the real hot rodder's on the HAMB admire the way you manage to do such a good job with limited facilities. Your ingenuity is to be admired and your style of build is what the HAMB is all about. Please don't penalize us for a misunderstanding of the meaning of a word. No one was demeaning you in any way.

Cyclone Kevin, slv63, 18n57 and 3 others like this.
  22. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Auliz, maybe this will help.Cyclone Kevin is a fan of your work and was naming your car as a compliment to your work ethic and skills. I appreciate your efforts to communicate with us in English, sometimes things get confusing in translation and cultural differences but you can be sure that most of the time the HAMB members are trying to keep comments positive and when they question why you do something a certain way they are just curious and not condemning your methods. When they offer up another source for parts they are only trying to offer up a suggestion of another source or method you may not know about since you live in Finland. Please keep posting about this build.
    upload_2018-4-4_12-28-2.png

Cyclone Kevin, Stogy, 18n57 and 2 others like this.
  23. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Aulis, tenacity means sitkeys, päättäväisyys in Finnish. It’s a good word. Keep going!

Stogy, j hansen and loudbang like this.
  24. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

This cut out on the synchro teeth is to enable you to insert the input shaft into to case. The cluster gear is too big. You need to do this modification on Ford gears too when fitting to an early case without enough clearance at the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G935F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  25. AULIZ

AULIZ

26. fatboys69

fatboys69
    from Tennessee

WOW !! That's turning out beautiful !!! Exceptional work and detail .

27. AULIZ

AULIZ

28. fatboys69

fatboys69
    from Tennessee

are those wheels from rocket racing ? i really like the look !!!
    great job !!!

29. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

About the only thing I don't like about your roadster is that its not in my garage.

30. AULIZ

AULIZ