Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects value of a 42 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Apr 24, 2018.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

A friend of mine is going to sell off a 42 Plymouth and I'm thinking about it.

It's body is in really nice shape, although there is no floor in the passenger compartment and the trim holes have been welded up. It's got stock frame but had ford ranger front upper control arms and spindles with rack and pinion installed.

It comes body complete, no interior, and a running 360 motor and trans.

What do you guys think it would be worth?

I've got a couple more pics if you need more.

Thanks guys

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. exterminator

exterminator

As a owner of a 41 ply conv, They are not worth as much as a ford and if you want to buy it to sell later to make money- don't. My opinion.

lurker mick and knifefighter like this.
  3. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

4. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

That rack and pinion set up is wrong for that car. Look at where the inner a arm pivot points are relative to the rack pivot points.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

knifefighter and Hnstray like this.

5. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I agree on the rack, that doesn't scare me.

Right now I think he is sitting at 3800.00

6. I am not a fan of the suspension but that could be changed.

'42 would be considered by some as desirable that was the year that domestic production stopped. Can't give you value on it, but I would think that it would be cool to say you owned a '42

Clay Belt likes this.
  7. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

sorry typo !! 2800.00

didn't read the post, just typed and entered.

8. belyea_david

belyea_david
    from Regina, SK

My Dad bought a 41 Chev in similar condition except with a floor for $2500 CAD or ~$1900 USD.

Seems high.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

10. The price is mediocre; no bargain, but not over the top either. The missing floors will be a PITA, and when you say 'no interior', does that mean the seats and all interior trim is missing? Some of that stuff may prove to be hard to find, so factor that in. There's a few similar cars in the HAMB classifieds more complete for not that much more money. And unless you've heard that motor run, I always consider them as cores.... but it's your friend.

slv63 likes this.
  11. Squablow

Squablow

I had a 46-48 Plymouth coupe a few years ago that I sold for around a grand in trade value, that one had some floors left and an untouched original suspension and a flat six that turned over but this one looks to have a cleaner body.

The floor thing sucks, the 360 I could take it or leave it, the front suspension probably doesn't add any value, but the outer body looks really clean, and I'm guessing the important chrome bits on it are in decent shape from what I can see, which is a big deal, anything '42 Plymouth specific will be really hard to find.

If the grille is in good shape and it's got a title, I think $2K would be fair. As was said, it's not an extreme bargain that you'd buy to make money on, but if you like the car and you want it as a project, I feel like that would be a fair price. I had that number in mind before you mentioned the asking price, so I think his price is a fair asking price, if he's a bit negotiable.

FAIR WARNING There's a few members of this board who love to jump in on every "what's it worth" thread and say how they wouldn't pay more than junk price for everything and how it's a better deal to buy a finished car, if they find this thread just ignore them, they're full of shit. Glad I could make my comment before they showed up.

12. Those '40s Mopars, if the suspension and steering box are not worn out and everything is well lubed and correctly aligned, handle pretty well. I'd rather have the stock suspension than to have the Ranger setup. If you like it and all of the hard to find stuff, particularly the pieces unique to '42 are there, it's not a bad deal.

classiccarjack likes this.
  13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

An intent lurker, checking in.

14. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

All the trim I've looked at so far has been in nice shape. He has the fenders and grille etc stored away. He is supposed to be digging more out. I'm going to check with him this weekend to see what else he finds.

I know the motor ran as he drove it to his house to pull the 360 out of the donor vehicle. I'm going to check to see what interior parts he may have.

The body is really straight and the pics don't do it justice. Honestly though I do love the body lines of the car and can see it done different ways it's just I'm not sure I need another project!

15. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Forgot to mention I have another buddy that has one just like this one that's all original down to the paint but it has a knock in the motor and some little spots of rust popping thru and a 42 dodge too that's all original including the paper sack Brown paint but neither one of those are for sale.

16. Hey...there's a 42 Plymouth 4 door for parts in the classifieds for a measly $500...has a bunch-a grille parts less the bottom bar and one park lite..it's a sign.

17. Budget36

Budget36

I like that body style. If I was looking, my main concern would be....the body...floors can be replaced/made/ easy enough. If I'm making a hotrod out of it, I don't care about the specific '42 parts for the interior...hell,how many '32 Ford hotrods have all '32 Ford interior?

Can you find another '42 Plymouth that has as good a body as that one, for the same price or less? I mean you are thinking of a hotrod, not a restoration, right? i/e...will a minivan seat work for you...etc...?

I'd rather pay 4K for a gutted roller missing it's interior with a solid body, than 2500 for an all original body rotted car. Then again, I'm not a restorer.

18. IF you buy it get in touch I’ve got some 42 parts you might need.

19. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

The 42 floor boards can be replaced with any 1946-48 plymouth model can be a coupe or a sedan it doesn't matter.

20. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

NCM_0626.JPG It all comes down to how bad you need it, Also for whatever reason you choose, Stuff ain't sell'n like it Did five yrs. Ago imo, Unless it's magnesium.. The booger"d steering is a huge hit, As is the cut out floor, If you're building a gasser as a overall project again 1500. Would be reasonable, Ya I know guys will tell ya the grill is worth this... The hood worth that..etc. That doesn't mean You Can sell it is back to my point, Those cars with the flat six are awesome, had a 48 special deluxe... Good luck

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018