Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gow job- T frames and A axles?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 46stude, Apr 23, 2018.

1. 46stude

46stude

Looking into building a '30s style gow job.

Originally I'd thought of a T speedster, but decided I liked the thirties look better. Been reading up and researching stuff, and have a question I can't seem to find an answer to:

Can Model A axles be used on a Model T frame, using the T springs? I know the rear seems to be a no-brainer, since the T spring is a popular trick to lower the rear in an A chassis, but figure I'd ask if anybody knows definitively.

I can not find any info on front spring/axle swapping. Searches always turn up rear spring info. From info I've found on the interweb, eye to eye seems pretty close between the two springs. But again, I was hoping someone out there had first hand knowledge.

2. Deuces

Deuces

Ok, so what's a gow job????
    Sounds like something that goes on in a bedroom.....:confused:o_O

3. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out Nostalgic Sid's axle site on the web.

4. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

you can use a T front spring on a 28 / 36 axle

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I used an A axle with the A spring in a T frame. Was OK for what I was doing.

6. 46stude

46stude

Cool, thanks a ton for the replies! I really appreciate it.

It's funny- searches for T chassis info turn up all sorts of T Bucket results, but very little on building much beyond a resto or speedster w Henry's parts.

7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

deuces...
    IMO... GOW is pronounced like an archer's BOW... not a ship's bow...
    and has been used for years, at one time it may have been derogatory...

patmanta likes this.
  8. Like Okie Pete said:
    Check out Nostalgic Sid's axle site on the web. Sid has it all...............

9. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

SJ;
    Not too sure of that. In the teens n twenties, there was a saying, "Fords are for gow, Chevies are for plow".
    Marcus...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    lurker mick and missysdad1 like this.
  10. missysdad1

missysdad1

The only time I've heard the word "gow" actually spoken in this context was in the 1947 film "Devil On Wheels". Rhymes with "cow". It is my understanding that the source of this colloquial term was the illegal use of drugs to improve the performance of race horses in the 1920s: to gow a horse. Seems to fit.

lurker mick likes this.
  11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

a T spring is 2" wide vs the A at 2 1/4". so you can use the T spring on an A rear if you space out the difference in width with washers at the spring perch/shackle area. you'd almost certainly have to shorten the torque tube for whatever engine and trans you put in front of it. So what I wonder is, if you are interested in 30s style sheet metal, why start with a T frame? You can set up a T spring in an A frame by spacing at the perches as mentioned above, and replacing the T top leaf with an A leaf to get it to sit right in the cross member. Then you have a chassis, engine, trans, and rear axle all working together nicely, and you've got a frame meant for early 30s sheet metal.

ClarkH likes this.
  12. 46stude

46stude

Oh, no- I'm not gonna use '30s sheetmetal. Plan is an early '20s T roadster w a turtle deck.

I get what you're saying about the A chassis, as that's most likely how I'll end up going. I had a line on some crusty T parts not far from me, including a couple frames, one of which is still sitting on it's axles and springs. I was just looking into the option of running the T frame. Like I said, I'd tried to find the info but kept coming up empty so figured the HAMB would have the answers if I asked.

13. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

general gow.... what does gow mean to you ?

14. 46stude

46stude

Gow like plow , IMO.

If it were pronounced like "Go", what's the point of adding an extra letter instead of just writing it "go- job"?

15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

GOW Ahhhhhhhh... one of lifes great mysteries :D

16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

So...if I had a female pig that ate grain...how would I sow the seeds to feed the sow? With a plow?

Outback likes this.
  17. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

IMO... years ago many people couldn't read... the bow / bow , lead /lead, thing musta caused problems.

Jedro Jenkins likes this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

Guess I started a shit storm on this thread..... :(:rolleyes:

Jedro Jenkins likes this.
  19. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

I always learned gow as show.
    I had heard it as derogatory in regards to flashy cars.
    "It's a gow-job, not a stinkin show-job."
    Like that.
    But I've been known to be wrong.

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I was thinking a gow job was the rat rod of it's day, not the art cars covered with rebar and saw blades, but the anti-billet, anti-chrome, anti- flashy paint, stripped to the bare essentials type of cars.

21. 46stude

46stude

22. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Don Montgomery references "gow-job" in his books, but does not offer any phonetic distinction. I just checked.

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. 46stude

46stude

On an on-topic note, thanks for the suggestion about Sid's site. Good info there!

24. rudestude

rudestude

I am putting one together , slowly, it's a t frame with the front cross member flipped over and z'ed in the rear using parts from another t frame for the step pieces and I'm using the original t springs front and rear with model A axles front and rear the front axle is in front of the spring , suicide style, the steering will be moved behind the axle and will not stay the way it is now it's going to be Volvo powered and will be a single seater...... IMG_20161113_102719.jpg IMG_20161113_095147.jpg IMG_20161113_095121.jpg IMG_20161113_102440.jpg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. 46stude

46stude

Cool, thanks for the pics. Looks like it'll be a fun ride when you're done.

Your table- are the 4x4 posts concreted in the ground? I was planning to build something similar to set up my chassis when I get to that point.

26. rudestude

rudestude

Thanks....the table legs are 6"x6" and they are not cemented in ...the ground has only about 3"-4" of dirt then damn near solid rock under that I just dug down some put in some crushed gravel packed down and went from there...it's been set up now for 3+ years and have not had to re level it yet.....but I did notice a 2" stagger from side to side on the car.....no I kid.... It's all square so far......

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Jedro Jenkins

Jedro Jenkins

Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rudestude likes this.
  28. rudestude

rudestude

Well I thought this thread was gone ....I will just quickly update my T project , not the OP's, but the high jacker.... sorry...actually nothing has really been done to it for quite awhile, due to some health set backs .
    Things are better now...so I have been getting back into my hot rods again, I did manage to get the original T-tub body that went with the T chassis that I started with from my brother, he also give me a turtle deck..so I am most likely turning the tub into a bucket w/turtle deck and narrow the body to retain the single seater idea...well single and a half seater.....ya gained a few.
    For now though I have been primarily working on my 50 Studebaker Champion project.
    The T will be gathering some more "Patina" for now.
    When or if I get going on it again, I will start my own thread.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020