Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Model A Coupe Y-Block Build (Father&Son)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by NathanxStewart, Jan 4, 2016.

1. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to see you back on here Nathan. The new engine sounds killer. Bummer about the bolt and push rod, but, ya learn as you go.
    Not something you will ever do again and now hopefully someone else will learn from it. Thanks for posting.
    Love the seat too! Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. That is a tough decision! I do like the 2 door A sedans

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  3. Haha thank you! And sorry but I don't think I can make that happen hahaha

loudbang likes this.
  4. That can be arranged!

loudbang likes this.
  5. Thank you very much for the kind words! I'm really hoping I can make it work. I'm thinking I will since I'm not one to ever give up!!

loudbang likes this.
  6. Thank you! And yes, that's how you learn! Making mistakes hahah. Thank you, I'm really happy with the seat too!

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  7. What part of the country you in I'm going from Texas to NJ to MN and back to Texas in May.if you're along that routes send me a price.

loudbang and NathanxStewart like this.
  8. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

loudbang and NathanxStewart like this.
  9. Columbus, Ohio! It might be a ways out the way haha

loudbang likes this.
  10. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

Read it all Nate. Really great work, and that's not saying half enough. It's so good to know you, Dad and Grandpap are all into this. I had a Grandson in on me on this Essex build so far, but still a long way to go. Now sheet metal which I stink at and I had a minor stroke a year and a half ago. It has set me back a lot. Have fun and be safe. Regards. Perley

11. Thank you very much! Sheet metal work is not my favorite part haha. Sorry to hear about the minor stroke. Best of luck, keep on keepin on!

loudbang likes this.
  12. novaskilling

novaskilling

Amazing build! Been following you on instagram for a while! I was wondering what is your e-brake handle out of? Was also curious what year that trans is out of? Cheers man Keep up the incredible work!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    metal man and loudbang like this.
  13. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

I swear I saw a picture of your car come across my Facebook feed on it's roof in a ditch. I hope I'm mistaken, but if not I hope you're alright.

metal man likes this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Nope that was his car wrong side up.

Been a minute though he’s already buffed that shit out and is back on the road!

metal man, loudbang and 55Deso like this.
  15. metal man

metal man

Nathan is fine. The only injury he had was getting poison ivy crawling out of the car. That happened on May 20th. It was a real bad day, but all things considered, he was very lucky. A woman in a Toyota ran a stop sign and hit his left front tire ( she was cited). He ALMOST got stopped, but made light contact with her, which knocked the coupe into the ditch, where it turned 180 degrees and rolled over very softly. It had rained for an entire day the previous day, so the ground was very soft, and the ditch had a foot of water in it . Somehow, that ditch cradled the car without doing any damage to the body. The only body damage was two dents in one quarter panel, that came from a road sign that just happened to be in the way. The eight point roll cage and racing harnesses that I insisted on helped. The cage is tied into the body structure, which helped keep the body from shifting around or going out of square.

It didn't even damage the wood in the top or even the radiator. The majority of the damage was a bent front axle, wishbone, and headlight bar, all done by the car that hit him , and we straightened it all in one day. He had to replace the grill insert and the mirrors, and everything else was straightened. All told , it took exactly two weeks of working on it after work to fix it ( after waiting two weeks for insurance to pay up). The accident happened on May 20th, and he was driving it again on June 20th .

As I type this, he is driving it up to Put In Bay with his girlfriend, to celebrate her birthday.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

quickrack-alan, Jet96, brEad and 5 others like this.
  16. metal man

metal man

His brake handle is original model A, and the gearbox is from a 1986 Mustang GT.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Wow, I’m glad Nathan was okay and that his beautiful coupe was repaired relatively easily.

Damned women in Toyotas , she was probably messing with her cell phone.

loudbang likes this.
  18. metal man

metal man

Thanks . I said the same thing about the phone.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Wow, any accident you walk away from... But this is a testament to the quality you guys put into the car, too, not just luck. Glad Nathan is ok and the car only received minor damage.

loudbang and metal man like this.
  20. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

I was right, I followed the build from near day one!

metal man likes this.
  21. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Glad Nathan is good. And really thankful you guys did such a great job of building the cage and frame of this car. I haven't seen much on this one and was surprised to see what had occurred over the past year or so. All sounds good though, Y's get a bad rap and it's is undeserved. They are a unique engine and have to be studied and taken care of like any other. A lot of others take the easy way out and get a belly button engine and blame problems on what they are willing to learn.
    Glad you stayed with this one!

metal man likes this.
  22. quickrack-alan

quickrack-alan
    from Ireland

I just read the entire thread after it got bumped up.
    An amazing build for any young man.
    Glad the accident was "small".

metal man likes this.
  23. metal man

metal man

It was good meeting you at the track.

24. metal man

metal man

Thank you. He's been driving it for over three years now. It has over 20k miles on it and has run like a top for every mile. We studied about Y blocks for a long time before building his, and we're very happy with it. We've made multiple 3,000+ mile trips in the car too, running from 75-90 mph all the time. No hiccups. They do have a few things that need attention when building it, but if you do those things, it's a great engine.

55Deso, chryslerfan55 and Blues4U like this.
  25. metal man

metal man

I appreciate that. He worked very hard building his car and did a great job. I'm a proud dad. I need to have him update this thread now that the car is painted, upholstered (all by Nathan)and has a bunch of miles on it.

quickrack-alan and Blues4U like this.
  26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yes, please update! One of my most favorite threads here on the HAMB

chryslerfan55 and metal man like this.
  27. metal man

metal man

September 2019 on our way from Ohio to Colorado for the Hot rod hill climb.

Attached Files: