Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever see/have a Holley 3 barrel carb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Jun 19, 2007.

1. jays41willys

jays41willys
    from nj

I have one its the 950.with the rebuilt kit for it.i just need someone to rebuilted for me.

Deuces likes this.
  2. What all was included in the mechanical secondary kit ? I seen one for sale recently that is mechanical secondaries and listed as 1040 cfm.

Deuces likes this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

there were two different ones, one had a one-to-one gear drive arrangement for the secondaries, the other used a cam linkage like on a center-squirter. both kits had a front shooter with a tube that ran back to the secondaries and split. The main companies that come to mind that made them are Segal and Mr. Gasket, but I'm sure there were others.

Deuces likes this.
  4. Is it still together and all the pieces are there? There are countless people here that wouldn't mind doing that for you.

Deuces and Clay Belt like this.
  5. I run one on my 354 hemi in my Willys coupe. Bought it when I was a student @ Fresno State, circa 1971. I was afraid of the size so I made some primary inserts, smaller primary jets and the strongest diaphragm spring they make. I put a micro-switch on the secondary arm with a light on the dash. Secondaries only crack open at top-top end. runs 99.999% of the time as a two-bbl but most carbs do. With the right jetting and diaphragm spring this carb should be as streetable as any Qudrajet or Carter.
    Fig 2.jpg

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Just a FYI; Demon has come out now with a similar "3 barrel" carburetor. Street Demon. It's sort of a Thermoquad-Carter AFB-Holley 3 barrel cross. The Holley 3 barrel I had went long ago; I still have the Edelbrock C3B intake.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Deuces likes this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have a couple of them.... never ran one though. I also have a pile of C3B intakes. I buy em whenever they are cheap at the swap meets. I think I have 6.....

Deuces likes this.
  8. I had a 780 Holley on my 64 'vette with a C-4b, hot rod 327/4 speed/4.10 posi. Stripped a float bowl on the 780 and a buddy had a 950, 3 barrel for $25. Man! That 950 really woke up that 327! I loved mine

Deuces likes this.
  9. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I never could make one work as well as a conventional 4 barrel. It just wasn't as fast...

Elcohaulic likes this.
  10. shop teacher

shop teacher

I have one in my Holley collection.

Deuces likes this.
  11. southcross2631

southcross2631

Ran one on my IHRA formula stock . Worked well. Switched to a Dominator worked better.

Deuces likes this.
  12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy, a newbie bringing back a 10 year old thread sure gets some activity, don't it!

NC (mtn) dweller and Deuces like this.
  13. Deuces

Deuces

Just got done checking out some pics on Google.... s-l400 (14).jpg s-l400 (12).jpg s-l400 (17).jpg s-l1000 (6).jpg
    This one is on eBay....

14. Deuces

Deuces

Check out this metering plate...
    It's modified for air bleed jets to do some "fine tuning" on a vacuum secondary Holley carb..
    Pretty kool idea, huh???:) ccrp-1210-seven-budget-carburetors-tested-12.jpg

seb fontana and saltflats like this.
  15. rudestude

rudestude

Deuces likes this.
  16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have one of the 950 carburetors with the one to one linkage and the nozzle extensions.

Deuces likes this.
  17. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

Didn't the 3 barrel come from the factory on late 60's Olds Cutlass W30's?

18. Fordors

Fordors

The 442 package only used Rochesters. Initially is was the 4 Jet, followed by Quadrajets and the very limited 1966 tri-power option.

Deuces likes this.
  19. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Back in the mid 60's I ran one of these on my 56 Chevy with a 327 Corvette motor and it was a good combination. Every now and then you will see one at a swap meet, but they are getting expensive.

Deuces likes this.
  20. ahshoe

ahshoe

We ran a 950 cfm. Holley 3 barrel on our stock car in the 70's. Was not real impressed with it's results but we tried it.

Deuces likes this.
  21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

They worked good on a dry slick track.

Deuces likes this.
  22. gene-koning

gene-koning

Back in the late 70s our local dirt track had a hobby class. the 1st year we ran, one of the rules stated we could not run a 4bbl carb. Everyone assumed that meant we had to run 2 bbl carbs. A couple weeks into the season a new guy showed up to run in our class with an old big block Mopar ex state police car. This guy had a Holley 3 bbl, and of course we all complained. There were several other things that skirted the rules, including the roll cage, which was a set of pipes tack welded between the roof and the floor, and double springs at each wheel. The track officials were not going to let the guy run, but he went crying to the track owner and he let the guy run. The track was a 1/2 mile clay. You could hear that 3bbl open coming off every corner over and above the exhaust noise. Because of the double springs, the car handled rather poorly on the curves, but man did it pull down the straights. About 1/2 way through the feature, he ran into someone and did a slow motion barrow roll down the entire length of the front straight. Every time it was about to stop rolling, it landed on the suspension and bounced over another time. You cold watch his "roll cage" lean to one side, stand up straight when the car was on the roof, then lean to the other side, the stand back up as it rolled towards the suspension again, on every roll! It finally rolled off the track and got caught up in the mud in the infield. Fortunately, the guy was OK, and the car was destroyed. The next week, the rules were modified, 2bbl carb, and a complete roll cage with specs.

What I learned that night, on my 1st introduction to a 3bbl carb was that when you opened the secondary at 3,000 rpm, there is no bog, and they make a lot of power. It also taught me there was more then one way to read a rule book. Gene

23. Deuces

Deuces

No, but a few were dealer installed... Like Motion Performance/Baldwin Chevrolet.. The L-88 f body cars got those and maybe some Chevelles.....

24. ONE EYE

ONE EYE

If you go on the holley website., they have (I think it' a qtf) metering plate that is drilled so it can accept main jets, so you don' have to swap everything (like buying the metering block conversion) pretty neat also, and doesn' look hard to do either, for us poor people lol

Deuces likes this.
  25. Deuces

Deuces

I have a few metering plates in my garage that I need to dig up.. I'll try and modify a couple at the shop when I get a chance...;)

saltflats likes this.
  26. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

27. 1967 XR7 GT

1967 XR7 GT

Hi Deuces
    Do you have the article that metering plate pic came from ? It says Car Craft. The reason I ask, is that plate for a 3 Barrel Holley or a regular Holley ? The metering plates are different.

Thanks Richard

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like a 1050

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  29. Deuces

Deuces

302-465.jpg CH26727-lrg.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    loudbang and chevy57dude like this.
  30. Deuces

Deuces

No I don't... Maybe a Google search might help.... ;)

loudbang likes this.