Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chassis design. Can somebody check me?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by george.barnes.754, Apr 21, 2018.

1. alchemy

alchemy

So how is the air gonna get into the radiator with a ten gallon tank out front? I think you are way overestimating the gallons in your tank.

The commonly-seen tanks used in front of grilles on race cars are about 2 gallons. Anything larger will look HUGE and way ugly. I've got some five gallon cans of chemicals here in the garage, and even those are way too big to use on the front of a hot rod.

Go here to find your volume: http://aqua.ucdavis.edu/Calculations/Volume_of_a_Cylindrical_Tank.htm

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  2. Good to know, at least the welds should look good. Is this a look you want with it out front or just the only place you see space for?
    The Wizzard

Just Gary likes this.
  3. Little of both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

4. alchemy; This is a time when Size does matter and bigger isn't necessarily better. Air flow is very important too.
    The Wizzard

Just Gary likes this.
  5. Okay, food for thought time. I'll accept that you can build a tank to mount out front. Would not be where I would mount one but it's not my car. You have Kids and need the back seat. But do you know what a Touring back seat looks like? They are huge and have lost space both below and behind. Just saying maybe take a look at the other end. I build most of the tanks in everything I build and using lost space is a good thing. In your Face in a Kool Car isn't.
    The Wizzard

Just Gary likes this.
  6. Honestly I could pribably live with but accordi g to the engineers toolbox a 12" tank a foor ling will hold 6.85 gallons. Screenshot_20180423-104745.jpg

7. alchemy

alchemy

Yep. But most of the tanks you see on traditional hot rods are 8" diameter. You are proposing another 50% bigger diameter. I just think you might want to add this to your mock up list before you commit to it. As guys have said, it's hard to find room for a gas tank in a highboy touring, and putting a full ten gallons in front of the radiator doesn't seem like the right idea to me.

To each their own.

Just Gary likes this.
  8. My 51 Vicky has a 10.6 gal factory Gas tank in it. I average 21 M.P.G. and I can never go to town, run an errand and not fill up before coming home. What a pain in the Ass. I can't imagine living with only 6.85 gallons even with better millage.
    The Wizzard

9. I'm actually only going 10", I divded 10" by 12 to give me factor I multiplied my results from the engineers toolbox equation by. I'll ultimately end up having to play with placement and see where it'll work.

10. Ok so here's some -
    You want to drop it down, the tire will interfere with the doors.

You could easily move the rear seating surface forward, build a package tray thingy back there and have room for your fuel tank and move the crossmember back.
    Then everything is kinda normal again.

You could also run the aprons and give yourself a visual drop of about 8" real easy.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Just Gary and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

Ain't nothing wrong with the stance of that black primer touring. I like the way the frame rail follows the outside of the body. Makes the car look even lower. And the door will swing over the tire just fine.

That's what I'm going to do with my 27 touring some day. I have a 30 Essex frame that I will shape to fit at the edge of the body.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  12. I'm thinking 10 gallons is going to be closer, the real problem isn't really where to mount the tank, but where to put the filler neck as I'm going to be fenderless. And I will never get past inspection here with a filler neck mounted anywhere inside the car, or have place to run the filler hose if put it through the side of the body somewhere. Dash space is also going to be at a premium, so eve with a tach mounted on my column, putting it in fro t gives me the option of a sight glass I'll be able to see while driving, just like the moto meter I plan to run.

13. Moving the rear seat back forward 6 to 10 inches won't cramp anyone sitting back there.
    The Wizzard

14. I haven't done any interior mock up yet, but I will vertainly look into it.

15. If it's a closed of compartment it isn't technically inside the car.

16. The tank i the passenger compartment win't be an issue so long as I have a firewall, but the filler will be

17. Ever Sit in the back of an extendedcab pick up??
    There's plenty enough room for 2 full grown men - It's sorta little cramped but very doable for hundreds of miles. Kids can live back there.
    My ex cab truck is 24" back there

Pist-n-Broke and Just Gary like this.
  18. Easy way around that is don't put the filler inside. This is just one option. A little paint and it's gone.
    20160520_102103.jpg 20160701_162952.jpg
    I'll suggest maybe start thinking outside the written rules.
    The Wizzard

19. I think that might be the same cap I was looking at.and if I go behind the seat it won't be a big deal. I had honestly not even thought about the tank yet.

20. You can't build a car without thinking of everything.
    Better to think thru an issue before it built instead of dealing with some sorta fuck up mid way thru the build.

21. Ya, that kind of showed when you were talking about hanging 10 Gallons of Gas out in front of everything including You and your Kids.
    We did get just a bit off track but really not. The build means thinking of it all as a package like 31 Vicky stated.
    Another pet peve of mine is guys not thinking of where to mount the Batt till after the Exhaust is in.
    The Wizzard

Just Gary likes this.
  22. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

You tell him how it is

23. That's going under the front seat, right next to the stereo sleakers (wife can't live without some kind of radio, although I'm intent to omit it an auxillary hookup and a 12v outket are musts.)

24. I see. And what kind of Batt will that be that lives right under her's or your A--? You should know there are more than one type of Batt and when mounting in odd places one type is hands down a better choice.
    The Wizzard

Just Gary likes this.
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I can't understand the reason for swapping the axle housings to mount the spring in the front, making for the use of a high arch model A spring. This is just food for thought, how I laid out the chassis, fuel tanks, and suspension on this tub. IMG_0668.JPG IMG_0670.JPG IMG_0742.JPG 25 Ford.jpg

26. Optima. Only battery I use anymore.

27. Tire height and clearance with my rear doors.

28. I quit using them years ago specially when mounting them inside anywhere.

Marty, a work of art as usual. Let's hope George will strive to get close to your level. I always admire your work for sure.
    The Wizzard

29. Also the reason for all of this calculating and figuring and whatnot is becuase when I build this chassis it's going to be done on 2 sawhorses in my front yard (where the 220v plug for the welder is) and it is nowhere near level or flat in any direction. And also because I won't be able to slide the wheels and axkes and such under the car and physically look at it. So I have to blueprint to go off of and build around. I fully exoect a couple of "aw shit" moments but I'm tryig to minimize them.

30. Planning ahead is good, makes for less "adjusting" as the build progresses. We're all hoping for your end result to make you pleased. If the back doors concern you think about Kids and how they are all over everything. Then look at the Touring Marty built. Look closer and you'll notice it sits taller than what you intend to build and it don't have a functioning door on it at all. Just saying.
    The Wizzard

Just Gary likes this.