Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Another one found. ‘32 3w.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cretin, Apr 20, 2018.

1. 392

Kick ass and bitchin

cretin likes this.
  2. pumpman

pumpman

Great to see this. Out here it would not have made it.

cretin likes this.
  3. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

Thank you Thank you for posting this story and photos....great job, better than reading a hundred magazines, this real deal is awesome.

brad2v and cretin like this.
  4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The car is an awesome survivor. I'm so glad to hear it will be preserved as an early example of Rodding!
    An early Pasadena area person that comes to mind is Hot Rod historian/author Don Montgomery (Rockerhead on the HAMB).
    PWood and 296ardun have chimed in. Perhaps other, early Blair's folks (Phil Lukens, Jake Jacobs, etc.) may recall the car.
    Another area person to tap on the shoulder may be Pat Ganahl. As a decades long author immersed in the Socal scene, he may have some knowledge of the car.
    If this comes up dry, all these folks know plenty of people and may have an idea of who to ask about the car (individuals may not frequent the HAMB).
    Surely with it's show car stuff (road flair holders in the trunk) was displayed at car shows. Perhaps some photos of it being shown at an early LA area show will surface.

brad2v and cretin like this.
  5. 97

And another John Dewar who is a Lieutenant in the Pasadena Police, in fact going by another website he may be the son of the previous owner of the coupe.
    You could maybe go to the GNRS etc websites and look back at the 50s show results or maybe even ask the show promoters if they have entry lists and/or pics from 50s shows.

The37Kid and cretin like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wonder if The Petersen has photo files from Hot Rod Magazine and others? Bob

cretin likes this.
  7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Ohhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyyy.That`ll put a high volt tingle in yer jeans.Outstanding Sir.Thanks for posting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

The37Kid and cretin like this.
  8. Im glad Troy Ladd got it. It has a chance now of not being molested. Very cool.

Never2low, brad2v, HunterYJ and 2 others like this.
  9. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Amazing find. Im Glad Troy has it

cretin likes this.
  10. IronTrap

IronTrap

Some guys have all the luck! Such a great find. Can't wait to see what you guys do to it.

kidcampbell71 and cretin like this.
  11. Man that sure looks like East coast. I know it is not but that was my first thought.

12. Squablow

Squablow

Looks to have been built with a great deal of craftsmanship, especially compared to the standards of it's day. Glad it's in good hands and I look forward to seeing it preserved and functional again, I also hope it's history will come to light.

brad2v, cretin and Stogy like this.
  13. cretin

cretin

Troy picked up the hood and grill yesterday. Louvered hood top and a filled and peaked grill shell. Pretty cool.
    There are also some hood sides that are unpainted for some reason.

IMG_7799.JPG

IMG_7800.JPG

IMG_7804.JPG

IMG_7801.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim, Rolleiflex, AHotRod and 13 others like this.
  14. Probably no need to paint them and hide that sweet Olds/3 carb combo :D

bchctybob, F&J, Denns1989 and 2 others like this.
  15. Oh man....that 3 window is so cherry! And the 55 shows [in the engine shot] that it's the same color my 55 was. In fact it's identical. 55ford.jpg

Tim, kidcampbell71 and cretin like this.
  16. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

I worked at Schifano's from about 1960 to 1962. This was done a bit before that. They did really nice upholstery.
    Wayno

17. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

all i can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cretin likes this.
  18. hallrods

hallrods

Beautiful car,what year did they start using (making)dropped headlight bars?

cretin likes this.
  19. triumph 1

triumph 1

What an incredible find! Hope so see it running soon..........

cretin likes this.
  20. cretin

cretin

Oh wow, really? Do you know anyone who’s still around that may know something about it? Is Greg still alive?

J_J2 likes this.
  21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

22. cretin

cretin

We still haven't found any info on the car yet. But we have done some investigating on the car over the past few weeks. It seems to be pretty clear that this car never ran with the Olds power and was originally built with a different engine. The first tip was cutouts on the front fenders for exhaust that didn't line up with the exhaust on this engine. The second came when we removed a valve cover, the rockers and everything were extremely clean.

Then the carbs came apart for cleaning/rebuild. They were also extremely clean inside. The pump seals looked brand new, but the gasket between the carb base and body was the wrong one, and would have been a clear vacuum leak. The distributor came out, and everything that was inside the block is super clean, and the gear looks brand new. Peeking in the distributor hole, the cam looks brand new as well. We have a little snake camera we put through a spark plug hole, and see carbon on the pistons, but everything else looks brand new. We have narrowed down the engine to being 59-60. Seeing as how the car was parked in '61, the engine couldn't have much time on it no matter what it ran in. The next and almost last evidence that the engine hadn't been ran in this car is that the oil line to the pressure gauge was hooked up with incorrect fittings that would have leaked and were also cracked.

The last huge nail in the coffin was that the starter wouldn't fit because of the steering box. We are thinking that possibly it was a real low mile or possibly new engine, that was put in the car, new intake, possibly new cam, and it was just put together for a show car and put away before making it a functioning vehicle. We aren't sure why there would be carbon on the pistons when everything else looks unused. Possibly an engine from a new car wreck? but with a cam swap?

But we got a modern, indexable starter that fit with the steering box and got it to fire today. Pretty cool.

23. How far forward is the grill moved?

24. cretin

cretin

I’m not sure exactly. I’ll check on that tomorrow.

25. Orbinal

Orbinal

Damn, this is just an incredible find!
    Aesthetic pleasure is just to look at it.
    The very oldest of the cars (and their 3) is a 1997 Volkswagen. I love this old car, even insured her (I insured here, if interested), but I'm afraid for cars.

26. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Super cool story and car. I love seeing stuff like this!

27. cretin

cretin

So I looked it over better this morning, and it actually hasn’t been moved. I kind of just assumed it was moved to fit the engine without cutting the firewall. The fan is close to the radiator and there is even a notch in the bottom of the radiator for it.

The distributor cap and gas pedal have been notched a bit, but still rub. It’s just squeezed in there. Hood is 32” long.

28. Geeez that car is everything I love about hotrods all wrapped into one car. Absolutely beautiful

bchctybob, brad2v, Hitchhiker and 3 others like this.
  29. cretin

cretin

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sounds like its real happy to be alive again...a big bonus that's for sure.

cretin and HunterYJ like this.