Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ford 9" info/I.d. needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Apr 22, 2018.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I picked up a 9" for my 31 and trying to find some more info. It's complete minus backing plates. So I'm on a quest to find some.

What I do know, the housing is 60" long, it has old style big ford ends, it has big tubes with flat tops, it uses the older style big sealed axle bearings, the 9" case is a C7AW-G23 which I've read possibly uses the big 3.06 end bearings. 28 spline axles. Hooded pinion support.

What I think, I believe it to be a galaxie rear end but not sure of years.

Like to find out years and model for sure to find backing plates and to add info to my build book for later parts replacement when they become necessary, I hate trying to figure out what I have when buying parts.

Thanks guys for any help!!

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

didn't have the tag on it? should have been held on by a center section retaining nut.

the casting date of the center section is probably late 1968 (or 1978), if I'm reading it right? 8L13 but by the late 70s they were using tapered bearings, so probably 68.

pics/dimensions of brakes will help, also.

3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Hey squirrel, yeah no tag, no backing plates.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1965-1974 Galaxie, I think. Later on, Torino, LTD II, Thunderbird had coils, but 4-control arms.

Just be aware, once you put the brakes on this, it will be ~64-3/4" to 65" wide. That is pretty wide for a '31.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

most dummies remove theses tags for one reason or another

best to keep looking for a rearend that will give a better fit

6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thanks guys! I figure i will just narrow it to fit.

I'll get the frame and rear suspension put under it, install body and cut it down where I like it.

7. squirrel

squirrel

If you are getting new axles and brakes, then it really doesn't matter what the stuff you have now, came from, does it? just get parts that all work together.

8. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

9. If you get your housing narrowed, center the pinion if possible.
    [​IMG]

10. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I dont know where you are in KS but I have a complete setup for drum brakes for your rear end. Virtually brand new drums and shoes with backing plates etc. Yours if you can figure out how to get them. I am in the Tulsa area. I bought them from a friend who was switching to discs without realizing that they were for the large bearing rear ends.