Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. loudbang likes this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

Hell of a shot and nice and clear. Dean is a Vette nut has one not hamb friendly. I don't know where he finds the photos but I had never seen that one also.

loner2 likes this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

Something definitely wrong with this picture.... :confused:
    I wonder if this Vette made it down track without the front end collapsing..... :rolleyes:o_O

loudbang likes this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

Some cool shots LB-always like looking at 62 drag cars and old up stance drag cars.

Dueces that is Half Breed and although it is a bit weird it did make a pass or two. Here it is originally then as it progresses to where it was photographed for sale recently.

early on
    e004_12.JPG

attachment-158.jpeg.jpg

for sale on ebay recently 9f9f_3.JPG

6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Great pictures from the good old day's
    Jimbo

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  7. elgringo71

elgringo71

8. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

In the pits at Windsor Dragway. Late 60s. 032.jpg

9. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I took this one at Oswego Drag Raceway, Oswego Illinois in '69 or '70. I thought this was a local
    car, maybe from the Joliet area, now I wonder. I probably posted this before but why not show
    these two pics together?

Oswego - Fever Corvette.jpg

032.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  10. jimdillon

jimdillon

Jason some good pics but the one that seems to hit home is the green 61. This is a cool picture of a couple of Corvette regulars back in the day having fun with an old car, that just so happens to be running D/G. This car now belongs to our own vetrod62 (Jim) and the picture I believe is from the early 70s and I am guessing Jim and Butch are in the picture ( I met Jim a few years ago and so am not an expert how he looked back in the 70s). Butch who owned the car ended up marrying Jim's sister and sadly Butch died from complications from a brain tumor a few years ago. Jim now owns the car and I believe will run the car in Butch's memory.

It is still a strong running small block. Although Jim has not posted in awhile, I believe he is going to dust off the Vettes this year and get them back on the track, including this great warrior. Here is a picture of Butch going at it with Jim's black 62 in the near lane a few years ago. Pretty good that two street cars can pull the wheels IMO. 2wp78ns.jpg

11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Jim is that picture of the green 61 on a flatbed taken at Englishtown? It is really good when a story goes along with a picture. A lot of inquiring minds want to know.

Pat

Bowtie Coupe, elgringo71 and loudbang like this.
  12. jimdillon

jimdillon

Pat yes I believe it is Englishtown but I know it is Butch's car and somewhere I have a different picture of the car on the stake track/bed. It is a cool story. Here is another picture more recently with Butch driving and then a picture Jim posted of Butch leaving a club meeting where he wanted to leave a few tire tracks on his exit.
    214d1rp.jpg 2gt9gl3.jpg

13. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

001.jpg
    Great photo. Here's a shot of the fever vette match racing another about to blast down the quarter mile from the same day at Windsor Dragway late 60's.

14. jimdillon

jimdillon

Pat here is another pic of Butch in 1970 running D/G-maybe the same day as the pic on the back of the truck above. You would know the track better than I. I never went to Englishtown although felt a small connection as I bought my cousin's 64 Plymouth after he blew the engine at Englishtown in 68.

ab1cli.jpg

15. 1934coupe

1934coupe

That certainly looks like Englishtown during that period. It changed a bunch over the years.

Pat

16. vetrod62

vetrod62

Hi Jim, Yes same day as the above pictures well as the first picture below, fall of 1970. I would have normally been there that day, but I was stuck home mending a shattered hip (motorcycle mishap). Butch is the guy on the right. The track is Englishtown as it was originally built, wood bleachers and all. The picture of him pulling the wheels from behind is from about 15 years ago at E-town.

Butch's son, Danny now owns the car, He has been racing the car since he was 16. he is now 43. Drives pretty well, but all over the place with the lights. Butch had his first tumor in '09 and could not drive after that, so I would drive the car for him. I also would do some bye runs with him in the car to cheer him up. In 2011 I built him a new engine combo to motivate him to work on getting better. Low budget, I used his 377 short block, my old gasser heads, my old TR-1 manifold, My old Hemi dual quads and one of my custom cams. The engine was finished by June and he ran a couple laps at E-town to get him back in shape. In September we went to Numedia dragway in PA.
    He ran the fastest time ever by 3/4 of a second. I think it was one of his happiest days of his life.

[​IMG]

17. jimdillon

jimdillon

Thanks for posting Jim-had not heard from you in awhile. Spring may be finally here-I hope. Here's to a good year drag racing for you (I hope as well).

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and enloe like this.
  18. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

That's a great shot of racing action, is the picture of the black car photo shopped? to show that it appears to be lifting the front wheels?
    Thanks,
    jp

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and jimdillon like this.
  19. jimdillon

jimdillon

JP good one, Jim should get a good chuckle out of your comments. How is your car coming along?

loudbang likes this.
  20. vetrod62

vetrod62

Very funny JP, NOT.
    Even on only two wheels, I can keep my cars off the wall !!

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and jimdillon like this.
  21. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

hells_angels-12-6-1969-altamont068.jpg
    Stop! your stressing me out!

1947knuck, loudbang and enloe like this.
  22. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Jim that's not a loving thing to say.
    jp

loudbang, enloe and jimdillon like this.
  23. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Pretty good and was lucky enough to win the first stick shift race yesterday at wood burn drag strip, car is running high 9s, friend was taking a video inside his car for the 1st round, really tight race and you see me come around right before the traps.

Winners circle picture with some of the fellow stick shift racers in the class. and new look for car.
    jp

Attached Files:

24. loudbang

loudbang

Now that is how you powershift to WIN.

loner2 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  25. jimdillon

jimdillon

Cool video JP-guy was probably bending the floorboard trying to see if there was anything more to hold you off. Glad to see you got the car on the track and now you are running 9s making power more "honestly". Good show.

26. loudbang

loudbang

27. loudbang

loudbang

28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Cool Vette @ about 13:30

29. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Also I believe that HAMBer RatSass has his 2nd generation Corvette there

loudbang and jimdillon like this.
  30. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

DAMN, that Vette is flat gettin with it.

Deuces, enloe and loudbang like this.