Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1942 Chevrolet carryall suburban

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HellsHotRods, Apr 21, 2018.

1. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I'm working with an estate situation where this 1942 carryall will be for sale . (It has been in Los Angeles since 1942)
    I'm No expert on these and I need help in the "what's it worth" ??? .
    The court appraised at $7k but is willing to change that based on realistic offers and assessment. (I will be handing a report to the Attorney). Also, what is a good price to pick this up for that would be FAIR to the estate ? IF anyone on the HAMB is seriously interested and can trailer this from the property in East LA, please let me know.
    The carryall is solid with the only rust in back corners of roof by drip-rails .The sheet metal is very straight with no noticeable damage or dents. I couldn't believe how nice the hood fit and worked.. Both bumpers are there and the grill is complete and not rusted and has no dents (just needs a re-chrome)
    Pretty much complete even interior is nice .
    Only thing I see missing is caps and rings, on taillight and both headlights...
    Hard to tell in the pics, but YES, all four wheels are on the car and holding air! The spare is even underneath! CLEAN TITLE and easy to roll out onto trailer.
    The glass is complete and not even cracked.
    See pics
    Thanks for the help [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Personally I think 7k is VERY generous. It should be running and driving for that kind of money.
    Every region dictates pricing, but what must be kept in mind is any non-local buyer will pay a lot for shipping.

3. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Thank you , I appreciate all opinions and advice.

Here is one I found restored in San Pedro, California. Looks like it has nice potential.

0808clt_04_z-1942_chevy_carryall_suburban-front_right_view.jpg 0808clt_05_z-1942_chevy_carryall_suburban-rear_left_view.jpg

kidcampbell71 and catdad49 like this.
  4. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

If only it were 1000 miles closer I’d be extremely tempted to take a look at this..one of my favorite Chevy truck styles. But I’d have to agree 7k seems kinda high, at least around here anyway.

HellsHotRods likes this.

5. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

That's a neat project and I'd love to have it, but as usual no time, space or money. Your pics make it appear fairly complete, except maybe the right front wheel? Can it roll onto a trailer? Is there a title?

Not intended at all as an insult, but in the condition that is in, needing everything done even though it is all there, I would think that would be in the $1000-2000 price range. I could be wrong.

Devin

HellsHotRods likes this.
  6. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Devin - I appreciate the reply! Yes, all 4 wheels are on the vehicle and holding air. (I know its hard to tell from the pics, the space was cramped) It even had the spare tire/wheel underneath ! It does have a CLEAN TITLE and can roll onto a trailer. Right now the high offer is $1500, I told the Attorney that seems kinda low (in my opinion).

PLEASE Everyone, feel free to comment and show interest.

I have no interest as I am out of space/time/money.....

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  7. cometman98006

cometman98006

That could be a very cool highway crusier but in addition to the body work it would need a good small block, auto trans, 3.5 or so rear end , independent front suspension and power steering with better brakes all around. Parts alone would be at least $10,000. Add to that the cost of body work, paint, interior, etc.(chroming a good grill on that will cost $1,500) so even doing most of the work yourself you'd probably have over $25 k into it. I think $7,000 is to high.

8. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Couldn't agree more. I still argue that it's tough to do a Build under 25K. (And yes, I do most all my own work).
    It is a cool Style with the windows. I've only ever seen Sedan Deliveries, so it's got that going for it. Fun to throw the kids in the back and go for ice cream.

I hope you keep us updated as to wheat it sells for. It's a good gauge for future reference.

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Can't see the shift lever, but if it's a 3 speed, that's a plus. The taillight, back bumper, boards & rear fenders are all there. Rear seats always missing. Headlights are easy. '42 trucks came new with painted grilles if that matters ... as it looks today, $7500 is way high, but scrubbed up & running, it would sell way quick ...

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

E0A76F96-CE8A-4C90-BF10-ED55AFC24342.jpeg I know this is not the same as yours, but may give you some help. It sold here in o
    Oklahoma for $1200 about a year ago. So yours is worth way more than your last offer. Bones

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

another fun what's it worth thread. I would like to go back to the 80's or 90's where that truck would only bring $1,000.00 and buy 10 of them. we even have a guy here saying it is over priced who has his car on ebay for double what it should sell for.

you are in SoCal and have people giving prices for Sheepfuck Idaho. there is no where in the country better to sell a car like that than So Cal.

12. Funnnnny:D.

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

7000 seems like a good price to me. 1936-47 Suburbans are hard to find around here that are not stripped or rotten.

14. unklgriz

unklgriz

Well, I'll chime in on this. I have watched the prices on "burbs and panels go from nothing to more than they are worth. With the ones that I have personally looked at, This one is in pretty damn nice shape. I know that the '41-'46 Chevy's have front fender issues, missing headlight buckets, turn signal buckets, Etc. So, from my experience at looking at these trucks, I would have to agree with 49ratfink, These used to bring 1k or more and I would have taken 10 or so of them. Being that you are in SoCal, I would guess that 5k-7k would be pretty close to what that would bring down there. Now up here it would be more in the lines of 3k-4k. I mean heck, It's a rare Suburban in good shape.
    I hope you can help the estate out with this one.

15. RMONTY

RMONTY

That thing covers a lot of real estate and will take someone with a big imagination and a lot of motivation to bring it around to a decent ride. I think $7k is alot, but what do i know?

16. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

The shifter is there, 3 speed (although some had 4 speed?)
    From what I saw inside I could see 2 seats, pretty full with junk piled in there......

QUESTION : What is the little round pedal to the right of the throttle pedal used for???

knifefighter likes this.
  17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that is the starter. step on it with your foot. it's like your foot is the solenoid.:)

HellsHotRods and knifefighter like this.
  18. I live just outside SheepFuck, Idaho and you are all right, that truck wouldn't bring north or $4,000 out here, but in SoCal that is probably close to the right money. I agree, hose it off, sweep it out, lay the parts out where someone can see them and post some pictures. It will sell.

19. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

If someone wants this and can offer more than $1600 I might be able to make that a real possibility for you.(I work with the Attorney). Let me know.......maybe you can flip it and make something.

20. Wow! Is it gone yet? I'd almost give that for those back doors if they weren't a 14 hour drive away.

21. Derelick

Derelick
    from So Cal

Old cars sell for more in CA, about 18 mounts ago I check out a old restored 1941 suburban that sold for 28K in San Diego. I just purchased a 56 suburban or I would buy it at 4-5K, try eBay or craigslist, it should not be that hard to sell a no rust So Cal Suburban.

Last edited: May 12, 2018