Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods THOUGHTS ON MY 29 COUPSTER?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nos1partstore, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

Hey guys, looking to get some honest feedback on the current direction of my coupster. I built the 32 frame, tucked the wheel wells to follow the frame rails, using 1957 283, offy intake, triple 48s, th350 trans, 8" rear, etc. Trying to have a traditional look to it. Running 32 grill, drums all around, manual brakes. Probably gonna keep it bare steel. What do you all think so far?

Attached Files:

slim38, Stogy, lurker mick and 5 others like this.
  2. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

I'm diggin' it! Love the idea of bare steel. Maybe rust-up the wheels and some other components just enough to give it an aged look, but not total rust. The dusty look it has right now looks great! Too many stray when they're gloss cleared and all clean. It would be kool to make it look dusty so it stays that way.
    It's begging for baseball-glove brown interior.
    Not a big fan of non-Ford power, but it's not my Ride!
    Keep the updates coming!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. brady1929

brady1929

It's cool. I like it.

4. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

5. Looking great, nice job. Detailed 283 would be nice. Not a big fan of 32 shells on a 29 though.

6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

That is one of the better coupester conversions I've seen. Except for the Bitchin' firewall and the thought of leaving it in bare steel, I like it.

Tim, lurker mick, Squablow and 3 others like this.
  7. missysdad1

missysdad1

Looks good so far! I'd like to see more photos of the way you've handled the windshield. I've redone mine a couple of times and am still not happy with it. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Vanness and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. I like the wire wheels & steering wheel! The windshield posts look nicely integrated, not a hack job like most coupsters.

However, wire wheels were used primarily before WWII, when hot rod Model As were only a decade old and they would've probably still retained their stock paint.
    After WWII, wires were less popular and (stronger) solid steelies were in.

This endeth the history lesson for today. :rolleyes:;)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Vanness, chryslerfan55 and cactus1 like this.
  9. A Boner

A Boner

Looks great!
    Really like bare steel hot rods....but in Nebraska, I'd paint it like this Tom Davison picture of the Weesner roadster at the LSR. Probably from the 1940 Ford color chart.
    image.png

Squablow, chryslerfan55 and Just Gary like this.
  10. Oh yeah!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

11. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Paint it and youre on to something

12. Squablow

Squablow

I think I agree with the masses, the coupester conversion looks to have been handled really well (which can be a tough thing to do on these, especially 28/29) but I would much rather see it with paint on it. The trans and coilovers won't show once finished so it should still give the look you're going for. I'm also not crazy about the firewall, it's a little contemporary looking for a wire wheeled car but certainly not a dealbreaker.

13. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

I really appreciate all the feedback...I didn' didn't even think about the new age firewall when I ordered it. When I bought the body, there was no firewall at all. I will certainly consider this next time. I attached a pic of the first one I built about 6 years ago....so I think I am getting better. Maybe if there is ever a 3rd one i will be able to check all the boxes.

Attached Files:

14. Vanness

Vanness

I like it ....like the frame. Like your conversion. Brakes seem on point and tires seem odd, not wires. I don’t mind the wires so much as they are on mine as well. Like the dash and the grille( 32 on anything is sweet imo). Bare steel is sweet too. I’d go that route but it would be pure rust - no steel. In fact. Snowing heavy now. Jesus.

15. I think it needs paint

Just Gary likes this.
  16. Looks cool! I'd paint it though.

Just Gary likes this.
  17. Looks good. Paint it!

18. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

Paint??? But it will only be bare once...

Stogy likes this.
  19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Paint it!!!!! Its a very nice start so far,I like it.
    Here's something your missing,the bearmetal thing is a trendy BS,it's one of those things that some goofy way got going only few years back from a TV show an Jimmy Shine being too biz to paint his,he wanted to do shiny black when he did up date{but Mr dipshit boss talked him out of. Sucked then an still dose. We didn't ever let a car stay bear in the 50s or 60s,except if the builder died an then the next guy painted it. The only things bearmetal looks like is unfinished or too lazy to finish.
    Ya,I'm one of those on HAMB that was actully building hot rods an customs in the 50s n 60s as a teen,not going to be many of us around too much longer to pass on the real !! of it. Great fun rodding too all !

Just Gary likes this.
  20. I'm not a fan of the coupster thing with its sawed off windshield post look, never have been and will never be. The frame looks good and the metal looks clean, firewall matches the windshield posts.

21. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

I wish I would have thought more about the firewall....i would have looked for an original one somewhere. Lesson learned i guezs. With the paint ordeal...I recon it's partially a budget constraint, and partial concern with one of my 4 kids scratching the hell out of it as well

22. How bout a a few coats of red epoxy
    Kinda give it a red oxide vibe. And by all means let the kids enjoy it

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Just Gary likes this.
  23. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like paint. Doesn't have to be "million dollar paint job". Maybe a older Ford color. 32-40. I think bare metal might be alright for awhile.

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

and that's a good thing...;)

I like it...You have added a few unique details here and there to make it your own...I agree with the masses on paint then let it get a nice layer of street dirt and kiddy fingers to take the brand new edge off it...what I call the driven look.

Bare metal cars are generally highly finished overall and perhaps that is where your going with it and it is still a work in progress. This is just my opinion and not to discourage or insult what you have done to this point. I think wires are awesome...along with the treatment following the frame in the kick-up area. That's a neat metal swirl just behind the doors. I think it needs caps on the wheels and maybe trim rings...Give it the ambience of your Avatar...;)...its even a nice colour but why not give it a different hue with some pin striping to round it out...It sure has come a long way from that pic when you got it...oh that's another...:eek:...this one looks way better...good on you.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Just Gary likes this.
  25. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

This was it when I bought it...pretty ugly, and some of the worst fab that I have ever seen....disgusting welds, prices thrown together to channel it over the frame.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  26. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

You have come a long way from those pics. The original firewalls on the 28-29 are really nice. Mine is hidden under hood most of time but I know it's there. And with a Chevy engine most of time you do not need a recessed firewall when using a 32 frame. I had to move radiator forward a bit to get the SBF in mine.

Stogy likes this.