Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ..Under what Vin #,Title or car is this??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miller, Apr 18, 2018.

1. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

..On Bitchin Rides these guys started with a 57 corvette to which they have a TITLE, put a NEW frame under it, had some body guys change every body panel on it...It NO longer is a 57 corvette it is all NEW....That being said how come a 31 ford 5w coupe metal body & frame which is all rotted out and the body and frame are changed to say a 31 5w fiberglass body and a New frame it is not a 31 any more????....I guess what I am trying to say is how can these guys put the title and vin numbers of a 57 corvette on to a NEW BODY & FRAME and call it a 57 corvette?????...Miller

loudbang likes this.
  2. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Depends on the state laws. In some states you can title new aftermarket cars as the year they resemble. Like 1932s and Cobra kit cars are legally registered with new state issued VINs and are legal 1932s and 1965 cobras. Other states you need to title them as the year built. They would be 2018 SCV titles. It all depends on the state laws.

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Does't anyone remember the deal with Boyd Coddington, and him using legitimate (or is that illigitimate?) paperwork on fiberglass replicas? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. henry29

henry29

All they legally need is the firewall with a good vin attached.

alchemy and Bandit Billy like this.

5. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

I believe he was running the titles through Alabama and that loop hole.

Again In some states you can legally have a 1932 title for a 100% aftermarket parts car. Because the law lets you title an assembled car as the year it most closely resembles. You get issued a new state VIN#.

gimpyshotrods and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. 26Troadster

26Troadster

no title on 74 and older in bama.

7. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

many sites on this ---no need to open that can again-- guys

8. squirrel

squirrel

I thought the car serial number tag was on the steering column on those cars? :)

Moriarity likes this.
  9. The serial number tag on a '57 Vette is on the door frame attached with sheet metal screws. If you have that tag and a matching title, do you own a '57 Vette?

maneri likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True there but on the Vette if they had the main piece that the Vin was originally on with the original vin that probably passes muster with some states wanting to issue a rebuilt title.
    On that one it still comes down to the simple fact that all the way through it is documented to show that yes it still has some of the basic pieces that came with the title that show it's the same car.
    I can't say a thing as if my calculations are right the only part of my 48 is the the same exact part that was on the truck when I bought it in 1973 is the left front inner and outer fender. Every other part has been changed at least once if not two or three times.

Pretty much like the old story of Abe Lincoln's axe. This is Abe Lincoln's axe that he split rails with. Over the years the handle has been changed three times and the head has been changed twice but it's still Abe Lincoln's old axe.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No. Once the tag has been removed from the car, the chain of ownership has been broken.

12. My 59 Corvette has a Vin tag on the steering column, a Vin tag on the driver's side door jamb and a 2 numbers on the frame (1 stamped, 1 painted that match). Neither of the other two match and do not match the frame number. The car was sold 6 times with bills of sale, but title never transfered.

I have been told by DMV that once the car is drivable, I have to take it to CHP for them to assign a number to it. They will not assign it until it is complete and inspected.

When you buy a basket case, check the numbers and the DMV to know what you are getting into.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

They started with a legally titled 57 Vette. Rolled an aftermarket "replacement" chassis under it (and probably stamp the VIN on it). Then they "restored" or "modified" the body. Not unlike someone buying/building an all new chassis to roll under their stock Model A, which gets heavily modified in the body area. It's probably still a legally owned 57 Vette. Keep all the receipts, documented work.
    Here, you can take an existing home and demo it down to one standing, bare stud wall w/ the electric service panel and permit the new build as a "remodel" instead of a "new" build home, which saves a ton of money on permits, fees for new utilities, sewer hookups, etc. The finished home still shows a "build date" of 1950, but the home is anything but that.

14. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

My local guy tells me that if you remove a vin or serial tag from a vehicle and attach it to another you are in deep do-do.
    Pete

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  15. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He is correct.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Around here, if the remodel cost is more than 50% of the previous value of the property, it is required to meet all of the new codes. There was a restaurant that had a fire and the cost of repair would be high enough that it had to meet codes. That included setbacks from the street which had been widened and more parking. It would have cut it down to 1/2 it's original area and cost twice as much. The family ended up taking the insurance money and and selling the property.

17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So if a couple from Arkansas elopes and gets married in Las Vegas
    then moves to Tennessee where after living for awhile, they figure out they can't stand to be married so.....
    they get a divorce

Are they still brother and sister?

Texas Webb and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

its later than that now.. 81 0r 82 I believe.

19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

With the price you would pay for those two items, I’d say you
    Might as well.

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

It's now a rolling 35 years old. Every year it goes up a year, 2018 would be 1983, so anything older than a 1983 doesn't require a title, and they won't issue a new one or transfer an old one. Old titles are still valid to the original named owner on them, but when the vehicle is sold after it gets to be 35 years old, they no longer need a title. Lots of later model stuff sitting around with lost titles can now be sold and registered legally. Used to be, if you didn't have or couldn't get a title to a 75 or newer vehicle, it was worthless except for use as a parts car. Now you just sit on it until it's 35 years old and it can be legally registered again.