Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Will 35 sedan wheel wells fit a 35 coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Do it Over, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

I've researched and read there's a difference between sedan and coupe fenders. Read the difference is in mounting hole locations behind the axle and maybe width. Can I conclude since it wasn't mentioned that the shape at the body is the same ? If I redrill the mounting holes to match my fenders will I be good? My issue is my wheel wells are rotted. I can fab and patch mine but if I can find much better to start with I will. Here's where I'm at now.

Thanks
    Leon

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Guess I'll take a shot and post the results.

3. alchemy

alchemy

I'd patch those instead of cutting them all out and replacing. Much less welding, and no purchase price of the new panels.

kidcampbell71, Dave Mc and Hnstray like this.
  4. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

They look worse in person and I'm sure they are pretty thin in many places. Once I hit it with the blaster there will certainly be carnage.

5. Squablow

Squablow

I was under the impression that there's quite a bit different between the coupe and sedan, way more than just mounting points, I think the shape is different too, and the depth. I don't think cutoffs from a sedan are going to be much help but I can't say that with 100% authority.

6. b-bob

b-bob

This may work, on my 39 coupe i had to use a wheel well panel from a 40 sedan and there was no problem. I am sure 35/6 back fenders are different on coupes than sedans.

7. beater32

beater32

Doesn't work. I can't remember exactly was a fair while ago I tried. But they aren't even close.

Sent from my ZTE R84 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. alchemy

alchemy

Apples and oranges. The 39-40 coupes and sedans used the same fender. The 35's and 36's did use different fenders between coupes and sedans.

9. eberhama

eberhama

From the middle of the wheel well forward, they are pretty much the same. From the center back the are very different. The coupe/roadster body tapers inward, making the rear fenders wider. The sedan is straight back, width wise. I used sedan ones on mine, as mine were almost totally missing, but I ended up making a patchwork of coupe/sedan/new metal to make it work.

ABONES and RICH B like this.
  10. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Someone did a thread on converting 35/36 sedan fenders to coupe a while back by adding a a metal strip to the inside and drilling new holes. After conversion they look closer to coupe fenders but the profile is not the same.
    I think that thread was part of a 36 build and could not locate but here are some others.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1935-ford-sedan-fenders-into-coupe-fenders.632522/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1935-vs-1936-coupe-vs-sedan-ford-rear-fenders.627525/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/36-ford-coupe-rear-fender-id.381901/

Do it Over likes this.
  11. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Thanks for all the input but a lot of comments are regarding fenders which I know are different. I want to use the wheelwell/wheelhouse. Even if I can use most of it it can save me substantial fab time.

12. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I've got the ass off a slantback Fordor and my 35' 3 window project sitting around. I could take some pictures and measure stuff this weekend if that would help. They are different....

Do it Over likes this.
  13. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Yes, it would help.
    Thanks

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

I can't add anything, just a good read, HAMB members helping a new guy out, what this site is all about. Bob

Do it Over likes this.
  15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I first bought my '36 3W coupe, I found the left (driver's side) rear fender was spot welded onto the body, while the right (passenger side) was the correct fender. I carefully cut the welds to remove both fenders and put them side-by-side for future ID. I know your question is about '35 rear fenders, but the mounting is close or the same as the '36 fenders and the profiles would also be close. I hope these will help......

First (2) pics are of the rear fenders, sitting as they were mounted, one from the front, one from the rear:

[​IMG]Front of Rear Fenders by TagMan, on Flickr

[​IMG]Back of Rear Fenders by TagMan, on Flickr

Mounted on the car:

[​IMG]Sedan on Coupe (rear) by TagMan, on Flickr

[​IMG]Coupe on coupe (rear) by TagMan, on Flickr

[​IMG]Sedan on Coupe (frt) by TagMan, on Flickr

[​IMG]Coupe on coupe (front) by TagMan, on Flickr

Do it Over and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. beater32

beater32

I was referring to the wheel wells. Tried to join a coupe rear on them but nope.

Sent from my ZTE R84 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Thanks Tagman. I clearly see the difference between the coupe and sedan fenders. It seems that the sedan fender while wrong in width fits tight to the body like the coupe fender. Is this so? I'm looking to use the wheelwell from the sedan not the fenders so if the contour at the body is the same it's a good sign. Are the fenders the same length end to end? They look to be.

18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, both the coupe and sedan fenders fit tight to the body - the contour is identical. The rear mounting holes are different, perhaps on purpose to prevent the wrong fender being accidentally mounted on the wrong car. They fit exactly, front to rear, too.

I was told the exact same condition existed with the '35 fenders.

Do it Over likes this.
  19. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to hear.

20. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I got sidetracked by real life and didn’t get the coupe measured, but here’s what’s going on with a sedan.

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Do it Over likes this.
  21. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Thanks Lewk. I'll compare them this week.

Leon