Register now to get rid of these ads!

Round 3 Sydney Dragway

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by spanners, Apr 17, 2018.

1. spanners

spanners

We trundled down to Sydney last Saturday for round 3 of the championships. Only 3 of us this time as James had a family commitment . What could be more important than going racing for the day?
    The wind was going to be an issue as it was blowing pretty hard at times Whilst we are not going as quick as some, it gave me a couple of heart starter moments so I hate to think what it was like for the bikes. Most of the track is protected by the sound mound but when you hit the braking area the wind would hit side on.
    We started out with each of us getting a bye run with me the fastest qualifier. I don't know if it was the wind or what but I'm running a bit slower than usual. I thought I might've hurt the motor last time when the accelerator got stuck but a compression test had all cylinders within 5 psi and no usual clunks or rattles. I ran 14.341, 14.332, 14.352 so of course dialed 14.30.
    First shootout had Ezio taking the win over Anthony and I had the bye. Ran a 14.157. Dang! Changed my dial to 14.10. Ran against Anthony in the second shootout and backed off for a 14.472.
    Up against Ezio in the next and couldn't reel him in but I'm buggered if I know why. Ran a lazy 14.635. The only thing I could put it down to was the wind was gusting really bad at that time and the carbys sucked in a shit load of dust and crap. That's my excuse and I'll stick to it.
    That gave Ezio 3 wins and me 2 so it was us in the final. Because I'd run slower I went against my unwritten rule and changed my dial in again. 14.40. Big mistake! Or it should've been. I bloody redlit again and by .002 at that. Ezio took the win and I drove home swearing at myself, AGAIN. Me and the crew chief got home a bit after midnight and we were knackered. We leave home around 5.30 in the morning so it's a long day but I still love it.

Crosley and Black Knight Racing like this.
  2. spanners

spanners

Sorry if the videos are a bit crappy as I'm learning the new fangled car camera. Willowbank Crusin magazine Nostalgias in 2 weeks so I'll try to sort it out by then. Hooroo.

3. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Loooks good , thanks for the videos

4. bobw

bobw

Videos looked fine to me. Car sounds terrific.

5. spanners

spanners

Thank you for the encouraging words. That motor has done over 500 passes since I freshened it up. I picked up my other short block and parts from the local engine shop last week and just have to put it together. It will be a 'just in case' engine. Forged pistons, bored and balanced, reground cam and lightened flywheel. Nothing fancy, hopefully a reliable engine like the one I'm using now.

Crosley and Black Knight Racing like this.
  6. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Enjoyed your videos & tales once again, happy to have'em here. I'll have some more up in a couple weeks, just need to get my computer's editing kagada sorted out so I can again.

I spent the shekels for a Q.T. bell some time ago, shortly after a shaved flywheel took the "straight" out of my frame rails. When another one "kitted" itself inside that bell, I coughed up for a steel flywheel (and an OZ clutch set) as well. Only thing I had to cobble up was to stitch the ring gear onto the steel flywheel when the slight difference in heat expansion rates defeated the press fit. Did it right in the pits, through the starter hole, with a stick & buzz box. No probs since. :D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Crosley likes this.
  7. bobw

bobw

I love the pit repair stories, Dick. Just like the old days. Woulda been easy to close up shop for the day and fix'er in the comforts of home.

Hey spanners, your operation is taking on some elements of a pro racing outfit. Spare bullets and all.

8. spanners

spanners

Yes, I suppose it does sound like that but since I got the enclosed trailer the amount of spares I was carrying got a bit ridiculous. I was carrying fan belts that didn't suit my car but they were there in case someone else needed one. I got ruthless and only carry stuff to suit mine now. Do you think carrying a spare engine, gearbox and diff centre might be going overboard? I could set up an overhead gantry in the trailer for engine changes.:D:D

Crosley likes this.