Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical V8 Quick Change Conversions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jseery, Jan 24, 2014.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Thanks, looks good..In my next life I will use those cutters..lol..FYI and I tell this to everyone who has or gets axles shortened, they do lose strength....Back in early 70's I had some 31 spline axles done locally, he went through a bunch of end mills and chewed me a new one about them being so hard!! However I promply broke one first time at the drags, some wheel hop [ok, quite a bit but couldn't even get the bars adjusted] with healthy street tires and it twisted right outside the axle gear...I welded the stock spline reminant in place, adjusted the bars some and went back the next week..Better but broke the otherside..Good thing I had a detroit locker as I could still drive the car home though you had to get used to the pull to the left or right when accelerating....welded that one back together and ordered a set of Strange axles and drove around on the welded ones..Went back with the new axles with a little more bar adjustment and hop gone, third times the charm I guess...Ah, youth and energy, wish I still had BOTH!..

2. cabong

cabong

Simple math.......QC=HRW Don't make me explain that!!!!

3. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

As a side line, just acquired a Halibrand fuel cap to go with my QC.

Attached Files:

4. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Todays updates.

Attached Files:

5. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Also had some time to work on the Transmission Adapter I am making.

Note: This information on T5 is being moved to Traditional "style".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Nice job on the Quickchange upgrade. I fully understand the desire to do all this the old fashion way. The satisfaction of doing it better than the old days, with leftover parts is 'priceless'.

To those of you reading this and not having a lathe, mill and tooling, and the ability to parlay this into the finished product, buy the pieces that you can assemble or a complete rear end. jseery probably has over 20 hours in machining. If you have to pay a shop to do that, you are probably looking at close to $1000 plus parts. I know, you have a buddy that will do it for a case of beer. Me too, but I can't keep him from drinking the beer before he finishes the job.

Seriously, this is not rocket science but it's not an afternoon project either.

By the way; many years ago I toured the Currie plant. The set-up they had for resplining axles was an end mill (about 1 1/4" dia.) that came into the axle at 45 degrees (Y-Z axis) tangent to the shaft. One full depth pass cut, from the end inward. Indexing was a 31 tooth gear with a pawl to lock rotation. Axle was held in a 3 jaw chuck on the flange end and a dead center on the spline end.

Result, 90 degree splines

What I found amazing was the tear down area. I didn't know there were that many 9" rear ends ever made.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

You are on a roll...!..T5 to what? I'm tring to guess, maybe an 8BA?

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

""What I found amazing was the tear down area. I didn't know there were that many 9" rear ends ever made.""

Currie and/or Moser had been in the axle shortening business for years before the hot rod market, primarily for fork lifts and electric shop trucks like Cushmans and they had a mountain of rears back then..

9. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

59a with hogshead adapted to T5 Z with S10 tail shaft housing.

Note: The information on T5 is being moved to Traditional "Style".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Got it..I last winter I put a T5z in OT car, shifts really nice with Royal Purple Syncromax oil per recommendation of the place I bought a less OD [.80/.68] fifth gear from..

11. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Finished up the axles today, the bearings are pressed back on and they are ready to go. The QC is finished up except for a spacer the needs to be made. Went with a #3 gear set, so the ratios will be 4:11 & 3:48. The ring and pinion are 3:78.

Attached Files:

12. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Think I will delete the T5 information and move it over to Traditional "style" for two reasons: One it is not Traditional, that's for sure and Second, it is off topic under this heading.

13. Clarktm

Clarktm

Thanks for all the great tech. I am in the process of building a 201 now. I have the 40 banjo with 9/34 gears and the Merc side gears. Great pictures in the article to show exactly what needs to been done.

14. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Great info, thanks. Also got a 201 that i want to do this conversion on, so if I can find a 'cheap' machine shop, it may happen.. quickrear.jpg

15. AULIZ

AULIZ

I like this thread.

Aulis

16. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stuff guys! This is real hot rodding....