Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Wheel suggestions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DCS, Apr 17, 2018.

1. DCS

DCS

Looking for some ideas/ suggestions for a wheel setup on my 38 .

Attached Files:

72yenkonova and 31hotrodguy like this.
  2. I'd get the front end down a little bit, American five spokes.
    Nice coupe!

3. Nice coupe I have a 2 door sedan 38 Chevy, my 38 has 17” foose 5 spokes, not traditional I know but I’m with 40FORD on the old school five spokes

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

zzford likes this.
  4. DCS

DCS

Thanks Guys!

zzford likes this.

5. Hard to be the timeless look of the American Torque Thrust wheels with the gray center w/t polished lip. HRP

upload_2018-4-17_10-8-19.jpeg

6. No problem, yup those torque thrust’s are exactly what I’m talking about, I got 14” fenton’s on my 61 olds and it’s definitely a timeless look

7. Dirk35

Dirk35

My opinion, get the front end down, and in under the fender first. While you're working on that, look for a set of cheap trim rings for those wheels. I think you'd be really surprised how much better the car will look by correcting the stance, and perhaps you'll decide that a change of wheels is not necessary (saving you money).

j hansen and Hollywood-East like this.
  8. wvenfield

wvenfield

I like what's on it.

rwrj, Chiss, Elcohaulic and 1 other person like this.
  9. DCS

DCS

H
    How much would you suggest lowering the front ?

10. DCS

DCS

I know a cars stance says it all. I wish I could find some pictures of other 38s to get some examples of a killer stance

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

Big TT fan here, as HRP suggested. Another choice would be chrome reverse & WWW, with the nose dropped a skoosh of course. See Moriarty's '40 (his avatar )for some inspiration.
    [​IMG]

Moriarity and 31hotrodguy like this.
  12. Stooge

Stooge

I like whats on there, but lower with a smooth center cap or trim ring, I think would add a lot to it.

I know its a ford, but a buddy's '38 on chrome torque thrusts, ( I want to say staggered 14" and 15"), low enough in the front, but I know he wants to bring the back down a bit more. I thought I had a better picture, but I don't.

41480107732_3f03929c47_z.jpg

13. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Try something different (and relatively cheap), a set of Moon wheel covers.
    Or a set of Halibrand Sprint copies. Too many five spoke wheels out there, 75% (or more) of the hot rods seem to have them.

And yea, agreed, drop the front by about 1-1/2"+ or so if you have the fender clearance.

Mike

Elcohaulic, DCS and Hollywood-East like this.
  14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This...
    [​IMG]

And this for the rear...
    [​IMG]
    You could even leave the stance as-is.

15. Nothing beats hubcaps
    F7982CA4-777C-4AD0-B58F-7950D67C61F5.png

rc57, wvenfield and K13 like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are tons of American 5 spokes out there simply because most of their designs are timeless and no matter what car they are on or how old the wheels are they don't look dated. On the other Hand the style that theHighlander suggested above are also timeless and the sizes he suggested give the car a slight gasser/competition look that doesn't call for lowering the front end.
    Some wheels while looking great on certain styles of rides miss the mark for the whole effect of the car because they don't match the time frame of the rest of the build. Cool for a Friday night cruise night at the burger joint parking lot but off the mark when critical eyes see the whole rig in a show. I saw one that fit that description on Sunday at the show I went to. The wheel combo while popular and nice looking didn't blend wheel with the other things on the vehicle and stuck out a bit. That car really needed pinner white walls on some chrome reverse wheels with baby moons to look spot on.

The main thing that I think 90% of us will agree on is pick a set of wheels that don't scream "he bought us in 2018 because the tire store kid said they were the hot lick" when we see them on the car in three or four years. Pick something timeless that doesn't look dated no matter how many years you run them.

RacingRoger, 31hotrodguy and DCS like this.
  17. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The photo is not clear. Are you still on 6 lug?......it does not look like it.
    I'm not feeling those pointy center caps on those black wheels. Some good old baby moons on the set up you have now would help tremendously.
    Chrome Gennies....not smoothies, but chromed factory style wheels would look very well with black walls.
    I think the stance is fine.

DCS likes this.
  18. This one sits right! HRP

upload_2018-4-17_11-45-27.jpeg

Tjompen, rc57, InstantT and 5 others like this.
  19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Or you could make a mild custom out if it with skirts in the back and keep the front end at its present height.
    Post some side shots if it and go to our photoshop thread.
    Those boys are good and will give you all kinds of ideas.

20. Jibs

Jibs

Here you go wheels & stance all in one picture.

1938 Chevy coupe.jpg

49ratfink, j hansen and 72yenkonova like this.
  21. DCS

DCS

I really do dig the wheels the highlander mentioned . I also really like the nose up look. . Most of the Rods around me ( Atlantic Canada) are running 20 in billets hoops. Not my cup of tea! Thanks for the comment.[/QUOTE]

j hansen and 72yenkonova like this.
  22. DCS

DCS

Im running 5x4.5 bolt pattern . The cars got a 8.8 rear diff and a nova front clip (conversion rotors)

23. Here’s a picture of my 38 you can kind of see the side profile of how the car sits, however it does have a mustang 2 front in it

[​IMG]

24. DCS

DCS

Does this car belong to a Hamb member? Id love to ask em some questions

72yenkonova likes this.
  25. DCS

DCS

26. Not to my knowledge,just a photo in my pictures. HRP

72yenkonova and DCS like this.
  27. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a little prejudiced on wheels for a 38 Chevy:)
    Just a pair of ET Slots on the back as well as five spokes (darned if I can remember what brand they are) on the front. I've caught some slack from some friends for lowering the car, they thought I should have jacked the front up gasser style....your car -- your choice. Back in the 80's I saw a 37 Chevy coupe with steelies that matched the body color, trim rings and stock 50? Chevy hubcaps that looked really nice. Your car looks pretty nice
    IMG_1136.JPG

31hotrodguy, 72yenkonova and DCS like this.
  28. DCS

DCS

Thanks! Are you running a mustang II front end?

29. taildragger with flipper caps
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    38 chevy.jpg

rc57, Just Gary and Elcohaulic like this.
  30. Pick a wheel any wheel 20161008_170036.jpg