Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage We went up Pikes Peak in the Hot Rod today.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Montana1, Apr 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Montana1 likes this.
  2. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Don't worry she was grinning from ear to ear. Sorry for your loss my friend.

Montana1 likes this.
  3. Looks like one of the snow plows is going back down for the day. They have some serious snow equipment!

20180415_0087.JPG
    Almost at the top...

20180415_0093.JPG
    Are we there yet? :rolleyes:

20180415_0110.JPG

19 miles up here!

20180415_0119.JPG

We made it!!!

20180415_0116.JPG
    We did bring her along. No, we're not going to spred her ashes.
    Happy birthday, Honey! We love you and miss you! We'll see you soon!

4. Thanks Bill, congratulations on your 50 years. That is a mile stone these days. We had 41 1/2 years and we did everything together. She is my best friend for life and the memories flood me every day. Sharing this story is one way for both of us to heal up a little. :)

jim snow, CowboyTed and oldsjoe like this.
  5. rust&patina

rust&patina

:( God Bless All Of You :)

Montana1 likes this.
  6. Thanks Carp. Family is one of the most important things in life. We have all rallied around each other and been very supportive of each other. I don't know how I would have made it this far without them and vise-versa. :)

catdad49 likes this.
  7. Thanks Racer 29. Where else is there to go, but to the Lord, right?

8. Thanks Roger. My wife was a key to our success in life. I don't know many women that could or would do what we did. They say that behind every successful man is a surprised Mother-in-law. That was the case here!

I plan on passing through for Fathers Day. Hope to see you there. :)

tractorguy likes this.
  9. Thanks okiedokie. There are no words for some things in life. This is probably one of them and I respect that.

Just give me an honest mans hug when you see me. :)

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A fine honor to a great lady I'd have to say.

Montana1 likes this.
  11. You're welcome Jalopy Joker and thanks for the encouragement. You're right! Before she passed, she told me it was my turn to take care of the grandkids for her. She loved the kids, any and all of them. So, that's what I've been doing!

The other day, our 7 yr. old grandson was riding in the OTher car with his Momma and he said, "You know Momma, I really like riding in Papa's Hot Rod." She asked him, "Why is that?" He said, "Because you can hear the motor running!"

We all got a chuckle out of that one! I think he may be hooked on Hot Rods, what do you think? :)

12. Thanks Mr48chev. Years ago we used to do the show at the fairgrounds out there. It was one of our favorites back in the early 90's. ;)

13. deucemac

deucemac

A well told and bittersweet story. What a wonderful tribute to your one and only! My congratulations and condolences.

Montana1 likes this.
  14. Smiffy

Smiffy

Sorry to read about your lose. Thank you for sharing.

Montana1 likes this.
  15. And now for a quick lap around the gift shop before we head back to civilization...

20180415_0112.JPG

That's Bigfoot in the back there! The one on the right! :eek:

20180415_0114.JPG

Well, it's all down hill from here... :cool:

20180415_0120.JPG
    20180415_0121.JPG

20180415_0124.JPG

16. Thanks for sharing your story. I have to tell you that kind of hit home. I am the one with cancer and I am not in remission. I didn't know that I would make it this long, but in two days we will be celebrating our 50th anniversary.
    I am really that you made the trip with your whole family, and that you had such a beautiful day to travel.
    I was in the US from 70 to 73 as an exchange pilot with the USAF, and I used to fly into Pete Field from time to time. I loved the area, and the mountain has kind of a special meaning for me because the first time I read about it, was in Hot Rod, telling the story of the climb and the Unsers. I never got to drive up the mountain, but I got to see it through your experience.
    Cheers,
    Bob

Sparked, warbird1 and Montana1 like this.
  17. Back to the switchbacks...

20180415_0133.JPG

For a dropped axle car, I was pleased with how it handled in the mountains.

20180415_0134.JPG

20180415_0137.JPG

I often think about when our daughter was a tour guide on the Cog Railway, she always told a little story so that people wouldn't be scared if something broke going down the mountain. It went something like this...

"And if the brakes fail or the motor quits, there is no need to worry, there are two GIANT springs at the bottom of the mountain to catch us if the train runs away... Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs!!!" :eek::D

IMG_1789.JPG

IMG_1851.JPG

18. You're welcome Bob. Congratulations on 50 years!!! I just want to encourage you to never give up, and always trust in the Lord. It's a win-win situation...
    Love ya brother. :)

j-jock, oldsjoe and e1956v like this.
  19. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing your wonderful day with us. I know that your wife was smiling down on you with her approval.

Montana1 likes this.
  20. Back down to the Glenn Cove gift shop. I think this is about the 13 mile marker.

This is our son and his lovely wife...

IMG_1880.JPG

20180415_0144.JPG

This place reminds me of a little story of my first trip up the mountain back in '72. Right after we graduated from high school, me and two other guys rode our dirt bikes out here from northern Illinois. :eek:

This spot is where they have a brake check station coming down the mountain. Well, we pulled up there and the official was commenting how he thought we were crazy for riding all that ways on dirt bikes, and in the mean time he was proceeding to check our brakes.

This was way before digital thermometers. He reached down there and grabbed the front hub of my buddy's bike and yelled out, "WOW!!! THAT THING IS HOT!!! YOU BOYS PULL OVER RIGHT THERE AND LET THEM COOL!!! :eek: We still laugh at his stupidity! :rolleyes:

Nice Teddy bear...

20180415_0145.JPG

When we came out, there were these three guys on tour from Germany looking over the Hot Rod. They thought the car was really neat and said that they never see anything like this back home, because they thought you would never get it past a state inspection. o_O

We can be very thankful that we live in the good ole' USA where we are still free. ;)

IMG_1876.JPG

21. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

FAMILY=HEALING! Joe

Montana1 likes this.
  22. PAracer

PAracer

I’m sorry for your loss. I enjoyed the story. Thanks for taking us along.

One can only play the cards their dealt. Seems your playing them pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

oldsjoe and Montana1 like this.
  23. Our 7 yr. old grandson decided he wanted to be baptized on Nana's birthday celebration and thought the Crystal Creek Reservoir would be appropriate. So we stopped by on the way down, but the water was still very cold!

There it is right over there...
    IMG_1743.JPG

Daddy improvised and used some warm water from the thermos bottle and got the job done. What an honor to Nana! She'd be very proud of you, Buddy.

20180415_0157.JPG

20180415_0159.JPG

Then we went home for a late lunch... We had a double-header today!
    20180415_0177.JPG

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  24. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Of course, the guy who calls himself CowboyTed has to comment on the proper footwear on your family! A fine-looking bunch!

Montana1 likes this.
  25. Thanks Cowboy Ted! Funny you would mention that. Our son is a Cowboy and trains quarter horses for competition, and he is named after his Great Grandfather, Ted, who was a Cowboy. :cool:

Now me, I'd rather ride something that burns gas! ;)

tractorguy, 47ragtop and oldsjoe like this.
  26. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Somebody cutting an onion around here? My eyes keep watering! Joe

Montana1 likes this.
  27. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Funny, I'm also named after an elderly cowboy Ted in my family. This old codger was my dad's favorite uncle Ted:

Aunt Kitty Uncle Ted.jpg

I'm surrounded by horses at my house, but they are really my wife's passion. I like to tease her about the fact that my cars and motorcycles only need to "eat" when I'm riding them. They're happy with a lot less pasture space too.

Sadly, I'm headed for a funeral in Wyoming this week, and I'll be seeing a whole bunch of Uncle Ted's descendants there. The man who died has some real cowboy bona fides too: He's a Stetson, a distant relative of the hatmakers. He married one of Uncle Ted's granddaughters, and fit right into our redneck family.

28. 392

Downright kickass. Memories is all we really have. You just made more. Nice ride also.

oldsjoe and Montana1 like this.
  29. Plus, you don't have to clean the barn either! :rolleyes::D

CowboyTed likes this.
  30. Some cool shots out the windows from the passenger seat...
    IMG_1726.JPG
    IMG_1769.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG
    IMG_1771.JPG
    IMG_1780.JPG