Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage We went up Pikes Peak in the Hot Rod today.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Montana1, Apr 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. This is kind of a long story, so to keep it more simple, I will let the pictures tell most of the story and use less words. However, there are a few words that need to be said to explain the situation...

<<< Back in October, the love of my life, and the wife of my youth, became very sick. On November 4th, 2017 she was diagnosed with cancer. A few weeks later, I asked her for a date. Could we take a ride up Pikes Peak in the Hot Rod after you are feeling better? It has been 10 years since we were up there, and she accepted.

A few more weeks went by and I reminded her of our date on Pikes Peak. She said she wasn't going to be able to keep it. I was broken... things didn't turn out like we had planned, and she went home to be with the Lord on January 4th, 2018. Fast forward...

Please bare with me, this is the first time I've been able to tell the story. Saturday (4-14-18), was her Birthday, and I wanted to keep my promise to take her up Pikes Peak again, but the highway was closed because of snow and 50 mph winds.

So, we watched the weather and Sunday was looking good. We loaded up the Hot Rod and the family and went up to Pikes Peak together. It was nice weather down here in the Springs, but cold up on top!

I'll upload some pictures and hope you enjoy the ride... :)

20180415_0006.JPG
    20180415_0009.JPG
    20180415_0029.JPG

Yes, there have been sightings of Bigfoot in the area. :eek:

20180415_0019.JPG
    You can see where I'm headed...

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Sorry for your loss. I'm she enjoyed the day :cool:

Montana1 likes this.
  3. So sorry for the loss of your lovely wife. I don't know how I could bear that.
    This run up the mountain is a big step in the healing process. May the Lord continue to comfort you and your family.

FWIW, my USAF son lives in the Springs. It's one my favorite places to visit. Hope to get out there in Sept for the hill climb.

4. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

A date in a Hot Rod in the mountain's now that's what I call cool! Sorry for your loss I'm sure your wife enjoyed the ride as much if not more than you did! God Bless enjoy. Joe

Montana1 and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I think that was a nice way to honor your wife. I'm sure the ride was bittersweet.

6. Ah, gee, Montana1, that was hard to read. But thanks for having the strength to make the run and write about it. I expect she was right there with you. Take care .

Ben

7. rgdavid

rgdavid

That was really the right thing to do,
    Its hard but dont stop that stuff,
    A little part of her energy is with you, take it wherever you go,

spurgeonforge and Montana1 like this.
  8. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Man, Tom, I am so sorry to here this. Jim

Montana1 likes this.
  9. That was a tough read. Keep leaning on the Lord.

10. thomas.parker197

thomas.parker197

I've been up that road many times. Sure sorry about your wife. Your story brought some tears.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55 and Montana1 like this.
  11. trollst

trollst

So sorry man, I hope she was with you. What a great way to honour her.

12. Very sad story indeed and it took a lot of courage to tell it. My condolences and best wishes for the future, your drive up the mountain was a heart warming start.

13. Thanks Jim, I'm planning a trip back east this summer. I'll be sure to stop by and see you guys at the cruise nite.

chryslerfan55 and gasmanm01 like this.
  14. Thanks guys for all the kind words. A bittersweet moment is the best explanation I can think of ever.

The hardest thing I ever did in my life, was to kiss each other good bye... :(

But, I know I'll see her again, and it may be real soon the way things are going in this world, if you know what I mean!

More pictures...

20180415_0041.JPG
    Our son and I stopping along the way for some pictures of the mountain behind me... The rest of the family had to ride in the van. :) Our youngest daughter and her family live in OH and couldn't make it out. :(

20180415_0069.JPG

Guard rails? What guard rails? :eek:

20180415_0055.JPG

The car ran real good today, I just had to stop about half way up and turn the idle up just a tad. This is about 10,000 feet.

20180415_0060.JPG This is where the snow began. o_O

T-roaster, TFoch, Latigo and 12 others like this.
  15. I know she's watching over your travels and happy your riding for her.Sorry for your loss and Godspeed.

Montana1 likes this.
  16. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Tough read.

Condolences to you and your family.

Rest in Peace.

17. Sorry for your loss. :(

18. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

You did it right. I lost my wife of 50 years and 24 days October 2, 2017. I have been going back over old paths and the memories are great. You know that she is always with you.

Offset, oldsjoe and Montana1 like this.
  19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't imagine your pain. Our deepest sympathies.

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Life is tough on the heart in so many ways...touching story and a difficult milestone...Condolences to the you and the family and friends on your loss of your one and only...

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for sharing with us such a personal story - your wife will always be with you, influencing everything that you do - one of which is to keep going for the little ones in your life that need you more than ever - one day at a time

22. 0nedon

0nedon

God be with you and your family, really cool trip and reason for it.

23. jim snow

jim snow

Sorry for your loss. We had a close call in 2014. I can't imagine your pain. I hope you were able to feel her smiling on you. Snowman

Montana1 likes this.
  24. catdad49

catdad49

Sorry about your Lady, but I'm pretty sure she was looking down on you that day. The healing process can take many forms and it's always better when family is around to lean on. Be Well and Best Wishes, Carp.

Montana1 likes this.
  25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sincerest and deepest condolences, M1...
    from the bottom of my heart.
    You too, Bill.
    It's hard.
    Having the support of good friends and family helps.
    Having strong faith helps.
    It's still hard.

Nobey, jim snow and Montana1 like this.
  26. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

I'm glad you got to complete the drive up Pike's Peak, though I sure wish your wife had been able to ride along.

I'm ashamed to admit that I live within sight of Pike's Peak, and yet I've never done the drive to the top. Given what it looks like from my office window, I'm surprised to hear that the road is open! There's still plenty of snow on the mountain today!

Attached Files:

Sparked and Montana1 like this.
  27. It snowed a couple of days ago and the wind has been blowing all week, but by Sunday they had it all cleared away and it was a good drive up and back.

20180415_0072.JPG
    The view was spectacular today! Our oldest daughter used to work on the Cog Railway as a tour guide and she said on a good day you could see the Denver airport from up here! But then, she knew what to look for. :cool:

20180415_0076.JPG

20180415_0079.JPG

The switchbacks made me think of the Race to the Clouds they have every summer up here. The videos they show on You-Tube of those guys and gals drifting around these hairpin curves, makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck! They say they average around 135 mph over the 15 or so mile race! :eek:

20180415_0077.JPG

Some of the grades are as much as 10%, but the ole' Hot Rod just chugged right up them in 2nd gear. ;) I think we are just past the tree line here.

20180415_0082.JPG

Offset, T-roaster, TFoch and 11 others like this.
  28. Great pictures and a nice story about how you completed the date. Sad that you could not have your wife alongside in person.

Montana1 likes this.
  29. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Tom, I'm sorry to read this. Your wife was a wonderful person.

Montana1 likes this.
  30. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

No words, thanks for sharing.

Montana1 likes this.