Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Painting intake silver

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 46international, Apr 16, 2018.

1. dont want to hijack
    can that heat riser be blocked off on a Y?

46international likes this.
  2. 55driver

55driver

A couple years ago I used silver exhaust manifold paint on my intake. I followed instructions and baked it in an oven I think 350 degrees for 45 minutes to cure the paint. Still looks good today!

3. upspirate

upspirate

I used this on my ot project .....it looked fine for my purpose instead of re-chroming. I used the titanium silver color.Holding up good out in the elements over wire brushed pitted chrome

4. If you're replacing the heat tube in the intake with the hopes of having a properly working automatic choke, you may be getting into one of those "good news" "bad news" situations. Just for starters, are you sure the crossover passage in the intake is free and clear?

The bad news is that since there's no heat riser valve on the engine anymore you're not going to have very much exhaust heat flowing from one side of the engine to the other. With less heat the choke adjustment is going to be a compromise that probably either doesn't provide enough choke for cold starting or a choke that opens too slowly or not fully when the engine warms up.

The good news is that with less heat in the exhaust crossover passage, whatever you paint it with is probably going to hold up longer. :D

5. kracker36

kracker36

I can ceramic coat it for you. Here is a 573 Edelbrock that I did as well as the velocity stacks.

6. kracker36

kracker36

Attached Files:

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That looks nice!

8. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

if you want to paint it silver...go ahead....don't matter what others think....it's your car

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Just polish up a heat shield.

[​IMG]

10. I think you can, in fact, I think they sell gaskets for the "restored" T bird guys that block the port off completely so they don't burn the paint off on the crossover tube. I don't know what that does to the auto choke and how well it will work.

anthony myrick likes this.
  11. I was thinking about that also but the choke does work, at least, good enough, the car has been on the road for over 5 years.

12. I use manual chokes
    Just wanted to make sure the crossover wasn’t necessary
    I think my dual quad intake may have it blocked.

13. Good point, the thing is that filter started out as just the stack .....then I thought it best to get a filter on it...then I changed to the '57 T bird intake and the '57 Holley carb that all sits a lot lower.....that made the radiator supports get in the way of the filter on top ..... so I had to make a spacer to clear the supports. So now I have what I have. I'm open to ideas.

14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Surprised to see that gman0046 hasn't dropped in yet to shit all over this thread. I suppose it's just a matter of time.

15. but I am a cheap hack that can't afford the aluminum one!
    All joking aside, you know that manifold was over $300 the way it is, I should have just bought a Mummert manifold.

16. Well in that case then, just keep on a-rollin'. :D And with the new heat tube the choke will probably even work a li'l bit better than before. ;)

17. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I Really dig your Tudor! But there is a saying less is more, That car doesn't need anything imo other than a period'ish air cleaner, I said caddy because.. well they are Kool, but used a Lot also.. This is one i have on a project of mine, Nicson a ol' marine application.. KIMG2265.JPG

18. squirrel

squirrel

Being worth so much, is a great reason to get it chrome plated. Think about it.

very traditional, too

:)

(I've never liked intake manifolds painted a different color than the rest of the engine, unless there's a good reason. But I like when the manifold is raw aluminum or chrome plated)