Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help needed on 1948 Cadillac Hydramatic Trans

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lobucrod, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I am needing to reseal a hydramatic trans in a 1948 Cadillac. I have the front and rear torus removed but can not get the rear tortus shell out to change the seal. I have the snap ring and thrust washers removed and the shell will move on the shaft just a little bit butt wont come all the way out. Is there something inside the trans holding it on that requires removal of the pan or side cover?

2. Deuces

Deuces

Speedo cable drive gear?????
    Taking a wild guess here...

3. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

There isn't anything else holding the shell to the trans at the point you are.
    Most likely the sealant ring has worn a groove in the ID of the hub that's preventing you from removing the shell.
    You may have to give the shell a really hard jerk to get it to come off.
    By the time you get the shell removed you may break the sealant ring.

Bill

4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Sounds like good info Bill. Makes perfect sense. Guess I better have a sealant ring available before getting any rougher with it.

5. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

If there is a groove in the ID of the hub of the shell can it be repaired or does it need to be replaced?

6. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

The torque converter company I use in Chicago, Dynamic Manufacturing has replaced hubs for me in the past.
    They have now been bought out and I don't know if there are any old timers there anymore.

I would check around to torque converter remanufactures in your area.

If they are not willing to replace the hub then the only option is to replace the shell with a good used one.

Some minor ring groove wear is acceptable. Sand it smoother so the ring wont grab the sharp edge when reinstalling.

Bill

7. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

When I was rebuilding my hydramatic the grove was too deep so I was lucky enough to find a good used one.

8. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Put the tranny back in the caddy today. Chose not to replace the front seal since I couldn’t get the Torus shell out. Al is wel so far with no leaks.