Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Can someone tell me what this is?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billsat, Apr 15, 2018.

1. billsat

billsat

I recently cleaned out my father's garage after he had passed away and found this device in his tool box. Dad was an old school Ford guy and life long car junkie. Whatever this thing is it has a very faint Ford script along its upper edge. Anyone know what it is, its age,etc?

Attached Files:

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. looks like a model T coil

Stogy and studebaker46 like this.
  3. Thats what she be.

4. 1909 -1927 Model T coil. HRP

5. verde742

verde742

6. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

7. billsat

billsat

My daughter helped me to post the pictures and as we hit the "go" button I told her and her boyfriend that I would have an answer in five minutes or less. It's hard being right all of the time!

8. It also works as an anti-theft device when installed in a Model T. ;)

6inarow likes this.
  9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

They are used to make flame throwers. That`s all I heard growing up when I was a kid.

10. billsat

billsat

That explains why my father would have had one. He had told me several times of trying to hook up a flame thrower on his 1950 Ford, and I was fairly certain that his father and grandfather never had a Model T, because they were Chrysler people.

czuch likes this.
  11. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

12. mountainman2

mountainman2

Can also be used as a redneck fishing accessory, so I have heard. :rolleyes:

13. anybody got a pic of the innerds?

14. Wall hanger.
    15 million "T"s built, four per car=60 million. Add to that, new and aftermarket replacements and I'm surprised the Earth isn't covered with them, one foot deep

15. They were used to spark all kinds of things. We used them on "hit and miss" gas engines. Probably get $10 for it at an antique tractor show...

16. BJR

BJR

In 1970 I had a 53 Ford beater. Drilled a hole in the tail pipe and screwed a spark plug into it. Model T coil in trunk, switch under dash to turn it on. Get the car cruising, turn the key off, pull out the choke, pump the gas, and turn on the switch under the dash. 3 feet of flame out of the tail pipe. Cheap fun for a 20 year old.

17. rusty valley

rusty valley

if the wooden case is in nice shape, and the main coil windings inside are not shot, they rebuild them. worth 5 bucks

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I knew what it was, mainly because my Barber has one on a shelf and he was showing it off one day. So naturally had to look it up* on Goolog and have wasted another perfectly good hour reading about the history of Ford Motor Company ignition products. Thanks a lot.

Interesting to note, there was one ignition coil per cylinder. Looks like we've come full circle in 100 years, so we got that goin' for us, which is nice.

* http://www.mtfca.com/coils/Coils.htm

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Power electric fence. I'm quite certain though, that none was ever used as a prank device on an outhouse toilet seat for example. Completely unpossible.

20. J D Coop

J D Coop

Model T coil wired to a switch under the dash. Bare copper wires laying across the back seat under the seat cover. Hit the switch and the back seat became a mini-electric chair. Pretty soon everybody got wise to it and grabbed the back of the front seat to get off the cushion. That's when we wired the back of the front seat as well.

21. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Carl La Fong, don't forget the Fordson tractors used them too, so yeah they should be everywhere.

22. You can routinely find them for 10 bucks unless you find one at an antique store where it may be described as a battery for 40 bucks.