Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical delete

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pufff, Oct 6, 2017.

1. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

I hope I can still drive when I'm his age. Neat guy, wish I were there to help out.

Pufff likes this.
  2. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My son had a 97 Chevy p/u with the nv 3500 trans and a cable actuated clutch from the factory. I drove it a couple of times and we didn't realize there was a cable until it failed at about 90,000 mi. Clutch feel was like any mech. linkage and based on that I would pick cable over hyd. JMHO

bchctybob and Pufff like this.
  3. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Pufff likes this.
  4. F&J

F&J

I am not on the main board at all anymore, (bored today..lol)...but I tried to read up on that 394 motor mods? Is that 394 balanced internally NOW? or not? I am thinking the Ross flywheel has to be for internal rebalanced only, and if that 394 rotating ass'y has not been rebalanced...it is simply not going to work.

If it is still a external balanced 394 and if you need a stock stick wheel, I might be able to help. I have one here, but I do know several different wheels were used on Stick 394's in different years, and also the 59-60-only newer style 371. I simply have no parts books or ways to Id the one that was saved for a 394 61 Olds project way back in the day. That owner has passed away, so....?? mine is most likely 394, as tony saw a pic of it, and id'ed it as 394, on hamb some years ago.

j-jock and Pufff like this.
  5. Good information, especially for me since I'm starting a similar build.
    Any updates?

Pufff likes this.
  6. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

Love the manifolds!

F&J and Pufff like this.
  7. i use a Bendtsen's flywheel and a King bellhousing. Never had a problem yet.

Pufff likes this.
  8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Just stumbled onto this. Thanks for all the pics, will be watching.

Pufff likes this.
  9. Sporty45

Sporty45

Can't believe I missed this build. Very cool! :cool:

Pufff likes this.
  10. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Cool build, clever guy. I thought my 348 was tight in my 40, that thing looks huge in there! Had similar clutch issues, thought about swapping the arm to the other side, but I wasn't confident enough to cut up the bellhousing, so managed to squeeze in a slave and fork on the drivers side with some pedal mods. I was hoping to keep it mechanical to avoid a hydraulic failure, but wasn't able to figure out how.
    Do you know what perch bolts he used on the front axle, and what kind of bolt he used to mount the shock to it? I;m looking at doing something similar on my 40 sedan. thanks

Pufff likes this.
  11. I love the project. In 1967, I put a 394 with the hydramatic into a 53 Merc, and can't believe how much room I had compared to this installation. The machining and fabricating he has done is inspiring.
    Even though I used a cable clutch release on all the dirt bikes I owned, I would not have thought of using the cable mechanism for the clutch in this case. I was thinking hydraulically actuated throwout bearing. I am going to file the information away for future reference.
    Nice project
    Bob

Pufff likes this.
  12. Nice to be able to follow along on his build, it's appreciated.

Pufff likes this.