Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 Ford Customline daily driver

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Shane Spencer, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Tails, rear signals and plate light are wired. Got some new front park light sockets on the way, mine were trashed. Also have the headlight relay on the way. Gonna start on some gauge and ignition stuff tomorrow. Does anyone know where the carb vacuum line runs? I think it went to the wipers? The manifold vaccuum source ran to the distributor but i cant remember where the carb line went

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Rob Jones

Rob Jones

3. Rob Jones

Rob Jones

The carb vacuum goes to the distributor this is especially critical if you are using stock carburetor and ignition. Manifold vacuum will be the source for your wipers. You may want to wire yours for electric wipers and cap and stow the wire as you probably won't like the vacuum wipers. This is what I did for my 52 Merc.
    Rob

4. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

Great Thread, super pictures. Love this body style, my high school car was a '53 Ford Mainline
    V8 3 speed on the column with overdrive. Had a second fuel tank in the trunk
    with the change over valve under the hood. Never used it, barely enough
    money for fuel for the main tank.
    Ernie

5. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks rob, i completely forgot how the vacuum lines were. I actually have an electric wiper motor that came with it so ill wire it up if i ever wanna use wipers

Thanks tbird!

6. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Slow updates guys, went to the lonestar roundup last weekend and had a blast.

I got the headlight relay in and my new front marker sockets in as well. Marker lights are in and wired, i un pinned the plugs to the headlights to route the wires cleanly and re pinned them after they were routed to the headlight housing. Couple questions. The wiring on these pluga vs the originals is different; ground hi and lo arent the same posts as the original. Seems weird but i guess ill just switch the wires around to match the originals

Next question, the plug that says “ to vehicles headlight socket” how am i wiring this ? I didnt get a female plug to wire up so i guess ill have to order one. Do both high beam wires go to one post, both lo beams to another and do i ground the other post? There was no diagram with the kit

577E48B3-4EDA-4140-B403-44EF6AC15659.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  7. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

One more newb question, the power source for my wiring harness, the headlight relay and anything else i may need, can i run those to the starter relay where the positive battery feed is? Id like to keep the wires for these things hidden instead of run up to the positive post on the battery

8. Rob Jones

Rob Jones

Yes, the side of the relay to the positive battery cable is where these wires go. The painless kits use a maxifuse for the main harness. I used one for mine as well. I got it from Summit. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...t7mSYQGP90BoZ2EPOJqw3DTuFGkFj16kaAmEuEALw_wcB
    Rob

JeffB2 likes this.
  9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Cool. Im gonna try to get the ignition and headlight switches sorted today along with some gauges. The lights are wired except for the “to headlight socket” plug on the relay diagram. Can anyone confirm if my thinking was correct on the previous post?

10. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

So heres my starter relay...

66C3CB52-5FFB-4CB5-9C4A-82AEDB0000DA.jpeg

So ill have + battery going to the left big post with harness power and headlight relay, right big post to the starter, left small post will be the ignition wire. What im confused about is the right small post. Does this run to the alternator ? From the pics i took of the old 12v conversion the previous owner did, looks like this wire went to the alternator, but i have a white alt exciter wire coming off of the harness? Where does the exciter wire go? Am i right in thinking the right post goes to the alt ? Heres a pic of the way it was wired before

2CBA6D94-BBD2-41E7-8AA3-6B9130FEB92A.jpeg

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  11. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

I like your car better.

12. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

DesertRat760 likes this.
  13. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Knocked out majority of the wiring. Coil and tach feed, harness power, ign switch and headlight switch ( there wired but im not 100% sure everything in the correct place, need to check a couple things) , sending units at the gauges, signal and hi beam indicators. I just ordered a new light socket for one of the dash lights and all new bulbs. I need to get the gauge power, ground and lights all daisy chained and those will be pretty much buttoned up. Still have to wire the dimmer switch and blower motor. The blower switch on the dash is 3 pole, from the original wire diagram it looks like 1 is power other 2 are low and high speed fan wires from the actual blower motor itself and the 3rd wire off the motor is ground. Also have a regulator for that fuel gauge on the way, thanks jeff

Can anyone verify that headlight relay plug ? Im pretty sure its hi beams, low beams and a ground but id like to be 100%. Also the small post off the starter relay. Thanks for all the help guys, i appreciate it

14. If it's an actual Ford-design solenoid, the two small terminals are 'start' and 'ignition' (identified with a S and I if marked); the S terminal (on the left as looking at it) connects to the start terminal at the ignition switch. The I terminal becomes energized when the solenoid operates and if used, supplies power to the ignition ballast resistor. If you don't have a ballast resistor, nothing should connect there.

The headlight harness is unclear; it appears to be designed to plug into an existing harness that has headlight sockets. If that's not the case here (no headlight sockets/wiring), two of the wires should go to your dimmer switch, the third wire is a ground.

I could add that if you have a good-condition OEM light switch, running #10 wire on a 30A fuse to the switch and then #12 from the switch to the headlights would eliminate the need for the relays, but very few harness suppliers furnish the right-sized wire​

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    54vicky likes this.
  15. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Im 99 percent sure i have the starter relay figured. The small right terminal ran to the small post on the starter. I found an old pic and also referenced the starter installation instructions. Also in the bottom pic of the relay before i tore it all apart, the small wire coming off of the large left post running down was run to the alternator

B172EC5C-BB14-4377-8E57-49DFE47A8A83.png
    7FFF7DFF-3BC4-490F-B857-31BC94FF58B6.png
    70650B81-8F08-4687-B393-671641CD0E69.jpeg

16. While that diagram will work, you could eliminate the small wire from the Ford solenoid to the starter by just using a short jumper or metal link from the B terminal to the S terminal at the starter. I don't know what the other wire with the diode is doing, that shouldn't be needed.

54vicky likes this.
  17. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Steve, the manufacturer of that starter said to never use a jumper wire on the starter. They said its a permanent magnet motor so it would cause feedback and damage the starter, not sure how true that holds but it worked when i had it wired like the diagram above. Also that little wire with the diode wasnt in there before i tore the car apart. No idea what that is

18. Whether or not it's a permanent-magnet motor shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference, so I don't understand what 'feedback' they're talking about. Either way is electrically identical...

54vicky likes this.
  19. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Yea my buddy said the same thing haha. I just wired it like the diagram, the relay is hidden pretty well so nothings really visible anyway

20. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I have the starter from DB electrical here is the diagram. Since the "I" terminal provides power with the key switch turned on I use it to power the HEI and electric choke.
    1firewall.JPG

21. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ignition switch seems to be ready to roll

The headlight switch, i have the park light, brake light, headlight and dash light terminal sorted, my tail light terminal doesnt seem to be working though. If i take the tail light wire and apply it to the brake light terminal, the tails and license plate lights all work, so i know there grounded properly, that tail light terminal just doesnt seem to work. Am i missing something?

Also the dimmer switch, i have a dimmer pwr wire going to the ignition switch, where does this go? And does anyone have a dimmer switch diagram? Theres 3 posts, right rear has two wires coming off it, from what i understand this is hi beam and hi beam indicator? Left rear has one wire, im assuming lo beam? And front center i would guess is power? Can anyone confirm? Also the high beam indicator ? I dont have a wire that runs to the dimmer for that but theres a dash light wire for the indicator, do the modern harnesses splice off of the hi beam power up stream instead of at the dimmer? Getting close guys!! Thanks for all the help

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  22. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I wired the dimmer switch like above, which i believe is right. It triggers the headlight relay and when i switch the dimmer it switches power to the hi and lo wires as it should, buttt i still have no headlights?

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  23. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I think maybe it's time to take things the EZ way order this https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Style-B...wSPBaYRmk:sc:USPSPriority!85037!US!-1&vxp=mtr and do what I did put the Ford knob on it and then your "GM friendly" harness will work,go back to my post#438 and look at the diagram as I pointed out a GM switch has two 12 volt power feeds the taillight feed from the fuse box powers only the taillights,the battery feed powers all the other light terminals in the switch.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  24. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Rebel wire is closed on the weekends, if this switch is fine and im just wiring it wrong, then ill fix it. Id rather re wire a few things instead of buying a new switch.

Jeff, how did you wire the headlight relays? I have the dimmer power going to the front terminal, high beam and low to the other two terminals on the dimmer switch. The headlight relay is triggering and my dimmer switch seems to be working and switching power between the two but i have no headlights still. Any ideas? The plug thats says “to vehicle headlight socket” in the diagram i have one terminal hi beam, one low, one ground, sane as the headlight plug itself.

Also does the coil wire run to the ignition switch go to the ign terminal on the switch?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  25. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The "I" terminal on the solenoid supplies 12 volt power to the the coil (in my case since I have a 302 with an HEI that is IGN power) when you turn the key switch on and off using a test light you will know for sure. Looks like the relay kit has two grounds, two relays and one plug that goes into only one old headlight socket which gets it's power from the dimmer switch. This is a Ford switch diagram compare it to the GM and maybe you'll "see the light" (pun) 1firewall.JPG

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  26. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Cool ill test the ignition switch tomorrow. Im hoping to get it fired tomorrow. Currently i have 3 grounds on the headlight relay, one at each headlight bucket and one from the socket that gets power from the dimmer. Is that wired right?

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  27. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

1954 Ford wiring diagram.
    1firewall.JPG

28. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Sounds right,I wish Rebel would post a diagram for the Ford headlight switch a lot of 1952-59 Ford members used that 9+3 kit and this comes up a lot.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  29. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I sent them a "Contact" email hopefully they can send me a diagram on the headlight switch I can post in the "Sticky FAQ" file.

30. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Cool man, also it didnt even cross my mind but i dont have a brake light switch wired yet, power for the tails probably runs through that doesnt it ?