Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's a Latham supercharger worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Van Dyke, Oct 12, 2008.

1. macracing

macracing
    from Kokomo, IN

Mine is #1128. I was told when I bought it in 1960 that it was the 28th one made. I believe the information was correct. That would indicate that Latham started the numbering at 1100.

ROSEWOOD likes this.
  2. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Thanks Mac..Any idea on a belt replacement? No./width/ length? That's the only thing missing. Bill

3. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

OJ..Would you have any installation lit. from the factory? Be happy to pay you for copies. Bill

4. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Well..am taking the latham apart..The base manifold has a GM #3748947. Can't find any reference to that #. Too old I guess. The blower case attaches to the Latham portion of the manifold with 4 studs. Can't see any provision for stabilizing the front of the case laterally. Everything looks in great shape. Sure doesn't look like much use. Tough time getting the brass fittings out of the alum. manifold after 40 years! Any ideas there? Also if any one has any literature on installation I would be happy to pay mailing costs for copies. Tomorrow I'll post some pics of the pieces.

5. 61bone

61bone

Why do you suppose they quite building the worthless pieces of

6. JAWS

JAWS

Bill them YH's are kinda tricky and will leak on ya and not from the gaskets or fittings, and gas will run out of the throats. There are some tricks to the accell pumps and such. Good carbs though. I got a dvd/cd got all the setup info if you need it.

Brant

7. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Thanks Brant..I'll PM you.

8. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

"Why do you suppose they quite building the worthless pieces of" That was helpful 61bone thanks.
    <!-- / message -->

9. 61bone

61bone

Just telling him don't plan on making any power or having any kind of reliability from it. Plan on hard starting, lousy throttle response, belt on a regular basis. Why do you suppose that there are so many around in like new condition for sale? They were tried and found severly wanting. Been there done that. Lot of zizbang, nothing else. Save your money.

10. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Heres a few pics as the "rebuild" moves along. The bottom manifold is a mid 50's Corvette fuel inj. and the top 2 appear to be Latham. Came with a neat early Moon fuel block also. Thanks to all you guys for the input. special thanks to movin/on for the lit.

Attached Files:

11. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

congrats ! .. theres one guy out here in Pa that has one on his sedan took a few shots of it since it was the first time i ever seen this charger pretty neat

Attached Files:

12. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Yeah, I've never seen a fast car with a Latham either but they sure look and sound neat and that is fun in it's own right. I'm really curious to know what my old Y-block would do with that blower on it. I never got to run that car but I had about $9500 in that 312 motor with the blower on it. It SHOULD be fast. I'd hate to think that five years later that car still hasn't seen the road but I've not seen or heard a word about it since it went to the last owner.

13. I'm sending Bill copies of 23 pages of Original Latham sales literature I received in 1975 including a Hot Rod Mag 8 page spread of it's testing in 1956. My literature includes a picture of a 6 carb log attachment with provisions for 3 97's on each side. Also there are statements of 4 YH's and 1 downdraft for a 5 carb setup. He's also getting a complete pricesheet from 1959 & 1965. Rod & custom sheets & some US Navy test graphs. My scanner is on the fritz so i'll scan & post to this thread when I figure out the Microsoft updates for a multi-function HP device. (XP Vista 2000 and on and on....). Also I found out that MEL's and FE's and some other large CI Latham applications were 12 stage & not the normal 11 stage like most available.

One of the spec sheets shows a blower RPM of 33,000. and that's no typo

Movin/on

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
    ROSEWOOD likes this.
  14. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

A lot of trouble..............and damn little horsepower.......that's what it's worth

15. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

That's what I used to tell people when they asked about all my flathead powered cars! It's not about power, at least for me, it's about running something unique. Different strokes I guess..

16. Here is one paged scanned from Latham Sales Literature I've got. The article came from October 1958 Rod & Custom.

I've been asked to show what the 6 carb Log setup looked like.

Attached Files:

17. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

seems to be a lot of flexibility with this thing. i suppose you could even use gilmer or double V belt pullys also.

18. alsancle

alsancle

I've never seen one with the downdrafts. From the article it seems the thing actually works.

19. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just had one of these show up at my front door last week - I think it's the one that was on ebay last month - the customer wants me to configure it for a Flathead, which includes fabricating some kind of adapters for four Stromberg 81's to take the place of the sidedrafts. That, in itself won't be a huge deal, but I'm wondering if anyone's seen this done before. Any tips or words of wisdom out there?

20. JAWS

JAWS

Bill you should see that cd soon.

21. I'd like to get anyone that has a Latham or knows of one to PM me with the serial # and Model # & number of stages (Large rings) & i'll in turn provide a list of all relevant info, like model# application and copies of my literature. If the number get's too large I'll scan the pages I have. Also I'd like to get any photos & articles of Latham info.So please PM me with info you have about them I've only had 2 but my first was in 1975 & I traded that for my current 12 stage.

I'll PM Bill about logistic's if he's open to helping me. NO PRESSURE!!!!!

Movin/on

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  22. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

23. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Glad to help! Let me know.

24. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

If you search HAMB under Latham Supercharger I think I saw a pic of one on a flathead.

25. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Note the v belt pulley
    [​IMG]

26. 61bone

61bone

Spent six weeks making it fit . Ran it for three months and took it off.

Attached Files:

27. Spent six weeks making it fit . Ran it for three months and took it off.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG]
    </FIELDSET>
    So where is it now?

Movin/on

28. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Sound pretty frustrated..What was the problem?..Looks like you did a very nice job on the installation.

29. Bill there is one now on E-bay in Michigan & the seller is asking $4500. SBC but not the correct "manifooled". I'm thinking they are still only worth about $2500 for a complete setup. Supercharger only $1100 manifold $500-800. Accessories $500.

I found a Y-block marine manifold with 2 rebuilt YH's for $175 here in town so thats another find. Carbs & linkage.

I posted this also on the registry thread.

I'm getting more responses as people see them. Suprizing that there are quite a few owners that have 2 of them.

I'm currently side tracked on woodworking projects & a hotrod job for a friend but sloooowly it's comming together.
    I'm getting the excel file for the registry finalized. I'm going to put the state the owner is in with a code and only registered owners will have the cross reference of code to Name & E-Mail address. I'll have an album of pictures that will have controlled access.
    Movin/on

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  30. ROSEWOOD

ROSEWOOD

Yes I have a laythan model 11B serial number 005924 carb set up to crank pulleys I would like to register it and find out what it's worth thank you