Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ECTA Landspeed racing this weekend

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Choppedcoupe, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

ECTA Arkansas Mile is this weekend at Blytheville, Arkansas at the old bomber base. Come watch Bonneville-like racing. Bring your hot rod to learn the rules and enter the June race.

Stogy, Floater03 and jim32 like this.
  2. noboD

noboD

Please post some pictures.

Floater03 likes this.
  3. khead47

khead47

Please report if there are provisions for overnight motorhome parking. Thanks.

4. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

There are motor homes parked outside the gate. I don’t think there are any hook ups. Friday racing was not conducted due to high winds. There are 94 entries; the event has capacity for 150. Come join us. Gates open at 0700, Rookie briefing is at 0730, racing commenced at 0800, weather permitting.

Stogy likes this.
  5. khead47

khead47

^^^^^^^^^^ Thanks. Do not need hookups.

6. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Raining and windy this AM

7. Thanks for posting, I'm originally from there and knew nothing about it.

8. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

Great day today at ECTA. We are driving my LS-swapped S10 pickup. Whit, my co-driver made his 125mph licensing pass at 121.7mph, short shifting at about 4500rpm since it is my truck. I ran the truck up to 134mph, then braked to 114mph going through the traps. We only got those two passes due to weather, but we hope to get another pass each tomorrow at 135-ish. I did learn that a NV3500 5 spd does not shift at 6000rpm. Lots of brilliant fabricators here-the cars and ingenuity are simply amazing.

9. khead47

khead47

I wrote to the Blytheville chamber of commerce two months ago to ask if they knew where I could park my motorhome for the trials. Even gave them my email. No response. Guess us hoodlums are not welcome !

10. sproadster30

sproadster30
    from Natick, Ma

Any HAMB friendly cars racing? Any pics yet? Sounds like it could be really cool.

11. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

No TROG-like cars are present or racing. There’s still a rule book modeled after the SCTA. There is a beautiful 32Ford bodied F/Gas Roadster car powered by a Mercedes DOC 6-cylinder. A couple t-bodied extended And an early F-bodied Mustang with a turbo charged flathead. And a chopped Hudson coupe with a Hudson straight 6. And a 53 Studabaker with a 500 Caddy motor. One of the officials has a sweet 36 Ford chopped flamed 2-dr sedan. And another person has a 37 Chevy sedan street rod. This is the first event for the new organizers. I think if you wanted to come and bring a self-contained RV and park it outside the gate at night, you’d be fine. Just empty the sumps when you get home. No rain today, but wind delays. My crew chief ran 133mph in my truck this morning with the truck flat-footing it thru the timers with the mirrors folded in. We’ve taken off the tailgate and pulled the drivers floor mat out in case the gas pedal isn’t going to the floor. Just waiting on the wind before calling it a day.

swade41 likes this.
  12. I'd love to watch this, what is the length of the course ?

13. lake_harley

lake_harley

A friend of mine looked it up on our way to a local Experimental Aircraft Association chapter meeting today. If the info he found is correct, the total runway length is something like 11,600' long, just a bit over 2 miles. It also sounded like it's still an active airport but was closed to aviation for the duration of the event. Is that correct? A Google satellite view of the airport looked like "X"s painted on the runway so I figured the airport was officially closed.....maybe just not an up-to-date photo?

Lynn

14. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

1-mile with 1-mile of shutdown room. Very smooth. Watch-hell(!)-enter and set a record! Rule book is on line at ecta-lsr.net or .com

ECTA landspeed is hot rodding in its purest form. Almost every car is hand built at home and driven by the owner/builder. So much quality work, you could spend weeks studying each of these cars. And the participants are SO nice and cheer each other on. You won’t find a nicer bunch of folks anywhere.

My crew chief is now a landspeed track record holder in the C/MMP class at 133mph. He’s probably the only hot rod fab shop owner in north Alabama that can claim an current landspeed record on his resume’. The record won’t stand for long, but the certificate on his wall will last for ever. So will the smile on my face.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

congrats on your runs - need pics and details of race track, even if you can not post pics of OT race cars/trucks

16. Plan to be there in June !!

17. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

According to the local ReMax office, the property is for sale.... Runway and taxi ways are X ed out and pictures shoe what looked like abandoned vehicles in several places along centerlines of paved areas.

18. lake_harley

lake_harley

I looked for the listing on the airport but couldn't find anything. But, if you found a listing out of curiosity what's an 11,600' runway length airport going for these days? Might be a good time to clean the change out from under the cushions on the couch? :)

Lynn

19. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

If you have the funds to buy 2-miles of concrete, I’d sure appreciate it if you chipped in and bought it! Some of the taxi ways are really rough, but the runway racing surface is great and so is the return track. Now, if you could just control the wind and rain, we’d be in business. Seriously, come out and run if you can find a class to run in. And if not, prowl the pits looking at the workmanship and innovation. And watch a while from the starting lines and then the finish line. Cars going 200mph look like they are standing still from a distance, but they sound amazing. Bring binoculars and all your friends. We need more southerners racing since the track moved from Ohio to Arkansas. Most of the current fiend is from Canada and the mid-west.

20. BENT VALVE

BENT VALVE

21. khead47

khead47

Been to Bonnie, Maxton, Wilmington, and Loring. I am a LSR Junkie. Gonna head up to Maine for the Harvest event for sure. If possible will head to AR. in June. Thanks for the updates !

22. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

I forgot to mention that my co-driver got to make his first run with a Hot Rod Magazine GoPro on board!