Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I have a 63 monterey want to convert to disk brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63 breezeway, Apr 14, 2018.

1. 63 breezeway

63 breezeway

1963 mercury Monterrey and I want to put disk brakes on the front. Anyone know what years and models I could use that would work?

2. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Get a 67_68 Mustang MC AND THERE Are many kits on the market!

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  3. 63unibodyfan

63unibodyfan

Stainless steel brake company may sell a conversion kit , just did one on my bosses 64 marauder used full size ford galaxie kit . Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

If you want oem stuff that way you can buy replacement parts at local parts stores and cheaper than after market parts.

1: look up your upper and lower ball joints and write down the part numbers.

2: most online suppliers, napa, O'Reilly etc allow you to see a application list showing what other cars use the same ball joints. Find a disc brake car on the list.

3: check the tie rods, do basically the same as above but be sure that the tie rods on in the same location as in behind or in front of cross member.

Most tie rods are 7 degree taper so even if they carry different part numbers as long as taper and diameter of tie rod stud is the same you are good to go.

Once you find spindles that fit you can pretty much use all the original oem disc brake parts to convert. Brake lines, hoses, brackets etc and even the master cylinder in most cases.

I hate using aftermarket parts like brakes, arms etc. I don't like breaking down and waiting days for parts and paying for them.

I bet you will find several donor cars to get spindles from.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  6. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

Classic Services has a super complete kit, reasonably priced,and their customer service is top notch. It's built off oem 67 mustang parts and I couldn't source them separately for what it costs--it's a true bolt in, no machining needed. Plus lines, bearings, etc are all included too. When I ordered mine for the 63 Fairlane, I received a call from the owner within about 15 minutes verifying car, fitment, etc.
    http://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang Disc Brake Conversion Kits CATALOG.html

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  7. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

77/78 T-bird complete front spindles [it works on the same year Galaxies]

8. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I like the way you think.

9. If I had to do another on my Ford, I would go Scarebird. I bought a kit elsewhere that involved a shit-ton of dicking around with. Wilwood has kits for around $600, but appear to be real nice. Their kits do not include the master, lines, hardware, etc. I have about $700 in mine, soup to nuts.