Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help identify this old coil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bungy, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Bungy

Bungy
    from Minnesota

Found this old ignition coil in the JY today. It looks pretty cool, so I had to grab it. Couldn't beat the $5 price. It was bolted to a 64 T-bird witha 390 so I'm sure it's 12 volt. Also I can make out JUD then 2 letters and a N on the sticker. So I'm thinking JUDSON or JUDSEN. The terminal end says BAT and DIST as well as MADE IN USA.
    Can anyone tell me who made this, what years it was made, or any other info? (check out the pics below)
    Thanx, Bungy

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd357/sbungy/001-2.jpg
    http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd357/sbungy/002-1.jpg
    http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd357/sbungy/003-1.jpg

2. rld14

rld14

I think those were called "Judson Electro Magneto" coils. I swear I've seen them mentioned before during one of my archive digging searches.

3. F&J

F&J

I didn't look at the pic, but if it has finned aluminum on part of it, with black bakelite, it is Judson from Pennsylvania. The Judson bros started off doing speed parts for Flathead V8s way back.

..then they were best known for their popular vane type superchargers for lots of smaller engines, VW being the most popular, but MG, Healy, Corvair, etc..

Their coils are popular with the VW crowd.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Bungy it looks like a combination coil and electronic ignition. One of the components on the heat sink is a transistor.

Definitely a cool early accessory and should boost your ignition a bit as well.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

6. BigJim394

BigJim394

Guys building late 60s / early 70s "period correct" hot rod volkswagens like them and will pay decent money for them. Judson would have them in their ads foir the Supercharger kits they made for VWs. Pretty good coil in its time.

7. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Its a Judson Magneto Coil...you see them advertised in 60s Hot Rod magazines and later into the early 70s...they are just a normal coil in that you dont need a special ignition system to run it...here's a pic of mine so you can see the whole decal...

Attached Files:

8. Bodger45

Bodger45

My grandfather used to sell them. I still have a few water transfer decals.

9. Bungy

Bungy
    from Minnesota

Thanks everybody for the replys. I guess it's not quite as old as I thought, but I still think it would look pretty cool screwed to the firewall of my 32 Chevy.

10. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

11. Muttley

Muttley

Here's a couple from my stash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have several of those coils. Used them in my Bonneville car. Workrd for me.

13. desotot

desotot

with a transistor it must be a CDI set up.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

If I saw that on a shelf by itself in some garage I don't think I would even recognize it as a car part. Looks like part of my washing machine.

15. titus

titus

Yep, a judson coil, they are really good, its keeps the voltage in the coil and away from the points basically.

I put one on Bulls A tudor.

I think they came around in the early early 60s, they fit right onto the facotry ford flathead coil bracket.

jeff

Attached Files:

16. Bodger45

Bodger45

I used to stick those two decals on everything when I was a kid.

17. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Nope, not CD...just "transistorized".
    The transistor was in the circuit,
    merely as part of the triggering
    system. It allowed most of the
    current going to the ignition
    coil to bypass the points, thus
    extending their life.

Mart3406
    ==============

18. unkamort

unkamort

Love those things!I have one on my sport car triggered by a Honda distributor, ran it for years like that and never had a problem. It put out 20Kv as I recall.
    Tomorrows trick will be to see if I can make a Duraspark do the same job in the truck. Any thought or notions on this idea?

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Duraspark sucks. I used a Ford thick film ignition module on a points ignition and was happy about the whole thing. Used the matching coil. Throws a wicked spark, parts available at any parts store. Lots of guys have done it, I found the instructions with a quick Google search.

Look for a module on an aluminum heat sink, not the one on the distributor. Found on Aerostar vans, Tbird, Cougar, Impulse mounted on the rad support. Take the plug and wires as well as the coil.

The ones on the distributor sometimes fail due to heat so use the one with the heat sink if possible and mount in a cool place.

20. seamus43

seamus43

MAY HAVE JUDSON DECALS!! HOW MUCH ?? 585-755-9896 SEAMUS