Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Three on the Tree Bushing Replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Woody's Hot Rods, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Woody's Hot Rods

Woody's Hot Rods

I picked up a 63 Bel Air wagon with a 3 speed on the column. I took it for a drive and got it stuck in first. I limped it home and got it unstuck. I am going to adjust the column so it doesn't do that anymore but, while I'm in there, I want to replace the bushings for the shift rod levers. I can't find them listed anywhere. What is everyone using? Truck bushings? Tri Five bushings?

Before anyone suggests it, I don't want to swap it out for a Hurst on the floor. :)

Thanks in advance!

Woody

bobwop likes this.
  2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

thank you for posing this question

Woody's Hot Rods likes this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I replaced the shifter bushings on the arms on the steering column in my '51 Ford. Luckily the bushings were easy to find. I got a set I found on eBay, and they worked well. They were pretty simple, made of rubber and brass. Take a look at them; they look pretty generic.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  4. Woody's Hot Rods

Woody's Hot Rods

Thank you, Tubman. I will look into those.

Also, here is a picture for reference that I pulled from the interwebs of where the bushings are located.

Column.PNG

5. Send me a PM with your email. I have some for later model GM that might help. Worth a try.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A local 'dipstick' has a '55 Ford club sedan, nice Yblock car. He made up some "bulletproof" 5/16" cold rolled shift rods with heim ends.
    Telegraphing from tranny on up through the shift mast transmitted the Tappet Orchestra, accompanied by the Sopranic melody of Ratio Whine... Shifting gears transposed one to a Night at the Three-Penny-Opera!

Cosmo49, Bandit Billy and bobss396 like this.
  7. Woody's Hot Rods

Woody's Hot Rods

Oh to be that talented!

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know about the heim ends; not enough "give" in them for this purpose in my opinion.

9. GM used to have kits to replace bushings and generally refit the steering column. The last one I saw was on a '69 Chevy truck my brother dove into. After he was done, it shifted like it was new. But it would do the same thing, hang up in whatever gear it felt was appropriate.

For example.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-1957-CHEVY-SHIFT-LINKAGE-BUSHING-and-HARDWARE-KIT-STANDARD-SHIFT-new-/131049258263?fits=Make:Chevrolet

Or
    https://www.lategreatchevy.com/full...bber-bushing-with-metal-sleeve-1958-1964.html

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  10. Woody's Hot Rods

Woody's Hot Rods

I looked at that kit. Just curious if the diameter of the bushings are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Woody's Hot Rods

Woody's Hot Rods

OK. Member Booboo referred me to Eckler's Late Great Chevy and I think I found what I need. I know I went on that site but must have overlooked them. I'm slipping. Thank you to those who offered advise.

Bushings.PNG

bobwop likes this.
  12. If the new bushings don't completely fix the problem, remember to also check for wear on the 1st-reversse and 2nd-3rd shift levers at the bottom of the column. And up at the top of the column it wasn't unusual for the shift lever housing (shift bowl) to be worn or broken. This was most noticeable when pulling back the shift lever through the neutral gate. The damaged shift bowl would wallow around loosely but not actually transfer enough motion through the shift tube to select between the 1st-rev or 2nd-3rd levers at the bottom of the column.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  13. Woody's Hot Rods

Woody's Hot Rods

I will definitely check that. Thanks for the heads up.

14. I recall the column kit having a lot of parts in it. The shifter kit is just a small part of it. Anything from 1958 to 1964 is usually the same on Chevys.

15. Woody's Hot Rods

Woody's Hot Rods

Thanks. I will look into that too.

16. The body mounts to the frame are all solid too? I know the old trucks would rot and settle a little changing the geometry between transmission and steering column a little...binding things up.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  17. By the way., Post a pic of the wagon.

18. Woody's Hot Rods

Woody's Hot Rods

Good point. I will check that.

19. Woody's Hot Rods

Woody's Hot Rods

Chavezk21 and 283john like this.
  20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

283John's right. Now that I think about it, the 'settling' and flattening of body mounts did result in 'shift rod elephantosis', I think the term was. A simple adjustment took care of it.
    Seriously, do you guys remember the '58-'63 Chevy 3 speed cars making a heavy 'ratcheting noise' when accelerating in low gear? Not musical, so nix that. Noise was from worn selectors, ('forks') and made for very sloppy linkage. Do check that, was a pink-sheeted spot on warranties.

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My goodness, this wagon is stunning! Pure taste, just right.

22. That is nice.

23. rmorris

rmorris

I had problems with my 55 chevy, 3 on the tree. I had to carry a hammer to give it some gentle persuasions. I rebuilt everything , but still would occasionally have hang up problems. My cure was a new Hurst floor shifter. Problem solved

24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

springs need to be replaced, too. They are sagging severly

25. Woody's Hot Rods

Woody's Hot Rods

[​IMG]

Fixed.

bobwop likes this.
  26. manyolcars

manyolcars

I've always wondered if a hard plastic bushing would be better

27. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

TRy Napa. They had rubber bushing for my 72 Chev truck that did the same thing

28. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I had to replace those on my 46 Coupe. Got some from chevsofthe40s.com. They have some items that will work on later models also. the ones for my 45 do not look the same as those you pictured but is a cheap fix either way.
    Got in a bind before I ordered those and made one out of a stainless nut with bolt size the same diameter as the rod. Just drilled out the threads and ground the outside of the nut round. Worked fine.
    When either of these bushing is worn out or missing it will definitely get stuck in gear & or be hard to shift. Something to check when you fix these is to adjust the 2 shift rods with lever in neutral to where the two arms are parallel to each other. That really helps.
    Also something I figured out is sometimes my shift arms would get stuck in high gear and just would not come out. This was after the bushing were replaced and arms adjusted. Found problem to be just lots of wear inside tranny and the high gear just would not move good on the shaft. If I could get the car rolling just a couple of MPH with clutch in it would then shift back into neutral. not long ago I replaced the worn out 3 on the tree with an automatic and found out nearly all my tranny problems were caused by a worn out front shaft bearing letting everything inside have bad movement and slack. Bout all the guts were worn.
    Good luck, Jimmie

29. Woody's Hot Rods

Woody's Hot Rods

Thanks, Jimmie. My plan is to fix it good enough to get through summer and swap out for a V8 Automatic.

30. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

I realize this is an old thread but this may help after you get the new bushings in .... adjusting the shifter

Oldog