Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 110V mig welder w/gas what's your vote ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kyotb8, Apr 13, 2018.

1. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I’m blue through and through and as everyone has said Hobart is owned by Miller now and is a great machine. It seems the Miller has more bells and whistles an the Hobart is just the basics which is fine. I’ve put down some really nice welds with a friends Hobart. In my experience Millers customer support was always awesome but I heard they were stopping the phone line support. I’d be curious if anyone else has heard that. I’m not sure of the currant offerings but the inverter welders will definitely weld heaver material with less input. I have a Millermatic 211 that is rated to weld 1/4” at 110 volts and it does it pretty well. And come to think of it if your willing to spend the extra money on a duel voltage machine then you’ll have the capability of welding thicker material if you ever decide to put in a 220 outlet.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

3. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

My mig is a Miller I wouldn't trade it for any other brand

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bought a 220v Hobart because it was little less $$ 10 yrs ago. Blend gas only. I only had some stick experience and a lot of oxy/act experience. Built and repair a circle track car with my son. The more we use it the better we get.

5. Terraizer

Terraizer

Have had my HTP mig for over 20 years with no problems

6. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

For me, always! Lol

Jrs50 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Lincoln SP-100 unit. It has been bullet proof. I did replace the gun and lead about 12 yrs ago. I also have a Miller 211 machine 220v

8. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

9. Like seaair354, I'm blue through and through but if you are short funds consider the 135V Eastwood 110 machine. Smaller Tweco type torch. It is an affordable workhorse and Eastwood supports there welders about 300 bucks and a bottle for another 100..with a 3 year war.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and SEAAIRE354 like this.
  10. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I agree with that. My brother is law has east wood tig and plasma units and loves them especially for the price. I would go that direction before a Harbor Freight machine especially considering the support they offer.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I've had a HOBART HANDLER 140 FOR 12 YEARS .NO PROBLEMS EVER.WELDS GREAT!

12. I like the red one (Lincoln). SP125 has been a work horse, as has been my 255.
    Red or blue, they’re all good machines. Pick the brand that has a good dealer/service nearby and enjoy your machine

13. What brand can you get parts for *locally* on a weekend ?
    That's the brand you should get.

falconsprint63 likes this.
  14. I’ve got all Miller in my shop, mig and tig. The mig is really old and never missed a beat. My tig is a couple years old and not a single issue. I have 90% Miller at work but I do have one Lincoln mig and an otc. All of them work great. Honestly, red or blue doesn’t really matter. I’ve spent a couple of weeks at Lincoln electric this year and I can’t believe how amazing that place is.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Love;
    • Lincoln 110 wire feed on flux wire for building stuff like fence
    • Lincoln 110 wire feed on gas & 0.23 wire for car work
    • Lincoln 220 stick buzz box for serious thick steel work
    • Oxy/Acetylene for brazing, welding header tubing, etc.
    • Have HF TIG that only used once to weld stainless on Mysterion frame. Jury still out on whether I can get good at it and if I like it.
    • LOVE my HF plasma cutter. Greatest invention since Snickers bars!

16. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

On the miller/hobart band wagon. When I was fabricating heavy stuff I used to tack it up with a little Miller 110, and run it over tp a Bud who would weld up what I needed with his 220 Miller. Worked well for me, since then I have up graded to my own 220 Miller, but still like the little guy for welding sheet metal/body work. Bill

17. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

Miller 130 rocks for light duty work. I purchased a Lincoln 180 last year for the heavier stuff...but IMHO it is light years behind the Miller's performance.

18. fordor

fordor
    from Finland

I vote for Kemppi

19. Squablow

Squablow

I too have a lincoln sp100 and love it. There's also a "weld-pac" 100 but it doesn't have the infinitely variable settings like the SP.

There's not much you can't do on a car build with a good 110 mig. I think a lot of the guys who insist on a 220 aren't doing due diligence with prep work and use the extra power as a crutch. Seems like many on this thread have had great results with good quality 110 machines like i have. 30 amp breaker is a good idea though.

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Miller, Lincoln or Hobart won't get you laughed out of the welding supply store when you need repairs or parts. One local welding supply sells miller, the other one sells Lincoln and the farm and ranch store sells Hobart. Hobart is normally marketed through farm and ranch supply stores though and that gives them their own market.
    I had the cash saved waiting for a Hobart 140 to come on sale at the local outlet when my Lincoln 175 came up on Craigslist for a price I couldn't turn down and my son thought I had bought a new out of the box welder when he saw and tried it.
    As far as Lincoln or Miller it may depend on which local welding supply you like to go to as much as blue or red. Even for a 110 machine having the service guy at the welding supply know you bought the machine there is worth a couple of points in your favor when it comes to getting service on the machine.

I'd agree on the wire you buy for it. I usually buy 10 lb spools from the same place I get my gas for the welder and my torch from. They usually ask what I plan to do with it and sell me the one that they believe will suit my needs the best.

21. siouxindian

siouxindian

built a 1950 2 door mercury with a century welder.but i like Lincoln a little bit better.

22. zzford

zzford

Me too. That's why I need help when I need to take a leak.

23. I have the Miller 220, love it can run 110 or 220. I have also owned a Lincoln 110 both are quality. Cant speak for Hobart

24. Slopok

Slopok

I can't believe only one guy has an HTP, thought they were a very popular machine.o_O

25. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Had a flux core lincoln for better than a decade. Served me well. I got good with it. Upgraded to a miller 211 dual a couple years back. It welds light years better--not because it's blue but because of the addition of gas. Buy a goos quality unit and you can't go wrong. I like the dual for the 220 capabilities. Works anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. :rolleyes:

B en

27. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Hobart 140 but if you can pay double, buy the Miller 211 or 215.
    All are great machines.

28. finn

finn

Another HTP here. Mine is pushing 35 years old and has been flawless. I bought it shortly after Jeff opened the company. I think it was his first 120v prototype, so he made me a great deal.

I prefer it over my 240v Miller. Much smoother and easier to weld sheet metal with the HTP.

I also have a TIG setup from HTP.