Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1946 Dodge truck build & adventure

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by exline, Apr 10, 2018.

1. exline

exline
    from PA

I picked up this 46 Dodge about 5 years ago for cheap. It has sat waiting for me to find the time and money to build a hot rod out of it. I was looking at it last weekend and thought it almost looks like it would run. Then i thought at least if it ran i could drive it until i got around to building it into a hot rod. So i got the tractor and pulled it into the garage.
    It has a 218 6 cylinder. The last owner said it ran back in the late 90's. Everything is there and its not locked up. I figure there is not much to lose by trying to get it running again.
    The body is a little rough but i have fixed worse. Some one welded the fenders to the grille for some reason. The doors still work and latch. First thing it trying the starter and see if it cranks.
    My goal for now is get it running and take a road trip. 20180408_072610.jpg 20180408_074249.jpg 20180408_074154.jpg 20180410_174952.jpg

2. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

love it, like to follow along.

knifefighter likes this.
  3. 41 C28

41 C28

Please keep us posted.

4. My favorite Dodge pickup! I'd love to build one of those. I'd keep it a flatbed too. It's not popular to say [here] but I think I'd buy a rusty 5 lug Dakota as a donor and use everything but the sheetmetal.....
    cool trucks. I love the styling of the front ends.

classiccarjack and 41 C28 like this.

5. exline

exline
    from PA

For now its going to stay a flatbed on the original frame. I just want to get it running. Who knows about later on. I like chopped and lowered normally.
    I got it up on jack stands and looked it over. The odometer has just over 60,000 on it. I dont know how many miles these old flat heads would normally run. I pulled the 6v battery out of my old john deere and put it in the truck. I tried the starter and it didnt work. So i pulled the starter off and tore it apart. It was mostly dirt and a little rust. I cleaned everything up and put it back together. I bolted it back in the truck and it worked great the first try!
    Now what are the chances i will have spark?

Attached Files:

6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

You should check out 39-47Dodgetrucks on Yahoo. That's what they are all about.

exline likes this.
  7. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

I'm doing a 46 dodge also,about done.waiting for my wheels right now.was going to do a thread on it but I used off topic running gear and didn't want to get crucified on here about it.

8. ...I like those, we call em "frog-eye" Dodges,...yours looks to have non-stock headlites, to me anyway,...I like the 39-40's as the headlites sit down in the fender valley instead of on the crown...but all are cool, good luck with it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    exline likes this.
  9. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'm doing a 39 Dodge pickup, but its way off topic for here, too modern of a frame, too modern of a drive train, and fender less with independent front suspension. Hoping to drive mine sometime this summer. It should be a lot of fun! Gene

10. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Exline, keeping a Mopar a Mopar is very different nowadays. Seems like most rodders want a Chevy with Ford suspension, only with a different body on top. Ever time I see a car put together, staying within the same manufacturer in regards to suspension and driveline, I get very excited.

When I was younger, I put sbc's into a lot of cars, while using a 9 inch rear end. Nowadays, it's more fun to save a original driveline and make it better by taking something old, and making it new again with some modern speed goodies. . It's not by any means "cheaper", but definitely way more awesome in my opinion....

I just purchased/inherited some "vintage" Dodge trucks. After I get done building my new Quonset hut, I will start my Mopar truck projects. This will include the following: 1938 Plymouth Truck, using the original PT57 Engine. A 1937 1.5 Ton Flatbed, using a 265 with 3x1 Bbl carbs, and Fenton style headers. A 1936 half ton Dodge pickup, with a 354 Hemi utilizing a Alkydigger Hilborn Injection System(holy crap not cheap!)....

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

exline likes this.
  11. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Hi Gene, keep me posted, haven't had a chance to call you in a while...

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Yep....the headlamps should sit down into the depressions on the front fenders like this one.... 1946 Dodge pickup.jpg

exline and exterminator like this.
  13. ^^^ but on the 39-40's the lights sit closer to the center of the truck, in the valley of the fenders....like this...
    [​IMG]

RustyDogg, exline and exterminator like this.
  14. lake_harley

lake_harley

It appears it has the very rare optional radio there on the lower left of the dash?

Lynn

15. exline

exline
    from PA

I was wondering about the radio. I dont know if it is original but it looks like it has been there forever. There is also a speaker in the center of the dash. 20180412_235914.jpg

Okie Pete and classiccarjack like this.
  16. No, the radio and speaker are not original to the truck.

17. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

I'll be watching this one for sure as I am also starting a 46 Dodge!!! I just can't decide what motor to use. I have /6 parts for a build but the whole oil pump camshaft wear issue is scaring me towards a 318.
    [​IMG]

RustyDogg and exterminator like this.
  18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

The speaker is out ofilot House series Dodge truck,49-53? The radio must bea 6v if that what the battery is. Pos or neg ground?

19. exline

exline
    from PA

I would not be scared of using a /6. I had one on a dart that ran forever and was still running when i pulled it out. I would like to eventually swap in an early hemi or poly to my 46 when i get the money. I think running the original flat head for now will still be fun. I have never had one of these before.

20. exline

exline
    from PA

Yes the radio would be 6v positive ground. I like the looks of it. I have not tried it to see if it works yet. Even if it dosent i may look into rebuilding it.

spurgeonforge likes this.
  21. gene-koning

gene-koning

I think a radio was an option in the 48 model year, and the speaker certainly looks like the early production unit. Wouldn't have been a big deal to add the radio to a two year old truck at the time.

Classiccarjack, Still plugging away at the 39. The progress has been riddled with setbacks, some my fault, some the fault of others, and some the fault of circumstances beyond our control. Its getting close to moving under its own power, and it should be a lot of fun. Gene

22. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

‘39-‘47 Dodge trucks are one of the best looking produced, that get little attention. Keep us posted !

23. ." I had one on a dart that ran forever"
    ...most likely a slant six, whole different animal...if so...
    Paintman, love your 46, go with the 318, good old engines.

24. exline

exline
    from PA

trying to get it running. It still has the original 218. I have spark at all 6 plugs. I dumped a little gas down the carb but cant get it to do anything. Its been sitting for many years. The carb has not been messed with yet. But i figured it would atleast start and run for a few seconds. Is dumping a little gas in the carb something that dont work as well on flatheads?
    I just did a compression check. Only getting 20psi some cylinders getting no pressure at all.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  25. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Please, don't even think about using a non-Mopar engine!

I have a stock '46 Dodge cab-over-engine ex-pumper fire truck, with a rear body easily converted to a ramp truck with sides, if I ever get to it. (Future project No. 13!) I'm looking for a hood ornament, which I've read is the same as the pick-up item, but the hood curvature doesn't look the same to me.

(I have a never-abused 5-lug Dakota chassis I'd prefer to sell real cheap than scrap, but probably not feasible, if not for use around Boston.)

26. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

valves get gummed up from sitting. Basically you pull the head, I use 50/50 mix of atf/wd40 and lube up the valves.
    Then tap them closed with a plastic hammer, crank the engine over and repeat the lube and tapping the valves closed.
    Until you can crank the engine over and the valves open and close on their own.
    Also lube up the rings while you are in there.

The old engine oil gets sticky, you physically need to get in there and clean the valve stems with the fresh lube and push the valves closed.
    I started with 5 stuck valves, 2 freed up with just taping them down one time, 3 were more stubborn. Mine sat for 40 years.

27. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

I always wanted to see what these trucks would look like with ‘39-‘40 Dodge car front clip... get those headlights in the fenders, ya know? Kinda like Sid’s clipped Ford truck.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. exline

exline
    from PA

I pulled the head off. One valve was a little more stuck than the rest. I used some marvel mystery oil and wd40 and they all work free now. Now to clean it up and put it back together and check compression again.

Attached Files:

29. Make sure the valves are ungummed completely or you'll run the risk of them getting stuck again.
    You should also soak the cylinders with MM or 50/50 acetone & ATF to free up the rings. They might be stuck too.

30. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

My 42 Dodge project has a SBC engine but I will refrain from posting here to lessen the chance of you needing therapy.