Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 110V mig welder w/gas what's your vote ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kyotb8, Apr 13, 2018.

1. kyotb8

kyotb8

I've decided to get a 110V mig with a gas bottle, NOT the flux wire model. I want to know what some of you guys think...Miller. Lincoln, Hobart, Forney ? Others ? NO not doing 220, have 2, 20 amp 110v plugs in garage now. One for compressor, one for future welder ! Your input is appreciated !!!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I love my little Miller..that's my vote

3. RMONTY

RMONTY

I've had the Hobart Handler 140 for 6 years....nary a single problem. It welds anything I need it to but I'm old and can't pick up heavy stuff anymore.

lewk, Hollywood-East and Sporty45 like this.
  4. Love my Miller......but Hobart is made by Miller and a lot less $$$$$$

Fabulous50's and SEAAIRE354 like this.

5. I've got a Lincoln SP100 that's 30 tears old. never any problems with it. I say Lincoln ,Miller or Hobart.

Squablow likes this.
  6. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Mine’s a Hobart 140 too and though I’m a crappy welder it makes me look, well...less crappy

I use it for sheet metal rust repair. ArCO2 gas.

tommyd, zzford and Sporty45 like this.
  7. BJR

BJR

I have a Hobart Handler 120 I bought 15 or 20 years ago. Love that I can move it around the shop and plug it in anywhere.

stillrunners likes this.
  8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Ill second the Hobart , handler . I have had mine for 20 years , I can weld the crack of Dawn , with it ! No issues . Replaced one liner , and torch , just worn out . Like the welder himself

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

zzford and Sporty45 like this.
  9. cracker head

cracker head

I’ve got one I use a bunch.

I should’ve just bought a TIG and learned how to use it.....

brigrat likes this.
  10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a friend who was a union pipe fitter for years. He had 3 or 4 welders, but said he always used his Hobart Handler 140 unless there was a good reason to use something else. I have the 220 volt version and have to agree with him.

zzford and Sporty45 like this.
  11. So you’re saying it’s Miller time?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

zzford likes this.
  12. I have a miller side kick I bought about 10 years ago for $100 bucks with the gas meter gauge and a spool if wire

Use it a lot, welds good , but only thin stuff, floors , brackets , body panels etc.

I use it at work as well but nothing thicker then 3/8ths I don’t trust I’m getting a solid weld with 110 on anything thicker

I have a 220v old Hobart that’s awesome on the big stuff
    And an old lincolin arc welder as well

All bought cheap on my local inter webs classified sites

$100 for the miller
    $200 for the Hobart ( with gauge and a 50 foot extension cord )
    And the lincolin was $50 at a garage sale so it followed me home also .

Any of the name brands are good just watch your duty cycle as the 110 stuff it’s low and the cheap brands are almost useless

13. Sporty45

Sporty45

I too have a Hobart Handler 140. I love this machine. it does everything I ask of it, but I don't do any heavy welding. I mostly use it for sheet metal, but have done a bit on my frame with it, like boxing plates and brackets.

14. I like the Century wire feeds. The one I have is discontinued, but the current model is the FC90. The feature I like is it has infinite adjustment on both wire speed and voltage, so you can really 'tune' it for the best weld. Most have adjustment on wire speed, but only 'steps' for voltage. Mine is 20+ years old, been trouble-free...

chryslerfan55 and trollst like this.
  15. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Lincoln is my vote, had my sp-100 for probably 25 yrs. I also have a 220 volt machine, but it just collects dust.

ABONES likes this.
  16. nobux

nobux

I bought a Miller 211 last fall. It is awesome. With my old tool truck MIG, I had to work at getting a good bead. With the Miller, it's effortless. Just dial in the metal thickness and squeeze the trigger.

zzford and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. kyotb8

kyotb8

WOW. Thanks for all the quick replies. I've got a good idea now. Got a "friend" that may get me a little"deal" on a new Hobart ! This forum is the greatest ! I appreciate all the replies. !!!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

18. I have an old miller-matic...love it

rusty valley likes this.
  19. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a 140 Miller I bought used and its works pretty good. I've only run flux core through it so far. finally got a bottle and expect weld quality to go up. Coupla things:
    1) 20 amp won't cut it, you WILL be tripping the breaker if you weld for any length of time. 30 amp needed
    2) use only quality US made or European wire. Chinese crap wire will give crap results. Many welding threads on here confirming this.
    3) if you have no formal training in welding, GET SOME. continuing education class, welding school, community college, welding supplier seminar. technique is almost everything, joint fitup/preparation is the rest

zzford, chryslerfan55 and kyotb8 like this.
  20. rfraze

rfraze

21. I have a Hobart handler
    Welds great
    We have a lot of blue welders at school and 1 red one we don’t like

22. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

23. RMONTY

RMONTY

I've done trailer repair with my Hobart. I replaced the bullnose hitch on a buddy's trailer and with some quick prep that thing is burned in and burned in good. It was almost at its limit for a 110 volt machine but as I said, 10 mins of prep and it is NOT coming off there. I use his trailer more than he does so I wanted to be sure! ;)

24. kyotb8

kyotb8

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into the wire size and breaker in the box for the supply of the plug. I didn't know that about the Chinese wire. i had 2 body shop classes where we got some basics, and I have a friend that's a TRUE professional. Of course, tig is his choice, but I will only do some body work and maybe some 10 gage. I appreciate your input.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. RMONTY

RMONTY

I buy wire at Tractor Supply....not the HF place. I bought HF once and now use what's left of that spool to hang stuff up to paint. You would not believe the difference!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  26. Have a Lincoln SP100, bought it used 20 years ago. Still going.

ABONES and Vanness like this.
  27. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I have a Lincoln 140c that works well but I prefer to use my Lincoln 180 tig for most jobs. Wire just does not penetrate like a tig.
    Jim

28. Vanness

Vanness

Almost same story. Maybe 18 years. ....

ABONES likes this.
  29. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My little Lincoln is at least 30 years old, never a bit of trouble with it.

ABONES likes this.
  30. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Got a Lincoln 125SP Plus in 1993 that still works fine. Had a LOT of wire thru it in those years.
    SPark