Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Very ugly, but kind of cool

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by huffreport, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scott this is another pic of @Hollywood-East's former jalopy. I did post a pic of it back in the beginning of this thread. It did end up in TROG after he sold it. He did elaborate on its origin through information he gleaned here and the link to his thread is below this pic... It was apparently built in Germany perhaps by a serviceman stationed there and has some nice workmanship evident in this photo. These things much like the stuff we see here today vary in fit and finish depending on the hands at the wheel so to speak.

Is this the one you were thinking of ?

[​IMG]

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...this-in-w-n-y-jalopy-out-of-rochester.530276/

Credit to Hamber @Hollywood-East

catdad49, motoklas and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Hell'ova contrast.... 1779873-1274bcfa409270d5b234750cc667b755.jpg 12244311_1017949244914075_3828855010321641910_o.jpg

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is...Thanks Hollywood that definitely had some nice metalwork done to it...the fella who built it was perhaps a mechanic of some kind. I was trying to find a closeup of it in its TROG facelift but came up empty. It is one of the more stylish ones presented here.

4. scotts52

scotts52

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a three wheeler with a happy camper if I ever saw one
    what the heck is that hood ornament...and if its Homebuilt it is a better built one thats for sure.

Download the Photobucket patch for Mozilla Firefox it seems to work with these problem threads
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/

Whatisit.JPG

Posted by Hamber @chaddilac in thread in above quote

6. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

302b65b3e88f11a76592cb959caa177e.jpg OK, That is Definitely topped my charts for ugly, Kinda reminds me of an album cover that had a car that Clearly resembles a penis, This would have been the female counterpart that builder would have created, gotta look now, might have been stepnwolf, check, it Was!

catdad49, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's quite clear what they thought of it too...make no bones about it...:confused::D

catdad49 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Stogy, That was Good!! h-hee...

Stogy likes this.
  9. This thread caught my eye and I'm thinking that the home built's design was possibly inspired by Edsel Ford's 1934 Model 40 Special Speedster.

[​IMG]

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Feel like Edsel in your $500 racer...It was like a jalopy racer that
    had many levels of finish depending on who put their expertise into it
    and really the chassis were proven technology...perhaps hopped up just as Hotrods in many cases.

Conservative Henry and Artsy Edsel. In those days the masses (the Public) had Boots on the Ground, Paper media, Telephone and absorbed it all and threw the dice and come up with many things to buzz around in. It was just to bad so much has been lost but still things are coming together to paint the color that it was. I don't doubt your observation at all Bomb...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and Bleach like this.
  11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Looks like one of them walking fishie thingies. Gary
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats exactly where ideas come from sometimes Gary...our surroundings and nature. Their dreams evolve from a moment. That thing and yeah its not even 4 wheels could be lumped into the mini econo car movement back then. Many individuals much like today want to create success stories and reap the royalties of such. But many fall short of that and few reminders remain if any unless examples or photos of such still remain. Like I said about those homebuilt part racer/part sportscar/jalopy runabouts with a tinge of Hotrod they were more function over looks...basic and cheap and originating as basic projects for something different for one that wanted the feel of a race car at a fraction of the cost in the very exciting for the times science mechanical publications.

One other thing to explain diversity in creation in North America was the diversity of the people. Ones of other soils but landed brought others ways of thinking. Media flowing from all corners of the globe also influenced the Hotrod/ Race/ Sportscar/ Custom evolution. The creators of the homebuilts may have been catering to the anti Hotrod crowd to some degree as it was frowned upon after all Hoodlums used to be a serious description....

Junior-Jalopy-Custom-1930s-Roadster-w-Crosley-Power-for-sale-Front.jpg

https://bringatrailer.com/2017/04/20/junior-jalopy-custom-1930s-roadster-w-crosley-power/

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

Do you know where the picture was taken?
    The root of that particular design was Bob Whitehead. He built some cars and sold plans (as mentioned above). My grandfather and his brother lived near him and bought one of his cars in the early 1950's.

This one does look sort of crude, particularly the front end.

I actually like these...I would love to find one that I could buy that isn't a total hack job.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

WOW !!! I would't have thought so many of these were ever built, let alone actually survived to this day. Some look pretty cool; some just look..................................I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

17. VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  18. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I would have the same expression as that car at 100mph...recapped bias plys...built from magazine plans by a vacuum cleaner salesman...the wind in my scalp, eyes bugging out. What seat belts?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk... Gary from Virginia

Stogy likes this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has a face doesn't it kinda like this :eek:...you had me going thru the article about recaps...either I missed it or it was just part of the humor but yes the front of ole rusty is quite animated and doing a hundred in any old car is bound to get the juices going...;)

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it is...I was just posting assumed influences to these hybrid Jalopy/Sport/Race inspired wacky things that may have pulled up to a Hotrod/Custom at the lights generating odd looks from all parties.

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was in high school I went to Tech school half a day. The auto mechanics teacher was building a 2/3 scale Auburn Boat Tail. It was on a Willys car chassis. Mostly wood frame body skinned with sheet metal. Every new class worked on it some. I know he had it done because it was in the Dundalk 4th of July parade once. He has passed and no one has seen it since. Sad...it turned out pretty darn good.

catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The golden age of Gorp. Just sayin...

Stogy likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ak-miller-hemi-powered-caballo-II-chassis.jpg

A lurker in behind...I still feel these influenced the MI creations.

catdad49, mgtstumpy and motoklas like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a thought...there was a time when Hotrodding was frowned upon... Hoodlumism used to describe Hotrodders back in the day. So are these perhaps a way to get your kicks without the comparison.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the late 50's or early 60's we live in a rented house on Bainbridge Island Wa that had a large collection of Mechanics illustrated and or Popular mechanics from the early 50's in a built in cabinet in the hallway outside of my bedroom. I read those magazines cover to cover a lot of times and read the how to build your own sports car articles several times over.
    That is what they were, the build it yourself sports car for the work by the hour guys who admired but couldn't afford a Jag, Allard, Cunningham or Austin Healey, MG or other sports car that was around at the time. Buy an old Ford for what wouldn't be beer money now, strip or cut the body down and add a few pieces to make your own "sports car" body and off you went. I'd think that most of those were built before the mid 50's when you could start picking up a year or two old V8 car that had a lot better performance off the used car lot.

Stogy likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

catdad49, mgtstumpy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  28. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Form over function. In this case function over form.

A lot of these are examples of a mechanic or an industrious builder making something. Design is second fiddle, or bad :).

Certainly some neat stuff. Seen more in the popular mechanics mags of the day. Great stuff! Mechanical Innovators.

Not all of Eds Roths cars where "fuctional", But they were all works of art. it's hard to look to another builder that is more influential in styling then Ed. Starbird/jefferies was great too.

Sometimes they all come together too... even if it an artist rendering.

Attached Files:

• pop.JPG
      pop.JPG
      File size:
      145.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    catdad49, motoklas and Stogy like this.
  29. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hamtown Al, catdad49 and mgtstumpy like this.