Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New Texas Plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DingDang, Apr 12, 2018.

1. DingDang

DingDang

Just got the new style Texas antique plates. They look much better. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

slim38, TagMan, 72yenkonova and 2 others like this.
  2. 2935ford

2935ford

Where we are if you apply and get antique plates it puts heavy restrictions on your usage of the vehicle.

3. Raunchy

Raunchy

Same here. Roll the dice. I have never be hassled about it in 20 years.

slim38 likes this.
  4. How long did it take to get them ? I ordered for 2 cars at the same time, took about 2 weeks to get the first one ,a month and a half later still waiting on the 2nd one.

stillrunners likes this.

5. DingDang

DingDang

About three weeks for mine. Never been hassled about it; but I’m not driving rush hour on I-45 every day either.

6. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

That because I45 does not run thru Ft. Worth

RMONTY, tfeverfred and belair like this.
  7. belair

belair

Got stopped once with mine by DPS. Saw I had no front plate (they only issue one) and no inspection sticker. We argued over whether I had to have the sticker (you don't). I finally said "I don't know all the traffic laws in Texas, trooper, but I darn sure know the ones that apply to me and these old cars." That gave him pause, and he let me go. Good thing, I had no proof of insurance with me, cause I had no insurance on the car. Big fine. He saw me later in the HEB parking lot and said "You were right. When I'm wrong I'll admit it." Anyway, I never liked that goofy horseless carriage on the old plate.

XXL__, wraymen and treb11 like this.
  8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Those do look much better. Still not cool, but less not cool than the old one :) Still waiting on mine.

72yenkonova likes this.
  9. ems customer service

ems customer service

looks great gonna make my self a set

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. XXL__

XXL__

I never get the friendly ones. I've been pulled over twice with antique plates by DPS troopers. One wrote me a ticket for no inspection sticker (I got it dismissed, but only after wasting 4 hours of my life waiting to talk to the prosecutor). The other one pulled me over for no front plate, then, when I told him we only get one plate, decided to write me a warning for something else (missing headlight-- true, but it was 10:30am, and after much searching I have yet to find any law that directly applies to daytime requirement for having them). Crazy thing is, he could have nailed me for a half dozen other trivial things if he had bothered to read up on regs.

I got pulled over once by a local officer in my daily driver, which has black YOM plates, for not having "valid" plates. After some time on the radio, he then switched it to "not having sticker on the plate" (it is on the state-supplied metal tag corner, and is attached to the top right bolt as required). After more time on the radio, I got a gruff, "have a nice day."

belair likes this.
  11. still waiting on my two - paid for at the end of March - at the local tag office...

12. Funny when my Studie and me were pulled over....even with insurance and DL with the same address...he said we didn't exist.....finally came back with - oh...you do.

13. XXL__

XXL__

Good news!

14. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Skip the antique plates and use YOM plates, they look better you only have to buy them once and the registration lasts 5 years .

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. XXL__

XXL__

Agreed that YOM look better, buy antique plates are "free" and registration is also 5 years.

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  16. banjorear

banjorear

That's what I'm doing in NJ with a '28 AV8 roadster. Fingers crossed. My plan is to run a '42 plate and keep the QQ plate in the car to pull out if I get pulled over. We'll see how it goes.

17. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

SUCK. Have traded front to rear and the formerly front printed POS now has nearly all the printing scrubbed off from backing up to trailer. With the old prisoner stamped ones the raised letters/digits were there even if paint was scratched all to hell.

18. leon bee

leon bee

In Arkansaw everybody with a junker old enough buys those plates. There's a plumber in town with antique tags on his clapped out service truck.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too many of those clowns here running antique plates on 25 year old cars. I only own one vehicle that isn't old enough to run antique plates on but won't run them on anything except maybe the roadster when it is done as it will be built to look like it was actually built in the late 20's early 30's
    I'd say any of us who run YOM, antique, Classic, horseless carriage or what ever your state sticks on them for a name needs to print out and have the regs that pertain to running them clipped to the registration and insurance papers. That is especially if you tend to travel out of your home area or out of state in the vehicle. It's a hell of a lot simpler to be able to say here is my registration, here are my insurance papers and here is the state rcw's from the state website on running my plates than it is to deal with an officer who has no clue as to what you have or why.

XXL__ likes this.
  20. Raunchy

Raunchy

Same with me. 1 in about 2 1/2 weeks. Still waiting on the 2nd one. Been about a month and a half. Did 3 of them at same place. They handed me my sticker and small plate for YOM. Said others would come in the mail.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. leon bee

leon bee

We're a poor state and I figure soon half the citizens will be running those tags. So then they'll have to change everything and fuck it all up. I'm like you: whatever I'm using for my work truck is always old enough, but it just ain't right.

22. DingDang

DingDang

If you can find me a set I’d be happy to buy them. I can’t find a pair.

23. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

24. Yep....what LSM said....I have a few YOM plates - some I bought at Pate some 35 years ago but don't run them.....a pretty pair that will pass the Troopers and DMV and are about $75.00 or you might find a deal for less....or might find a pair you could restore - anyways - they have to pass the Troopers first from what I understand.....good luck and come see me at Pate......buy my junk......

25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

IMHO, "Antique" plates should be 50 years. There's nothing antique (or classic) about any 1993 vehicle. In 1980, the 25 year mark made sense.

You'd get popped real quick with historic plates on a 1980's/1990's commuter vehicle in CA. as they're pretty strict about enforcing the "used primarily for shows, parades, not primary transportation" clause.