Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods who makes license plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by weemark, Apr 11, 2018.

1. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

I am in the UK but I'm looking to have a license plate made but want it to look like an old black/orange CA plate. I quite like the old style fonts rather than the newer ones that people seems to use. Is there anyone who makes authentic looking plates?

I'm looking for one like the plate from 1931

[​IMG]

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  2. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Is it just for show? If so there are plenty of real ones still around. I've seen them online. Even cheaper if you don't need a pair.

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LOU WELLS, Clay Belt and Vanness like this.
  3. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

I need them to have my UK registration number on them hence the reason I'm looking for someone who makes them with an old style font.

31hotrodguy likes this.

5. I think Alcatraz is closed!:confused: Ebay is going to be your best bet. I think someone makes new ones that you can order.

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you talked to the Licensing Bureau to see what you can legally do I mean you cant just make a plate that looks cool and put a sticker on it...at least here you can't.

7. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

I am meant to get plates which follow our regulations which means a certain size of letters, certain spacing etc. but I would prefer it to look like an old plate instead. who needs to follow the rules? :rolleyes: As long as it has the correct number on it the rest I'm willing to take a chance with.

Stogy, kadillackid and Vanness like this.
  8. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

thanks, they seem to have them all apart from California plates in the correct style :(

9. Slopok

Slopok

If you did that here, you'd be makin' plates for us all!:eek:

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't get me started on the asinine rules for plates here...it makes me very mad. You guys might actually have a decent thing going over there here no way...

Clay Belt likes this.
  11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

weemark and Stogy like this.
  12. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

no its not as bad as that, I might get a fine at most, think it would be about $40?

13. 327Eric

327Eric

Guys that mess with vins and switch plates end up making them for others at special factories.

Clay Belt likes this.
  14. You guys worry too much. No one said they were going to mess with vin numbers, or run illegal plates. The OP just wants some old looking plates for his ride. I did a similar thing. Wanted to run 1962 plates on my car. Can't REALLY do that in Wisconsin. They only allow YOM plates. So I bought some 1962 plates and applied for current personalized plates with the same number. I run the '62 plates on the car, and keep the current plates in the glovebox. If they run the number on the plates, it will come back to the right vehicle. Haven't had an issue yet.

15. License plates in South Carolina are made by prison inmates. :cool: HRP

16. Get enough old plates with the numbers you need, cut em up, rearrange em to suit, weld em up, a little metal finishing, and some paint, good to go.

weemark likes this.
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are printed and not raised letters and sold as a novelty item. In Scotland a vintage Cali plate would be a novelty item. https://www.amazon.com/California-License-Official-Replica-Personalized/dp/B01LXQ1SNO
    Here they would get the car impounded and a stiff fine if you were caught with them but you would have to see if your local law enforcement buys it. I think I would have the regulation plates in the car with me though. "these are just my show plates" might fly there.

18. chaddilac

chaddilac

Logo I did for another hamber here.... not sure if he's still doing the old plates or not.

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 10.47.06 PM.png

The 39 guy likes this.
  19. Deuces

Deuces

Jackson State Pen. in Michigan...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

California press.
    [​IMG]

uncleandy 65 and Clay Belt like this.
  21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:D

22. 327Eric

327Eric

The one license plate restoration guy I talked to told me he stamped new ones. I have also seen very convincing work done with silkscreen. Food for thought.

23. khead47

khead47

Unless they changed, they are made at the Adrian State Prison. I know this from personal experience !

Clay Belt likes this.
  24. Deuces

Deuces

You probably right......

25. 5window

5window

I met nice fellow in an auto parts store last fall in a town near Shannon Airport who made me an EXACT copy of the license plate on my rental car to take home as a souvenir. So they mus do that sort of thing over in the Republic.

26. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

dont worry fellas no one will be making plates from jail - they don't do that kind of thing over here.

I'm not messing with VIN number or license plates numbers - I'm looking for someone to make me a plate with my number on it - which is allowed over here.

Irish Mike likes this.
  27. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Try a search for license plates embossed. I did that search and found the site below. I did not spend a lot of time researching this company and so I cannot endorse or promote their work in any way. It does look like they could do the project you have in mind though. Please let us know how this project turns out (could be expensive). That would include your first visit wit your local constable when he stops you to ask about your interesting license plate;).

https://www.licenseplates.tv/embossed

28. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

the licenseplates.tv site was recommended further up thread but I'm not paying someone nearly $200 for a pair of plates... I can get a pair of newer us style ones for about $50 over here but thought I would try and find someone with older style fonts but I'm not willing to pay too much for them - maybe I'm expecting too much...

29. scotty t, The 39 guy and weemark like this.
  30. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

the thought of doing that has crossed my mind, that's really cool what Rich B achieved.