Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Summit Vs Jegs vs. RockAuto vs.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Apr 6, 2018.

1. ems customer service

ems customer service

some of the parts that seems cheaper have had features removed, summit is know for low prices and low features, bought a winch once form summit, ultra low price, then went back to buy all the stuff that was taken out of the box to make the price lower. rock auto just drop ships cheap junk and low customer service, jegs never did biz with them. but summit does seem to stock what they sell

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  2. leon bee

leon bee

I'm sure that's true about Rock Auto, but I've found they can be a real ass saver sometimes on a lot of OT sort of daily driver stuff.

3. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Ecklers is a large Chevy parts dealer, who recently acquired Mac's antique Auto parts which is big Ford parts supplier. They have a great selection a lot of the stuff is good some is typical aftermarket stuff that don't fit, but that's the world we live in.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Of course you have to pay shipping with RockAuto. What he is referring to is my only bitch with them and their chickenshit shipping policy. Where they choose to house parts is their choice and not my problem.
    If your order has to come from different warehouses then you pay a separate charge for each warehouse that ships their part of your order.
    I once ordered three of the same item. Two came from Warehouse A and one came from Warehouse B. I was charged shipping X 2.

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

I've used all three, no complaints really. IF you do a little homework w/RockAuto, you can sometimes out smart 'em on the separate shipping locations. Jeg's is generous with swag per order in my experience.

6. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I just want to thank everyone for thier post, this thread kind of blew up in a good way with a lot of great info. I'm glad I started it because it was a question I've been having. Getting all this advice form so many knowledgeble guys put me at ease and on the the right foot come time when I start ordering parts. I no I've lost a buck or two with out running it through the big dogs first.
    Everybody have a cool day.

7. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

summit. the free shipping over $100 is extremely easy to get. their shipping is very good and I've never had any problems with what i ordered other than when i cheaped out on bellhousing bolts and snapped one off in the block but that was my fault. sometimes i'll order something and it says shipping time 2-3 weeks (prebent lines and custom made items) and they get here only a day or 2 after the other stuff does.

8. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Ordered radiator hoses today for a 409 from Rock Auto ,Upper and lower, bypass,thermostat and gasket.26 bucks and change plus 6.99 2 day shipping. Napa wanted 29 bucks just for the upper and they had to order it, Eklers and the other chevy guys wanted 38 bucks just for the upper plus shipping and didn;t even stock the bypass hose. Granted the chevy guys stuff was for restoration but this car is gonna be a driver. No brainer here. Ralphie

9. leon bee

leon bee

I did the same for all new belts and hoses for a flathead I'm building. I love my local NAPA, but Rock sent me name brand stuff for less than half the $$ even counting shipping.

10. Had the same issue again today. Late model stuff though, 2 cam sensors. My parts guy wants $34.00 each ,,, $68.00 total plus tax and he can't get them for 2 days. Every on line place has them for $20.00 a pair and I gotta wait the same 2 days.

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When buying from Summit I check to see it its Reno. If it is and I order before 2:00 pm I get it the next day. I hear UPS leaves every hour for SoCal in Anaheim.

12. Ordered from summit yesterday, showed up first this morning on thier shuttle Van. With a free hat:D

Bandit Billy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I got a new Oreallys in town . They will not work with me on anything so I will continue to use Amazon and Rock auto .I work hard for my money ,I can work a little to save it then.

14. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I research all my purchases on a variety of vendor sites. Jeg's, Summit, Speedway, Rockauto, Autozone, O'Reilly's, etc. Each have their pros and cons it'll take a while for you to get more familiar with them. Rockauto is a bit deceiving. The prices are lower but you can get buried by shipping. Where a part ships from (and an additional shipping charge) can change by changing quantity or manufacturer. With Summit, some parts ship from Sparks and some (usually the ones you REALLY need) come from Ohio. With Jeg's it just takes a couple days longer than Summit because of where they're located relative to me. If I need something really fast I check in-store at Autozone (or free same day delivery), or check with O'Reilly's which can get me most anything in a couple hours or overnight (if I want to pick it up).
    All depends on the circumstance, needed parts and my timeframe for the parts. For most speed parts I use Summit as they can occasionally get them to me next day.
    Your mileage WILL vary.....

15. Summit. The new store is 10 minutes from work. I look up what I want on the website and make a copy of the page, get to the store when it opens at 9:00. I show the website copies to the salesman and he enters it, pay for it at the cashier, and usually wait less than 15 minutes for the order to be pulled. I'm normally out and on my way by 9:30. So far they have only had one item not in stock and I got it in 2 days delivered to my house from the Georgia store.

16. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I order from Speedway and Summit, mostly but sometimes, Jegs. Never had a problem with the three. Speedway and Summit ship the same day I order.

17. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"rock auto just drop ships cheap junk"

No, if you look at their listings they have the same reputable name brands as other sellers, like Gates, Felpro, MOOG, etc. Yes, they also have cheap discount brands, but you don't have to buy those.
    The most annoying thing I find about their ordering process is that sometimes you can add an item which causes other items that came from, say, warehouse "A" to now come from warehouse "B" or "C". I believe the letters sometimes also change for the same warehouse as you add to the order.
    I would really like it if they told you what the warehouses were, i.e. Detroit or Minnetonka instead of A or B.
    However, when you have finished the order you can clearly see what the shipping charges will be, and how many warehouses the items will ship from.

For those of us who live in Canada Rockauto is a great seller now, since they have figured out how to ship stuff up hither at pretty good rates, and calculate all the taxes and border fees which are then added to the invoice. If you don't have this prearranged there can be nasty customs and brokerage fees, and my least favourite, the $5 fee to pay the tax on imported goods, even if the tax is only a dollar or two.

How about members in Australia, New Zealand or other overseas locations, what's your ordering experience?

K13 likes this.
  18. weeniewawa

weeniewawa

It is the stupid Prop. 65 crap in Kalifornia which makes EVERYTHING a cancer causing item and either that have to make a special version just for this horrible state or they can't sell it here. I work in the dairy industry and milk barns have the pro 65 warning out in front of them, yes cancer causing milk.

I have ordered paint or wood stain off of Amazon and had the seller contact me later telling me I have to cancel the order as they can't ship it here. It makes everything more expensive and not as good.

19. rjones35

rjones35

Summit, Rock Auto, Amazon, Speedway... I don't like Jegs, bought from them a couple times with no problem, it just seems harder to find what I'm looking for there.

20. weeniewawa

weeniewawa

you just have to try them all and see which one works for you where you live, Summit ships a lot out of Reno which makes it mostly overnight to my house but if it has to come out of one of their other locations, it may take longer than one of the other places. Jegs always seems higher priced with shipping than Summit and I won't order performance type parts from Rock. Amazon carries a lot of stuff which is just sold by someone through them but you have to price shop with them pretty good or you can get taken.

21. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I ordered the Kook's race mufflers from a vendor and they cancelled it saying they were "not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled vehicles". I called and told them it wasn't going on a pollution controlled vehicle and was for off-road use but they still wouldn't ship. Ordered from Summit, got them 2 days later......

22. The situation can't be all that bad................You haven't left yet!

XXL__ and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  23. I like buying from whoever has the cheapest of the same part. For me buying and finding the cheapest, is part of the fun.

24. EW_

EW_
    from DFW

I have ordered parts from Jegs, Summit, Rock Auto, and Amazon. Rock Auto usually has the worst packing (like A/C dryer tubes or steering rack ends sticking out through the box upon arrival). Probably because they are shipping from many locations. IDK. I ordered some sway bar end links for my 2006 F150. Rock Auto sells off brand complete units but not complete Motorcraft units. If you replace the entire end link, it requires 3 Motorcraft part numbers and Rock Auto only offers the main link with bottom bushing. I had to go to Ford for the upper bushing/nutcombo and the lower nut. After this adventure, I emailed Rock Auto with all the Motorcraft part numbers needed to complete the end link and told them that they needed to stock the complete parts not 1/3 of the needed parts. Their response indicated that they were not concerned with anything I had to say.

25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I will say this; I've only ordered from JEGS ONCE, and never again. They sent my order to TENNESSEE, and I live in Washington State; then they would't send out another, they wanted to get their misdirection back first. Nor would they give me a credit or refund until it was returned. I hate voice menu's with phone calls, and the J-E-G-S, hollering several times in my ears did it for me. Summit 100%, all the time, anytime! Never used Rock Auto, but I know guys who swear by them. If I ever see a JEGS sponsored car at the drags, well, we'll see..................I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

wackdaddy and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  26. weeniewawa

weeniewawa

I bootleg a lot

27. Rocco611

Rocco611
    from Madera Ca.

I have ordered from Jegs, took awhile to get the parts, Summit and Speedway have always been good and shipped quickly. RockAuto has great prices but they have sent me wrong parts, broken parts, defective parts , rusty oil filters and a leaking heater core that they wouldn't warranty because they said it didn't fit my vehicle . I still order from them occasionally but never order anything that might need warranty or return. customer service is aweful.

28. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Yep thats my comment as well....................

29. Danny Brown

Danny Brown

We have a Jegs sticker on our dragster, but because we have a brand new and giant Summit store/warehouse here in DFW I mostly buy from them. They are also a dealer for Halfscale who built our car. They also stock more junior dragster oriented stuff that pertains to our car. All that being said, I buy a lot of stuff from Smiley's which is really a dirt track superstore. Their prices are not as good as Summit, but they are only 30 minutes away. Summit is an hour away.

30. brianf31

brianf31

Summit if I need it quick and feel like paying state sales tax. Otherwise, it's Jeg's if the price is the same.