Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP Bluto (Jim P)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superleggera, Apr 2, 2018.

1. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

interesting note about Jim's 328... it was driven to the winners circle in 1940 by Fritz Von Hanstein. If you knew Jim and Z, you know how odd that cars victory was, and why Jim loved it. as i was told by Jim, Hanstein was an officer in Hitlers SS when he drove the car in '40 in the Mille Miglia...

kidcampbell71 and The37Kid like this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

After a seven year search Jim found the Coupe an hour away from me in Wallingford, Ct. I wish I'd asked him what it was that started his obsession with the Pre War BMW. Bob

kidcampbell71 and FiddyFour like this.
  3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

WWII did it... war era BMW's represented everything he despised, (hate, racism, bigotry) and everything he loved, (drive, passion, love of racing and history itself)

pitman, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  4. superleggera

superleggera

A note on Jim's 328MM coupe: Note the club emblem in the grille? Bob Grier who owned the car before Jim was Jewish and postwar the SCCA racing organization wanted nothing to do with "those folks". Thus Grier formed the MCSA (Motor Sport Club of America) which was a New York based alternative to the SCCA in the early postwar years. At one point it had over 200 members and was larger than the SCCA's membership group. At the insistence of other SCCA racers, a few "of those folks" from the MCSA were invited to participate in SCCA events at times. Eventually the SCCA got their act together and it was all about racing and not religious choices.

Jim as mentioned despised hate, racism, bigotry -- and it was just his way of making a statement to others. He did gold plate the emblem to make sure nobody could miss it.

When the coupe went to BMW, Jim kept the MCSA badge as it was a reminder to himself of many of his good friends who were part of the racing scene in the Northeast USA that had been excluded at one point from actually being able to race. (and many of them were in fact BMW 328 owners)

MCSA.jpg

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Jim had a lot of interesting bits & pieces in his collection. Bob

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    kidcampbell71 and FiddyFour like this.
  6. mrkerb

mrkerb

Jim and I were friends since the 70's. We talked when we could and after he moved to Poland this was more difficult but he would come to Long beach about once a year (or so) to restock important stuff he couldn't get over there - like his beloved canned chili so we would catch-up then.
    An interesting guy who could be very helpful except when the 'secret' would make your car quicker than his! He was competitive and was probably happier when everything was cheap and everybody helped out - when the money entered the game, he just became more surly. Through him I met both Denis Jenkinson and Henry Manney (Jenks and Uncle Henry) and sat between them at a dive bar one time (Henry ordered 'gin in a glass') after a few flammable drinks we were back to Jim's shop where we drag raced 50-100cc tiddler roadrace bikes up and down the street as it started to drizzle....

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Thanks Herb... I just learned of Jims passing today when in conversation with my fiance and I brought up his name and Mary said we haven't heard from him in a while... Maybe I should call him. So I thought I'd eaves drop on his favorite threads before I call to see what he was up to and I came across his passing. Jim and I met at the Long Beach swapmeet around 2000 and we enjoyed exchanging junk and finding out that we have mutual friends! We'd meet up at different events and bs. Jim and I have had Burgers with Isky... Chili with Chili Phil at the Nitro Nationals and laughs at the Long Beach swapmeet.... Jeez... We even talked at length after each surgical procedure each of us had encountered... And we had many! He'd have me check out rare car stashes in Wisconsin and Illinois as well as traded parts from our stashes. He was always warm and extremely helpful when I had questions. I miss him already and I would always tell Jim that I was praying for him and he would tell me that he didn't believe... But that he did appreciate the kind thoughts and well wishing. I hope you got the answers to those mysteries. And "God Speed" my friend...!

Mark

9. Hey Phil... I was hoping you'd chime in... Miss talking with you and especially miss Jim! Still making the award winning Chili?

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Hahaha.... I remember that and was thinking to myself... Better have your thoughts in order!

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Mike

Mike

Very sad news.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Damn. A little late to sad news .... Jim Profit ... Bluto ... leaves a huge hole in this place. What he did ... I'll never do. That's a fact. Made all of his posts ... in every forum fun to be in the back seat for. What an incredible world he was.

Andy, OG lil E, F&J and 5 others like this.
  13. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

The BMW folks probably wouldn't want the badge anyway.

14. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thanks for bringing this back to the top.

I miss the phonecalls with Jim...

pitman, HEMI32, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  15. jimdillon

jimdillon

He was a character for sure.

Thor1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm fairly sure Jim let them know he had a BMW Slave Labor pin from WWII.

Bob

17. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

They didn't know what it was or they didn't want to acknowledge they knew what it was. Their faces weren't ones of delight at the discovery.

The37Kid and Thor1 like this.
  18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Forgive me for missing this.
    Sorry guys, didn't even know Jim had left the building.
    I know that there were a lot of people who had a great amount of love and respect for this man.
    My condolences.
    God bless Bluto.

19. bchctybob

bchctybob

I often tell my wife that I always learn something when I take the time to explore the H.A.M.B. I’ve seen posts by Bluto in many threads and tried, as I often do, to imagine the character behind the posts. Too bad it’s only with his passing that I find out about him. I was a Long Beach swap meet regular years back and I’m sure our paths crossed more than once. I watched the videos and he certainly looks familiar. I wish I had known him. I guess none of us get to go on forever down here but the passing of someone like him seems to leave a bigger void. RIP Jim.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 and The37Kid like this.
  20. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Perhaps,now your calling is to fill that void left by Jim?

pitman likes this.
  21. rusty valley

rusty valley

22. reagen

reagen