Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T5 shaft play

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Easyspeed, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Easyspeed

Easyspeed
    from USA

I picked up an early borg warner t5 or t45. Its a five speed. Popped the top cover off and gears look very nice. Bearings look good aswell. The input and output shaft have some sude to side and in and out. Reading I discovered that I can shim the input bearing. Bought shims and started shiming the input race. I’m taking the in and out away but the side to side wigle is still there. Am I ok?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Truckedup

Truckedup

It's a World Class with a tapered roller bearing on the input?

3. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

The non-world class has tapered bearings to on the input/mainshaft assembly too.

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That imput shaft bearing should have .0005-.003 bearing preload with a new bearing. You install the shim, and run a feeler gauge between the imput nose and the case. Used bearings are less to 0 preload. The side to side play is somewhat normal with T5, just verify the preloads. Put the original shim back in and see if there is any gap between the nose and the case. If not, put a shim in that is .001-.003 thicker and see if you notice a gap.

5. Easyspeed

Easyspeed
    from USA

Thanks I’ll give that a try. Should I replace the top cover and tailshaft housing before I measure the input end play?

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Should not matter. The tail housing output shaft and relationship to the rear tail shaft housing will not affect the front imput shaft workings.

7. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

yes, the tail housing locates the main shaft at the rear of the main case.without it in place you will not get a correct measurement.

8. Easyspeed

Easyspeed
    from USA

Worked perfect thanks guys.