Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Glasspacks

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Don Bratton, Mar 28, 2018.

1. I have to take exception to that.

Ben

2. 81 and running duel Smithys with NO cross or X. Let it rumble.

Ben

3. More on the Buick. PLEASE!

Ben

Atwater Mike and Stooge like this.
  4. Stooge

Stooge

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Last car I had I put Flowtech Red Hots on it, about a 18" glasspack. Droned like hell inside until I ran over the axle pipes and out past the rear bumper, then it was only loud when you mashed on it.
    The Lincoln has a set of those Flowmaster knockoffs, it sounded OK with the SBC, well, really sounded better at idle than going down the road to me. Going to see how they sound with the SBF, if they're not up to snuff for my ears, I'm going to try and find something else. My problem is the knockoffs have that stupid offset design, pipe goes in one side and comes out the other, so it will mess up where my tail pipes run, I'll have to have some kind of Z to get them back in the same place if I use a straight through muffler like a glass pack. May just have to leave them or find some of those shorty turbo style muffs that are too quiet for me....

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

Glass packs sound cool But they say look at me Mr policeman and give me a ticket I learned to keep my stuff quite.

7. Porters make a steel pack to replace the offset turbo style mufflers. I put them on my ‘41 p/u and fit perfect in the place of the old 70’s generic turbos.

That’s the good thing about packs, you can go short for loud and long for quiet. You can also play with placement to adjust the tone.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    wbrw32 likes this.
  8. I used to run them on my 56 Ford. A yblock with glasspacks has a unique sound. Now I have them on my 56 Chevy but without tailpipes and it sounds different,louder and deeper. I bought some for my 34 truck but I don't think I will run them, I just got them because they were cheap and used them just to break in the camshaft.

Oh, I noticed something printed often about exhausts......
    quiet and quite are totally different in meaning.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've got a pair of original NOS Smitty's I bought in the 80's on my 55 Olds, but have run Brockman steelpacks on all the customs I've built since then. They sound the best!

Hillbilly Werewolf and dan31 like this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-4-9_8-14-12.png
    Hello,

When our stock mufflers were not sounding too good, despite the big 348/280 hp Impala motor, we went on a search for some different ones. We heard all of the stories of the glasspacks, tube mufflers and less restrictions for better flow, etc. One of my friends had a 56 Chevy and put on some standard glass packs from a muffler shop. They did make some odd ball noises after acceleration. I wanted performance, but no popping or backfiring.

My dad’s friend in Los Angeles said to come up to his garage to pick up some mufflers he had. My dad had told him that we were looking for some performance mufflers. When I arrived in Los Angeles, he had two sets, a pair of tube style truck mufflers and a pair of Corvette mufflers from the factory.

Now, that is a problem. Having heard plenty of Corvettes 56-61 in all stages of modification, the sound was pretty cool. But, the only truck mufflers were the stacks we used to see going up the side of the cab. So, which ones were going to work the best? They would both fit under the car without any road scraping motions. The style and straight through pipes were much better than stock.

Jnaki

We finally decided on the Corvette, tube style mufflers. We brought them home and had our local muffler shop add them to our exhaust system. At the first installation, we had to leave a short down curved end on both tube mufflers. The shop had to make the rest of the custom rear exhaust system within the week. So, we rolled out of the shop for a week of cruising and racing with the short and loud mufflers only.

Did they improve the sound and acceleration? Definitely, the sound improved with the short interim down tips. Upon acceleration at the local drive in back alley, it did make a difference. When the final complete exhaust system was ready, the “Corvette” mufflers’ sound made a huge difference over the stock system. It was time well spent. The E.T. time slips showed an overall lower time than with the factory stock exhaust system. It still qualified for the A/Stock class competition.

11. Glass or steel packs installed backwards so they do almost nothing, got that on my 425 nailhead 29 roadster and my 350 sbc in my 39 Ford tub and 51 Merc, sound great. If you get a ticket, stuff a couple of brass pots and pan scrubbers up the pipes with a cotter pin to keep them in, get inspected, pull the cotter pins out hit the gas, pot scrubbers come flying out. put them away till you need them again. JW

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
    Elcohaulic and plymouthgoat62 like this.
  12. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

2 X 30" for me although I doubt if there is any glasspack left after 100k miles!

13. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Are the ones pictured, the truck or vette? What year vette? pics? Thanks!

14. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I still use Thrush Cherry Bombs and just chop the case down to whatever size I want and weld them back together again. The ones on my '57 are about 12" long and 2.5" in and out

John Lee Williamson likes this.
  15. 6sally6

6sally6

Blowmaster 40's are NOT!! a good sub for glas packs. "They-say" Flowmasters are some of the MOST restrictive muffz out there(including stock replacement mufflers)! I can tell the diff when I cap-up my headers and exhaust thru the muffz!
    Glass packs are still sold in auto parts stores...they're just called something different.
    Usually three types at Poop Boyz (and others) Turbo........Chambered...Straight-thru. Straight-Thru type are the old glass packs.
    What's that one muffler Mario Andretti likes to advertise?? Its a "glass pack"(with a big price)
    Hope this helps!
    6sally6

16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^ I have a pair of those ^^^^. The boxes are long gone, but they are unused. Probably never get used. The 51 Bus Coupe had a mild 350, LT1 Cop Car exhaust manifolds, and 36" Cherry Bombs into full length exhaust to the rear bumper. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

17. Had Smithy's on my flathead because some commented they were perfect for a flathead... obviously I have a different opinion of "perfect"... so 2 lengths of pipe in place of the Smithy's solved the issue & now it sounds "perfect"

John Lee Williamson likes this.
  18. After walking around the MidAm street rod nats, with my dad, and after getting his 34 sedan back on the road, which has long glasspacks on it, I went home and cut the turbo mufflers out from under my 40 coupe. Replaced them with some 22" Cherry Bombs, because I didn't want it to sound like every other car that I heard that weekend.

The stake truck has a set of Walker 24041 14" bodied glasspacks on it, with the pipes ending just past the back of the frame. Quiet enough, at speed, to have a conversation in the cab. In snorts and pops pretty bad, on the driver side, because I had to raise the latest engine swap up too high to get a good fit between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe. I keep blowing out the donut gasket.

19. Primetime 45

Primetime 45

I have Thrush glasspacks, 26 inch overall length on my 51 F1 that is a daily driver. Tailpipes are 2 1/2” and run all the way to rear bumper. Engine is a 289. No noticeable cab noise at normal speed and acceleration with windows up. But a good rumble upon fast acceleration. IMG_0140.JPG

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Elcohaulic and Just Gary like this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

Hey P,
    They were listed as a 61-62 Corvette Muffler online. They were not the exact ones we put on since it was way back in 1961 when I got my Corvette mufflers from my dad's friend in Los Angeles. The sound underneath my 58 Impala was so much better than stock. The motor was always sounding good, but after the whole exhaust system was complete, it was enjoyable for miles and miles of cruising around So Cal, during those teenage years.

Jnaki
    I am sorry that those apartment dwellers behind Grissinger's Drive-In restaurant got the brunt of the acceleration noise down that alley. But, it sure impressed me and everyone else. Also, there were no tickets for loud noises from any CHP or the local police. Of course, we all knew how to raise the RPM to find that sweet spot of low noise from the exhausts.

These Corvette mufflers were still on the Impala when I sold that car in 1965. So, at least 4 years of sweet exhaust noise and performance from those mufflers.

Truck64 likes this.
  21. shooter_bighorn

shooter_bighorn

22. jchav62

jchav62

I run Cherry Bombs on mine... 18" I believe. I love the rap on a perforated glass pack muffler..

plymouthgoat62 likes this.
  23. I also have some of these someone gave me years ago.........Turbo tubes, supposed to be kinda loud.
    turbo tubes.jpg

plymouthgoat62 and Deuces like this.
  24. Chambered exhaust systems could be had on GM F bodies in '69. Raspy to say the least.

plymouthgoat62 and Just Gary like this.
  25. Deuces

Deuces

Yep!.. Those made a 302 sound pretty good.... Especially with the solid lifter camshaft... :D:):cool:

Just Gary and Elcohaulic like this.
  26. gtokid70

gtokid70

Ya I agree had walker continentals on my 69 chevelle back in 1980, long gone. I run smittys on my edsel mounted at the back. I plan on cutting off the turbos and installing glasspacks on my gto. My hot rod build will have glassplacks cant beat the sound

27. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brockman Mellowtones! Great product and great people to work with.

28. topher5150

topher5150

Went to Blains Farm and Fleet the other day, and they Thrush glass packs for $27 a pop:D

29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one in front of a 70 series Flowmaster on my OT F150 5.0 needed to live with drone…

Blues4U likes this.
  30. 4speed411

4speed411

Purple Hornies with full exhaust was the best sound I have had on a car, plan on running them on the three window coupe this summer.