Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods original steel wheel pinstripe, i never see it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty valley, Apr 8, 2018.

1. rusty valley

rusty valley

even in the old photos of early hotrods, i never see it. hard to believe that in the 50's when all you had to do was go to a junk yard for wheels and tires, it seems they must have painted the wheels. i kinda like it myself. here's a chevy, and a ford from my pile IMG_1215.JPG IMG_1215.JPG

2. Like yourself, I really enjoy seeing pinstriped wheels.

3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the look as well. Usually have mine striped.

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

46-8 were striped from the factory. probably on the super deluxe.

Atwater Mike likes this.

5. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Some of my Mopar wheels from the 40s are pinstriped.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. rusty valley

rusty valley

nobody has em on they're current hotrod?

7. Canuck

Canuck

Had stripping on the wheels of my Model A, color of wheels and stripe match stripping on car.
    upload_2018-4-8_22-9-11.png

Canuck

banjeaux bob and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. My (Australian bodied/built) 37 Chevy had pinstriped wheels from factory, they were so neat I didn't have the heart to paint them, so they ran as they were. I bought some (ugly 4WD) rims for my 47 Chev, and run flipper covers, but they have neat 2-tone pinstriping visible in the gap between the cover and the tyre. (Sunraysia rims)

9. GraeffSS

GraeffSS

I have "cheater" pinstriping on my wheels (made with masking tape), when i repaint them to match the body i will try to do it the proper way

[​IMG]

Sent from my ASUS_X00DDA using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. bct

bct

I have to agree they look great. I have some artillery wheel with the scallops striped they look really smart.

11. IMG_2215.JPG I like them

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I like them,an did them for my self an others in the late 50s an some in the 60's too. I shake now at 76,but did a set last year anyway for a buddy,had to have him take the wheels for me too lay them down fo me,there was a time could do that with them on the car !

catdad49 likes this.
  13. Blake 27

Blake 27

New build, Andy Nance Deuce. DSC09623.JPG DSC09624.JPG DSC08510.JPG

14. I remember buying and driving lots of cars with striped steelies, back when I was a pup. I can't say who was first and when, but sometime in the 50's full wheel covers rather than the dog dish hub caps really took over. The auto makers phased out the pin stripes that historically had tarted up the previous "De Lux" models. They figured "If you want "De Lux", you will pay for wheel covers and if you want a base model, you ain't getting no more pin stripes."

I like seeing them on the old iron at car shows, etc. Keep the faith and keep stylin' pin striped wheels!

15. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

somewhere in my stash, I have a homemade stand to mount a wheel and spin it while holding a striping brush to it.

catdad49, Atwater Mike and ClayMart like this.
  16. Good way to check for run-out too! :D

17. Deuces

Deuces

rollerbrush_stripper.jpg Should be easy to do really...... I've thought about buying one of those little pin striping Doo hickies with the roller wheel.... Or make one at work with the lathe and Bridgeport....

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    quick85 likes this.
  18. 56C3B6

56C3B6
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY

I like'em too. Painted a set of these up for my '27 T build. IMG_1880.JPG

slv63, quick85 and Deuces like this.
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Tommy the Greek was doing some when I went to pick up my plane.
    He had a wheel jacked up, spun it by hand, held a striping 'sword' brush to it...Perfect! He then did a 'sister' line next to it. I said "Wow..." when he finished. He asked if my customers said 'wow' to me after I finished...I replied, "Only the Porsche ones, when they get the bill..."

My airplane was a P-51 Mustang, scratchbuilt balsa sheet Control Line scale model, Super Tigre .35 Rear intake, side exhaust with silk covered wing, overall 6 coats of Silvair Aluminum acrylic lacquer.
    Tommy panel-lined it, and applied the teardrop sets on cowl, tail, and both sides of wing. The 'beltline' was black, with white borders. Radiator belly scoop was also 'detailed', black arrows with white pinstriped borders.
    Signature on right wing: Tommy the Greek '76
    I was proud of that.
    When I handed him the payment, he looked up and said "Wow..." we both laughed.

catdad49 likes this.
  20. gas pumper

gas pumper

rusty valley, quick85 and Deuces like this.
  21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

22. Deuces

Deuces

gas pumper likes this.
  23. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

This is one of the original wheels off of the '46, I'm in the process of painting two 16x4 and two 16x5's the same Maroon body color which will have three Red pinstripes and stock '46 hub caps that have the Red painted accents. 5.00 and 7.50 bias plys blackwalls will wrap the wheels, just for something different!!

Attached Files:

24. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

I dug these out yesterday, might have to put them on to make the trip to Dewey, expecting another Blizzard this weekend, third one in three weeks! IMG_1587[2683].jpg

slv63 likes this.
  25. rusty valley

rusty valley

those look good enough to run as is to me!

26. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I got tired of polishing Torque Thrusts after 30 years and last year decided to add these pinstriped by a buddy. I have no talent! Joe

IMG_20180413_212345077.jpg

27. 41 C28

41 C28

28. Deuces

Deuces

Looks good to me....

oldsjoe likes this.
  29. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

Here's an oddball off of a 1956 Buick that i picked up. Almost all models of this year was sold with full wheel discs, but GM was cool enough to add three stripes when they were hubcap equipped. It's a neat look.
    IMG_1829.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

oldsjoe likes this.