Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how hard is it to strip powder coating from parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Apr 8, 2018.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I am looking at some engine compartment parts that were powder coated that will not match the parts I want to paint. will this stuff come off with a big wire wheel on a 3/4 HP buffer? maybe some other way?

if not what about painting these parts? can you scuff and paint powder coat?

2. Fourdy

Fourdy

I worked for hours GRINDING (heavy sanding disk) the powder coating odd of a rear end axle housing. It was a thick coating.

Fourdy

56don and 49ratfink like this.
  3. Good powder coat is mighty hard to get off by hand, use a liquid stripper!!

4. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Sand with 80 grit prime and paint. Just scratch for paint to adhere

5. Best method I've found is a propane torch and a large hand wire brush. Heat it until it starts bubbling, then hit it with the brush. That should get most of it off, sandblasting/sanding will usually get what's left. The chemical stripper is just too nasty IMO, not to mention slow.

49ratfink likes this.
  6. Joe H

Joe H

Torch it off.

hfh and 49ratfink like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use the powder coating as a primer and paint it the color you want...

8. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^DITTO^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Best primer job going.

49ratfink likes this.
  9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

..thanks for the replies. if it will bubble I am there. I been bubbling paint off shit with fire for years.:)

Johnny Gee likes this.
  10. I've tried every method mentioned here... the propane torch/hand wire brush works best with the least mess/work.

And I've had uneven success with painting over it; it seems like the thicker the coating, the more likely you'll have paint issues.

11. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

I vote for painting over, I've had good luck with that. I think the trick is attention to prep work and a good cleaning just before the paint.

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I've never tried to remove it, but it seems to scratch easily. Sand blasting won't work? Gary

13. oldolds

oldolds

There are 2 different formulas for paint stripper. One works quite well on powder coat. The other will not do so good. The one has some kind of chemical in it that does the job. I never remember what it is. I always ask my powder coating friend.

14. Logic would tell you if it's that hard to get off and good shape then its a great base for a scuff and squirt. Especially new parts

15. I have used zip strip and a razor blade. put it on thick.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And plastic bag it.

17. blazedogs

blazedogs

Never tried to remove powder coating so I don't know. From several items that I have powder coated in the past the items seem to nick and scratch easily and not too happy with the outcome. Your saying that it,s hard to remove ? Gene

18. Squablow

Squablow

My dad had some wheels powdercoated for a resto he's having done and since the wheels were originally two colors they got coated in one color and I taped them off and painted the second color over the top, it seems to have worked out very well for that. I bought brand new red Scotchbrite scuff pads and really worked them to get a good "tooth" for the paint to stick to, seems to have worked well.

If I had some powdercoated parts that I wanted to paint, unless the powdercoating was damaged in some ways, I'd prep and paint over the top.

19. earlymopar

earlymopar

When re-working parts that have been rejected and have already had one re-coat, production powder-coating suppliers re-heat coated parts and burn-off the previous layers.

Also, when liquid painting over cured powder, you really need to know what type of powder was used. You may "get-away" with painting on a powder coated part but there can be incompatibility issues between the powder layer and liquid depending on what each base material is. Powder coat can be polyester, epoxy, acrylic, floropolymer or hybrid combinations of these.

- EM

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    49ratfink likes this.
  20. Still seems worth a try to scuff and shoot. As the alternatives are all gonna take off the top paint layer easy enough if it don't turn out nice.

21. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Zip strip in the yellow can will strip it.

22. Motor City

Motor City
    from Michigan

I found aerosol paint strippers work very good on powder coating. Home Depot has a brand in a tall can, that I have used with good results.

23. SMLBound

SMLBound

24. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

A Pangborn blaster took the powder coating off that hadn't already fallen off of our snowplows.