Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

B double e double r un, beer run!
    We need a picture of a barracuda (the fish) with a pancake on it's head. Lol

2. swifty

swifty

Hey Jim, did you get your entry in for Drag Week as I gather from reading racer-x thread that you really had to be on the ball to get in?

3. squirrel

squirrel

I'm in LA at a robot competition.

Sent from my Trimline

norms30a and Jiminy like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

I got to register early because I placed last year.

Sent from my Trimline

Donuts & Peelouts and norms30a like this.
  5. Any updates. Drag week is getting closer.

Phil

jim snow likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

Robot season is over....and I'm working on cleaning up my shop, so I have room to work. I rehabbed my wife's horse shed, to store car parts in. Also got the front axle in the mail, so I can now make perches and get the front of the frame figured out.

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How did your team do? Don't know how you have the time for the team, work on your own stuff, and post good info here as well.

Stogy likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

That's easy, I don't have a job! I got lucky, my wife supports us.

Our team did OK, we didn't win. But we had fun...and the kids are learning a lot.

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my book that's all that matters.

enloe likes this.
  10. The kids learning and having fun is what its all about. Who knows what doors were opened for these kids that participated. The value of these programs cant be measured with wins. Its a great thing that you do mentoring the kids.

11. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Jim ,just found this thread.havent been on here in a while. Fantastic project,I know glen hunter another drag week guy so I understand what you are trying to accomplish. Not a easy task. I just finished a 528 Hemi and it's another world compared to conventional engines. Edelbrock has a very affordable head,I managed over 440 cfm @700 840 na hp 7000 rpm. Relocated exhaust and 2.310 intakes. They borrowed a lot of stage 5 improvements. Well worth a look. Stage 5 rockers and shafts are pricy but a good investment. The valve arrangements are very different than a wedge,with the intake charge directly inline with the exhaust overlap and Lsa need to be watched.crane cams has been developing hemis since the 60s. And still are,chase knight has done some great grinds for them right up until his retirement.dont treat this like a bbc,they are called elephants for a reason. Big rotating mass,aluminum rods and heavy tool steel pins are a must. I ran into crank flex badly with mine, center counterbalance and a billet if your budget allows. I read racer x's thread and he has been around the block a few times with packaderms. I am sure he has some good advice as well. Best of luck Jim and most importantly,have fun.

12. squirrel

squirrel

thanks!

I'm trying to build torque with some boost, and not so much RPM. I expect my engine building requirements are going to be different from yours, as well as different from Brian's.

Stogy, Johnny Gee and enloe like this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

Well Jim, now I know how you are able to indulge yourself with extravagant collector car projects such as the Chevy II, the Edsel, Corvair, and now the La Salle and the Barracuda. You're a wealthy tool magnate!
    I recently came across this precision "All Sixteenths" wrench from your Asian factory.
    SquirrelTools.JPG
    Sorry, I saw that wrench and thought it was too funny........

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

15. That would make a cool hood ornament..................

bchctybob likes this.
  16. I had the opportunity to get into the robotics program during high school but instead chose to co’op and work. 20 years later I got into robotic welding and I wish I had started in high school.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

Back to the car....I've been working on cleaning up the shop, which took about 3 weeks, if you include the rehab work on the horse shed to turn it into a car parts storage shed. Yeah, it is too nice inside now, but the parts might survive without being eaten by mice or rusting away.

And my Heliarc welding class is going ok, I've been getting grades in the high 80s to low 90s on my welds. We started with stainless, then moved on to aluminum. Only a few more weeks of that. I started playing with some steel at home, to see how it welds. I obviously need more practice on the tube, and probably on the flat, too. But it's a start.

shop clean.jpg weld practice 01.jpg

18. Good looking for being a new hand at it. Some guys cal that good enough. It actually becomes fun at some point and some pride comes along with it.
    The Wizzard

19. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

20. gene-koning

gene-koning

Jim, I've been around dirt track racing for years and I've seen a lot of welds that didn't look anywhere near that good survive some horrendous crashes. You are off to a good start. Lots of practice is the answer. Gene

21. Many years back when I first picked up a Tig torch I was working in a strait Fab shop. My boss picked up on an issue I had and pointed it out to me. It was the best thing I was ever told when it comes to welding. I was a pretty good Mig welder and he said it showed in my Tig work. Then went on to say It was not a good thing. I just looked at him confused. He said, just slow down. I was used to moving at the wire speed the Mig welder was set at. With a Tig welder there is no set wire speed. You control everything and it will let you keep perfect position, heat and wire feed to puddle. Position is what makes the pearls around the tube. Trust me it takes a lot of practice to make welds that you can just polish with a scotch bright and move on. Your well on your way. I don't know if my old issue applies to you at all but might give you something to think about.
    The Wizzard

ratrodrodder, Stogy, AHotRod and 6 others like this.
  22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Saw your car in this months Goodguys gazette

loudbang likes this.
  23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Spent most of my life tig welding. The most important thing I can tell you is always always have your torch hand (elbow) anchored.
    Whether it be mig or tig.
    If you aren’t working at a table to anchor your elbow, at least tuck your elbow into your waist.
    You won’t believe the control you’ll have.
    Later you may improve without anchoring.

24. squirrel

squirrel

thanks, that's something that I've sort of learned....the trick, of course, is to figure out how to anchor your torch hand! And then, figure out how to run the pedal. Or perhaps find another way to control the torch?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  25. "find another way to control the torch". Robotics?

flatford39 and loudbang like this.
  26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Jim, when you can lay on your side on the floor and run the pedal with the side of your knee while welding under a car overhead ,you've graduated. :D

27. Yep,
    Get a rope and tie your elbow to your side for muscle memory training,
    Google tig finger and I bet you have one laying around, maybe off an old spark plug ??? Take the min and Build yourself an anchor. A clamp, vice grip, piece of scrap, or even walk the cup.

Aint that the truth.

Masters degree when you're so far in and twisted around that your co worker runs the pedal and it cant leak, or you scab some junk together and hang the pedal anyplace but where it belongs

28. When it comes to Anchoring your hand while welding tube I really like these. index.jpg They hold tight and don't leave a mark.
    The Wizzard

loudbang, Thor1, Doctorterry and 2 others like this.
  29. squirrel

squirrel

Another class happened yesterday and today. I took the Hawley class, and made enough passes to apply for my NHRA license.